*** The Official Rangers vs Inverness Match Thread ***

RFCRobertson

big wes motm+clean sheet

that back 4 are our best option and have improved recently and another clean sheet today.

our midfield 3 are neither creative or defensively aware...... which I believe is our biggest issue .......usually you will have players who are not technically good but are strong defensively or the opposite technically Gd players going forward but can't tackle....... for me as much as I do want them to do well Halliday , Tav and holt are neither.

our front 3 look disjointed and unbalanced in attack.

3 points\clean sheet. But disappointing performance to say the least.

2 minutes ago, Theulstervolunteer said:

big wes motm+clean sheet

that back 4 are our best option and have improved recently and another clean sheet today.

our midfield 3 are neither creative or defensively aware...... which I believe is our biggest issue .......usually you will have players who are not technically good but are strong defensively or the opposite technically Gd players going forward but can't tackle....... for me as much as I do want them to do well Halliday , Tav and holt are neither.

our front 3 look disjointed and unbalanced in attack.

3 points\clean sheet. But disappointing performance to say the least.

The same midfield turned over Hamilton away with ease. Unfortunately occasionally players have bad games and this was of those occasions. 

Will definitely need to see an improvement away to St Johnstone who will be tough to break down. 

2 minutes ago, Lidl said:

The same midfield turned over Hamilton away with ease. Unfortunately occasionally players have bad games and this was of those occasions. 

Against Hamilton Tav spurned several opportunities going forward to kill the game Halliday was at fault for the goal we lost and holt had one of his quieter games? .....

i don't fault their effort but I'm hoping like most we will bring in better quality soon to improve. What we've got just now is what it is hopefully they will improve as they are also still young players.....

45 minutes ago, HG5 said:

We generally win ugly.

We've only won by more than one in 3 league games.

Not convincing at all.

That would be a good point if 'winning ugly' = winning by one goal. I can't think of another example of a game we have won (or drawn) where the opposition were the better side on the day.  

3 minutes ago, Briton said:

That would be a good point if 'winning ugly' = winning by one goal. I can't think of another example of a game we have won (or drawn) where the opposition were the better side on the day.  

Can think of plenty where we weren't the best!

Point is, we're scraping by.

There aren't many we deserved to win by a barrowload, either.

20 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Can think of plenty where we weren't the best!

Point is, we're scraping by.

There aren't many we deserved to win by a barrowload, either.

I can't think of any games that we weren't the better team and still won.  There were a good few we dominated and lost points. The only game we were perhaps a bit lucky was at Partick and they didn'y play nearly as well as ICT. 

1 hour ago, Chineseboy said:

On a side note, that has to be the worst travelling support I have ever seen from a top division side at Ibrox. Seriously, there was only about a hundred there, if that.

I've traveled to Inverness a few times for games. I can completely understand people patching the journey in either direction, especially for early kick-offs at this time of year.

Warburton was right to criticise the team today. We were sloppy in possession for the large majority of the game and we gave them a lot of chances. A team with a decent finisher would've punished us today.

Still a valuable 3 points however. Onwards and upwards.

Can't understand us at times. Total shite at Tynecastle, then two home wins, still a bit worried about trying to win away, but we did it.

So things are looking up,progress is being made, then today? Ok it was a win but it doesn't fill me with confidence for next week.

garner is a poor excuse for a centre forward, foderingham is back to his dithering best when it comes to getting shot of the ball quickly and holt has nobody giving him a dig out in midfield. it also baffles me people on here saying we need a central defensive midfielder or halliday isnt cutting it there

we shouldnt need a defensive midfielder in this league, we are probably one of the slowest teams offensively in the league and the last thing we need is another player slowing the play.  the pace the ball is moved at is pedestrian to say the least. its the same all the time......Foderingham by kick 5 yards outside the box to kiernan, squares it to hill who when pressed blooters it up to garner who nods it to nobody while landing on his arse as usual. 

Hopefully santa brings us a centre forward or sprinkles the 9in a row team with an anti- ageing dust 

3 minutes ago, Gascoigne8 said:

garner is a poor excuse for a centre forward, foderingham is back to his dithering best when it comes to getting shot of the ball quickly and holt has nobody giving him a dig out in midfield. it also baffles me people on here saying we need a central defensive midfielder or halliday isnt cutting it there

we shouldnt need a defensive midfielder in this league, we are probably one of the slowest teams offensively in the league and the last thing we need is another player slowing the play.  the pace the ball is moved at is pedestrian to say the least. its the same all the time......Foderingham by kick 5 yards outside the box to kiernan, squares it to hill who when pressed blooters it up to garner who nods it to nobody while landing on his arse as usual. 

Hopefully santa brings us a centre forward or sprinkles the 9in a row team with an anti- ageing dust 

Foderingham was our best player today. We should be happy we have him.

Just now, Chineseboy said:

Foderingham was our best player today. We should be happy we have him

1 minute ago, Chineseboy said:

Foderingham was our best player today. We should be happy we have him.

thats no really much of a statement tbf. hardly any of the team got pass marks imo. did you think foderingham was sharp with the play when he held onto the ball for nearly 20 seconds while the cally player was down? 

10 minutes ago, Gascoigne8 said:

it also baffles me people on here saying we need a central defensive midfielder or halliday isnt cutting it there

we shouldnt need a defensive midfielder in this league, we are probably one of the slowest teams offensively in the league and the last thing we need is another player slowing the play.

We need a solid defensive midfielder to give us a physical presence in midfield to stop us getting bullied in that area of the pitch,also to keep the shape when our fullbacks go forward.

9 minutes ago, Gascoigne8 said:

We don't need a CDM to play the ball it's to Win the ball back, to tackle hard in the middle of the park,  then pass 5 years to the attacking players. 

This free's up the Lb and Rb to get forward and overlap, as they know there is still 3 sitting.

It's then up to the Attacking 5 to move,  play high tempo passes and for fuck sake shoot.

We need to work on corners get plenty in game and don't punish teams. We need some attacking wingers that actually cut in and shoot/score.

Half way through the season at we still see the same shortcomings.

+Over run in midfield 

+toothless upfront

Just now, Gascoigne8 said:

we need to stop playing 5 yards from the edge of our box.

Agreed, we need to stop doing a lot of things,but simply put a 4-3-3 formation will never work if you don't have a quality DM.

If we had quality through the spine of our team (2 cbs,dm,2 ams and striker) we wouldn't be nearly 17 points behind them on Christmas Eve.

Just now, FlashHarryForrester said:

We don't need a CDM to play the ball it's to Win the ball back, to tackle hard in the middle of the park,  then pass 5 years to the attacking players. 

This free's up the Lb and Rb to get forward and overlap, as they know there is still 3 sitting.

It's then up to the Attacking 5 to move,  play high tempo passes and for fuck sake shoot.

We need to work on corners get plenty in game and don't punish teams. We need some attacking wingers that actually cut in and shoot/score.

Half way through the season at we still see the same shortcomings.

+Over run in midfield 

+toothless upfront

we need the midfield to do its job, get a foot in, win tackles.  we are passing the buck here about needing new players. we need the ones we have got to start putting a shift in. 

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

Agreed, we need to stop doing a lot of things,but simply put a 4-3-3 formation will never work if you don't have a quality DM.

If we had quality through the spine of our team (2 cbs,dm,2 ams and striker) we wouldn't be nearly 17 points behind them on Christmas Eve.

fair point mate but as i put in my last post i dont think its the position we need to change its the cunts playing the system that need to get the finger out 

Just now, Gascoigne8 said:

fair point mate but as i put in my last post i dont think its the position we need to change its the cunts playing the system that need to get the finger out 

I know where you're coming from and completely agree that the players need to wind their neck in more,but today hasn't been the first time we've seen how bad we can actually be.

Still 4 wins out of 4 and hopefully a good result and performance on Wednesday will make us forget about that pish we watched today and spur us on for the game against the manky mob.