Anti-Racism group back Malky Mackay for SFA job

Anti-racism campaigners have backed the appointment of Malky Mackay as the Scottish Football Association's new performance director.

Mackay is expected to be unveiled in the job, three years after being sacked by Premier League club Cardiff City.

Allegations later emerged that he had exchanged racist and sexist text messages.

Show Racism the Red Card said Mackay had undergone equality and diversity training, and "wished him well".

But SNP MSP Clare Haughey called on the SFA to "see sense" and rule out Mackay as a candidate, arguing that his appointment would send out the wrong signals.

Mackay was the subject of an English FA investigation in 2014 concerning text messages he had sent containing discriminatory language.

The Scot apologised for his actions and stated a desire to return to football.

The SFA is expected to unveil Mackay in the role of performance director on Thursday.

'Very regrettable'

The post became vacant when former Manchester United striker Brian McClair quit in July.

In a statement issued to BBC Scotland, Show Racism the Red Card said: "After admitting to sending text messages that were very regrettable and disrespectful to other cultures, Malky Mackay underwent equality and diversity training through an education programme with the FA and we wish him well in his new role at the SFA."

After a lengthy investigation, the Football Association said last year that Mackay would face no action over the text messages, which it said had been sent with a "legitimate expectation of privacy".

But it said Mackay had been spoken to "about the inappropriateness of terms used in the messages".

Mr Mackay's agent, Raymond Sparkes, told BBC Scotland that the FA's investigative committee had examined 9,000 texts exchanged between Mackay and Cardiff City's former head of player recruitment Iain Moody.

Of these, three sent by Mackay were found to have been unacceptable - with Mackay immediately apologising.

Mr Sparkes added: "If you were to know Malky Mackay, you would know him as a good man, from a good family, with good values.

"He is a talented individual, he has had three years of not being able to take his place back in a place of employment on the back of three text messages.

"We know why that penalty has been placed upon us, we have dealt with it, we want to get back to work and we didn't just apologise now - we apologised then."

Ms Haughey, the SNP MSP for Rutherglen, told the BBC's Good Morning Scotland programme that Scottish football had made "huge efforts" to tackle racism and homophobia and to promote women's football.

'Difficult place'

And she said appointing Mackay would risk sending a message that inappropriate behaviour was "no barrier to a top job in Scottish football".

Ms Haughey added: "Young people look to football for role models, and one of the most important jobs in Scottish football is not the place for someone who felt these conversations were an acceptable part of football culture.

"The SFA really needs to see sense and rule out this appointment."

Paul Goodwin, of the Scottish Football Supporters' Association, told the same programme that many fans were surprised that Mackay had emerged as the front-runner for the job.

But he said there had to be some sort of balance, and pointed out that people who have done "worse things" than Mackay had successfully been rehabilitated back into the system.

Mr Goodwin added: "It is a really a very difficult place for him to be, and I would suggest at this moment in time a difficult place for the SFA to be too."

Forgot he was still kicking about ffs 

Transparent, a taig in need of a job, a taig whose an unemployable pariah everywhere else in football. who else would give him a job ffs. so predictable.

Appointed the same day Cardiff take him to court for £10m for alleged financial shenanigans, what part about barge poles and not touching dont the sfa understand.

Mark Warburton has launched a stinging attack on journalists who have criticised Malky Mackay’s racist texts.

Warburton was assistant academy director at Watford when Mackay managed the Hornets and believes he has all the necessary credentials to make a success of the Hampden post.

But the Rangers boss rejected those criticising his impending appointment of SFA performance director and accused the media of employing "lazy journalism" with their recent coverage.

Warburton said: "I know Malky very well. He's a football man through and through. I've read some shocking statements about Malky.

"I get very disappointed when I see people copying and pasting articles from three-and-a-half years ago. I think that's lazy journalism.

"But I do know Malky's integrity, I know he's an honest football person. I've watched him work with young players and old players and he's a first-class football man.

"He's very knowledgeable, very articulate. He's good on the grass, good in the boardroom. He's a very smart guy and I know he'll do a great job for the SFA."

:drugang:

2 hours ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Mark Warburton has launched a stinging attack on journalists who have criticised Malky Mackay’s racist texts.

Warburton was assistant academy director at Watford when Mackay managed the Hornets and believes he has all the necessary credentials to make a success of the Hampden post.

But the Rangers boss rejected those criticising his impending appointment of SFA performance director and accused the media of employing "lazy journalism" with their recent coverage.

Warburton said: "I know Malky very well. He's a football man through and through. I've read some shocking statements about Malky.

"I get very disappointed when I see people copying and pasting articles from three-and-a-half years ago. I think that's lazy journalism.

"But I do know Malky's integrity, I know he's an honest football person. I've watched him work with young players and old players and he's a first-class football man.

"He's very knowledgeable, very articulate. He's good on the grass, good in the boardroom. He's a very smart guy and I know he'll do a great job for the SFA."

You've got to be a right bad bastard before Warburton says a bad word against anybody.

13 hours ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Embarrassing.

I don't like Mackay but he said some daft stuff in private like we all inevitably have, not a big fan of campaigns to keep people from getting jobs for basically nothing years after the events happened

Whether he's any good for the job ability wise is another matter

51 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

I don't like Mackay but he said some daft stuff in private like we all inevitably have, not a big fan of campaigns to keep people from getting jobs for basically nothing years after the events happened

Whether he's any good for the job ability wise is another matter

If a Bear had been collared texting half of what he did do you think he would be anywhere near working for the sfa? He has absolutely no qualifications for this job other than he's a tim who is unemployable