Ibrox Stadium

The Godfather

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Copland bear said:

We could put another tier on the govan (only), and fill those corners in properly with the screens hanging the way the beggers do . The Copland and broomie stands we could move the entrance and turnstiles back 10 ft and tha new space would allow us to renovate the bottom of the stands with bigger toilets, more disabled toilets and better food outlets.  

To me that's the cheapest way to get it to about 62,000 but as stadiums go apart from international arenas the only one that is better is the Emerites but it does not have the history of our main stand and our stadium is made of brick, not cheap concrete blocks and a meccano set , as that is how the build them now, cheap.

I have always thought the way Spurs current screens are would look better than the way they hang at the piggery if we done it right 

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Aye but it's also in shit state inside and in need of a lot of repair and deep cleaning. The area round Ibrox needs done up as well but not a fucking chance will GCC put any money our way.

It's not so much repair on the inside but more just a bit of cosmetic makeover, Not just the inside but the outside also, I think a lot of people think the stadium is worse than it actually is when it isn't.

If Ibrox was a women, She would only require her makeup to be redone.  

8 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Aye but it's also in shit state inside and in need of a lot of repair and deep cleaning. The area round Ibrox needs done up as well but not a fucking chance will GCC put any money our way.

GHA are building houses between Edmiston Drive and the PRW. Should help the area look a bit better.

I was passing today and noticed there were 4 Rangers seats lying on the spare ground. The filth said their fans didn't rip seats out during their last visit. Must have been our own fans tben, eh?:notallowed:

The stadium is structurally sound. Brick and solid steel, just look at the images of the reconstruction works. The only thing the stadium needs is an update of the toilet and catering facilities, and a lick of paint. Expansion of the capacity must wait until we have a team on the pitch that 60,000+ people will want to pay up to watch. 

I think the extra tier/seating question has been discussed many times & I believe the break even point far outweighs the actual costs. What gets me is that the frontage & interior are so steeped in history some body like Historic Scotland should be pushing it as a tourist attraction.

8 hours ago, The Godfather said:

As we are seeing stadiums getting bigger, more modern and the smaller sides moving to these arenas I still wouldn't swap any of those 60 plus thousand stadiums for the one we have.

It might not be the biggest in Britain or even Scotland but IMO it's by far the most impressive in terms of structure, atmosphere and tradition. How many of these kind of stadiums are left nowadays? They are a dying breed and I for one hope we keep ours the way it is (well a bit of a touch up and standing area in the near future) as it oozes class.

Just look at the beauty!

ibrox-stadium.jpg

1200px-Panorama_2_CROP.JPG

ibrox-stadium.jpg

j.jpg

ibrox-stadium-external-facade.jpg

1781035872_fcc2a58e5b_b.jpg

ibrox-stadium.jpg

ibrox-stadium-rangers-at-night_3248057.j

800px-Ibrox_Stadium_Glasgow_Rangers_v_In

Don't forget that the Main Stand is also a Listed Building, unlike the mechano dome.

8 hours ago, B1872 said:

Would love the corners to be filled in between the main stand and Broomloan and Copland. However some architect will be along soon to tell me that it's impossible! ?

Also would love the brown wooden looking part outside of the Govan stand to be changed. ??

the story at the time it was upgraded was that because th main stnd blocks most of the sun filling in the caorners would stop wind blowing thro. and remeber the park is not far above sea l;evel and it was easy flooded in the 50,s

9 hours ago, B1872 said:

Would love the corners to be filled in between the main stand and Broomloan and Copland. However some architect will be along soon to tell me that it's impossible! ?

Also would love the brown wooden looking part outside of the Govan stand to be changed. ??

You'd need to find a way to remove seats from the main stand and find a way of getting people in and out of the club deck since filling those corners in would mean the stairs would need removed. 

I was in the stadium within the last week and had a good look around when it was empty. It's absolutely filthy from top to bottom. Have a look at the walls and roof inside and out of the Copland stand - not been steam cleaned in years. The pavements and streets surrounding the stadium are disgusting and falling apart. There are broken railings at the Broomloan roundabout that have been like that for over two years. Drive round the same roundabout and you will drive over craters in the road.

The whole area is ripe for redevelopment - 5 mins from the city centre, 10 mins from the airport, subway, motorway entrance and exit (M77 and M8), nearby huge park, regular buses into town, huge supermarket on the doorstep.

Our catering is absolutely vile and vastly overpriced with lengthy queues (stark contrast to Hampden) - and we make next to nothing from it. That's still an Ashley type contract I think that we are tied to for ages - anyone know more?

The majority of what needs done is just good old fashioned soap and water, nothing fancy. Anything else can wait just now.

If the board started a "fabric fund" or similar to spruce the place up - I would contribute some dosh without hesitation, wouldn't everyone?

3 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

I was passing today and noticed there were 4 Rangers seats lying on the spare ground. The filth said their fans didn't rip seats out during their last visit. Must have been our own fans tben, eh?:notallowed:

A lot of the seats at the Broomloan end of the Main Stand are being replaced just now mate.

6 hours ago, LochendBilly said:

Bars in the concourses for a wee pint (which will never happen living in this backwater)

Sounds good - but to be honest, 3/4 of the time I am at Ibrox it's absolutely freezing and the last thing on my mind would be a cold beer :-)

13 hours ago, The Godfather said:

As we are seeing stadiums getting bigger, more modern and the smaller sides moving to these arenas I still wouldn't swap any of those 60 plus thousand stadiums for the one we have.

It might not be the biggest in Britain or even Scotland but IMO it's by far the most impressive in terms of structure, atmosphere and tradition. How many of these kind of stadiums are left nowadays? They are a dying breed and I for one hope we keep ours the way it is (well a bit of a touch up and standing area in the near future) as it oozes class.

Just look at the beauty!

ibrox-stadium.jpg

1200px-Panorama_2_CROP.JPG

ibrox-stadium.jpg

j.jpg

ibrox-stadium-external-facade.jpg

1781035872_fcc2a58e5b_b.jpg

ibrox-stadium.jpg

ibrox-stadium-rangers-at-night_3248057.j

800px-Ibrox_Stadium_Glasgow_Rangers_v_In

Dying breed no just dying a slow death

14 hours ago, wearethepeople1 said:

It's an option. A £10 "surcharge" or whatever on each season ticket it would cover all the seats in the stadium. Or even £20 with the proviso that it would be spent on stadium maintainence. 

£20 x 40,000 seasons tickets is £800,000. For that kinda of money the stadium should be able to get a decent bit of TLC and new seats. 

I don't think that would happen, the blazers would probably stick it in their pockets. Maybe topping up Robertson bonus.