*** The Official Rangers vs Inverness Match Thread ***

RFCRobertson

Just now, Briton said:

Couldn't keep the ball today.  Saying that; we all know it's a cliche but you need to win ugly. We would have dropped points earlier in the season. Well played Fod; definitely MotM.

We generally win ugly.

We've only won by more than one in 3 league games.

Not convincing at all.

Just now, ex-guardsman said:

I'll take that not good at all but 3pts is the most important thing for now.

Earlier in the season its possible we'd have dropped points in a game like this so the win is welcome.

But.

Far too many time we find ourselves struggling for one half of a game or the other, or in this case for the whole game.  This despite all the positive pre-match soundbites that come from Warburton and the players.   Living on the edge of just scraping a win in some games, and dropping winnable points in many others is a level of mediocrity that is not good enough for Rangers.  Whether the manager is good enough to lead and motivate the players to much better performances and results to the point where a credible challenge for 55 can be made is another question.  I'm not convinced he has the leadership skillset for that.  

Just hanging on for a win against the bottom side is a very poor show.  Not for the first time Warburton did not seem to know what to do to energise the team to produce a much more convincing performance.

1 minute ago, FlashHarryForrester said:

Poor.

Did not see one midfielder make a tackle today, so week in the centre, Inverness bullied every player today. 

Need to toughen up, really need a solid midfielder,  Haliday isn't the answer at CDM.  

Not one outfield player impressed today, should have all been playing.for a start next week..

Looks like we will lose Wallace for the game which is a.massive blow...

Team needs big investment.  Dominating CDM is the start, left winger is Key..

Ohalloran waste of money, Barton huge waste of money, Garner waste of money, 

Crooks, Rossiter what was the point never fit and.not selected.

Team currently.has a makeshift CDM, Right back playing midfield, Strikers playing on the wings.

Needs sorting Asap.

We need players who don't play by numbers, players with a bit of grey matter and a bit of vision.

Yes its another three points, which is always important. However nobody that supports Rangers could find today's performance acceptable.

Midfield not fit for purpose, Haliday and Holt are far to lightweight and technically poor, while Garner up front is not work for me.

That was awful, what on earth has happened to the midfield? Ponderous on the ball and making the wrong decisions. Windass was woeful, but I forgive him because he's bound to be off the pace. I thought the defence did its job and has been for a few weeks. The lack of goals isn't due to the quality of strikers in my opinion, it's due to the lack of poise in possession and penetration in attack from midfield. I think Garner will come good. Maybe that's because he reminds me of Hateley, who was terrible when he first arrived, but put himself about. Still, I think it might all be part of us having turned a corner. This time we were terrible and still won. Earlier in the season we would not have.

Just now, Reformation Bear said:

Earlier in the season its possible we'd have dropped points in a game like this so the win is welcome.

But.

Far too many time we find ourselves struggling for one half of a game or the other, or in this case for the whole game.  This despite all the positive pre-match soundbites that come from Warburton and the players.   Living on the edge of just scraping a win in some games, and dropping winnable points in many others is a level of mediocrity that is not good enough for Rangers.  Whether the manager is good enough to lead and motivate the players to much better performances and results to the point where a credible challenge for 55 can be made is another question.  I'm not convinced he has the leadership skillset for that.  

Just hanging on for a win against the bottom side is a very poor show.  Not for the first time Warburton did not seem to know what to do to energise the team to produce a much more convincing performance.

I was talking with my daughters bf this week and we both think Halliday needs rested or put on the bench for a couple of games but then who do you put in there with energy as we have lost that win the ball from the back and then zip it to the front 3.

MW definitely needs a fast DM and tough tackling which I think Rossiter could be but he seems to made of glass so again the priority should be that DM and a CH cause when Hill is out we lose goals which shows he is a key player for us when he was probably meant to just be a bit part player when needed.

Today was a million miles where we want to be but as you say earlier in the season we would probably have lost that game so at least we are holding on for wins all be it nervy as fuck. 

2 minutes ago, writingranger said:

That was awful, what on earth has happened to the midfield? Ponderous on the ball and making the wrong decisions. Windass was woeful, but I forgive him because he's bound to be off the pace. I thought the defence did its job and has been for a few weeks. The lack of goals isn't due to the quality of strikers in my opinion, it's due to the lack of poise in possession and penetration in attack from midfield. I think Garner will come good. Maybe that's because he reminds me of Hateley, who was terrible when he first arrived, but put himself about. Still, I think it might all be part of us having turned a corner. This time we were terrible and still won. Earlier in the season we would not have.

I think Hateley had a better set of basics & track record behind him than Garner, so the likelihood was that he'd come good eventually.

No such hope offered by Garner.

He'd to well to have a look at Diego Costa - another angry man, who's stopped scrapping & started playing.

4 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

Garner may not be the best player we've ever had, but he's the best option we have for the centre forward role.

How long can we continue to play a striker that does not score goals?

£1.8m for a guy that's got the same number of goals as Clint Hill this season.