377 members have voted

1. 1. Is he?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll never read anything in to friendly results though, I don't understand people who get all stressed out over a friendly

But the Progres result and numerous performances last season have shown he's tactically clueless

The board can't go back now, they've too the gamble on him and backed him heavily

This is probably the most dread I've ever felt before the start of a new season. We'll be fighting for third place with Hibs at this rate 

Just now, Gaz52 said:

I don't think the guy has a clue to be honest, we don't have any sort of game plan under him, it's like watching a McCoist side

The only thing that looked positive to me was that we appeared very difficult to break down; I know we eventually lost the game, but the changes being made possibly contributed to that. That said we showed very little going forward, and the midfield composition looked compressed which seemed to affect our ability to create. Being a friendly, it was almost set up to prevent a defeat, which may suggest the manager even feels the pressure, even though it was a pre-season friendly. That would be a concern.

He sets up to defend deep against teams that will set up deep against us, it's not a Rangers style of play, it might have worked in Mexico where his side weren't as big or as feared as Rangers on the pitch, but we need to be out taking games by the scruff of the neck, dictating the play, not letting the St Johnstone's of the world play their game and we sit deep hoping for the odd counter attack 

I always judge on friendlies and want us to win them - I can't understand any Rangers fan that doesn't care about winning games. 

Its a pride thing. From under 20's to the Tennants sixes they're all representing the club name. It's vital we get associated with winning again. 

10 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

I'll never read anything in to friendly results though, I don't understand people who get all stressed out over a friendly

But the Progres result and numerous performances last season have shown he's tactically clueless

The board can't go back now, they've too the gamble on him and backed him heavily

This is probably the most dread I've ever felt before the start of a new season. We'll be fighting for third place with Hibs at this rate 

I don't normally either, and in most situations I'd laugh at folk getting upset by them - however, rather than the individual result that concerns me, it's the pattern. 

We lost a load of records last year, were humiliated in Europe in this one, and nothing about any of our football in preparation for this season has been any different. 

We don't create enough chances or score enough goals, and although we seem more solid at the back we still give away chance after chance. 

There's no improvement or clear strategy / shape /  philosophy at all since he took over, which is very worrying. We MUST close the gap this year, or nine in a row is a formality. 

2 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

I don't normally either, and in most situations I'd laugh at folk getting upset by them - however, rather than the individual result that concerns me, it's the pattern. 

We lost a load of records last year, were humiliated in Europe in this one, and nothing about any of our football in preparation for this season has been any different. 

We don't create enough chances or score enough goals, and although we seem more solid at the back we still give away chance after chance. 

There's no improvement or clear strategy / shape /  philosophy at all since he took over, which is very worrying. We MUST close the gap this year, or nine in a row is a formality. 

Yeah I agree, the pattern is a massive worry, it feels like the players aren't responding to what he's wanting

But in his defence, and it's a weak defence, it's still a new bunch of players that are trying to play together. That takes time, under MW it didn't but we were in the Championship and had good enough players to get us out of it with their eyes closed

Different kettle of fish now

1 minute ago, Gaz52 said:

Yeah I agree, the pattern is a massive worry, it feels like the players aren't responding to what he's wanting

But in his defence, and it's a weak defence, it's still a new bunch of players that are trying to play together. That takes time, under MW it didn't but we were in the Championship and had good enough players to get us out of it with their eyes closed

Different kettle of fish now

Players aren't responding or are unable to respond or a mix of both.    It may be a question of time but time seems to be running out.    There would be no point in the gelling / response process kicking in solidly in the 2nd quarter of the season or later because by then - if results are not good enough - no amount of his pleading for more patience is going to work imo.  It'd be a replay of the Warburton and Weir constant pleas for more patience when in fact they only thing they were really after was finding a way out, not in building a proper Rangers title challenging side (imo they realised around Christmas time last season that it was utterly beyond them).

Pedro's assertion that we would see a very different (better and more competitive) Rangers side this season with a clear recognition that they need to (his words) 'win, win, win' looks like being talk full of hot air ambition with nothing of substance to back it up.  The games against the Luxembourg part timers were nothing short of disastrous imo, coming on the back of a poor finish to the season with bad OF defeat and then the Aberdeen defeat at Ibrox.      Even allowing time for him to evaluate the squad and then time to bring in a bunch of first choice new players early in order to prepare properly for the EL games and then for the new season he has fallen short.  Way short.  Worryingly short.   He may not be worried or alarmed and be convinced that the right goal moments will come but unfortunately he's not producing anything to give us that confidence. 

His words are not now inspiring, they now start to look like building a defence of hope and wait and see.    Well the 2 friendlies will tell us a lot more.  So will the league games to the end of Sept if he is here that long.  Because a bad start is only going to massive pressure on him and the team.  Pressure which I doubt he could survive.  

8 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Also, the Zizkov away leg we had a back four of Muscat, Moore, Malcolm and Ross. Not much better than what our back 4 will be this season! Numan and Amo returned for the second leg but weren't fully fit IIRC whilst Konterman played CB and Moore RB.

Those two results were shocking, but Progres result was far worse. Part time team that finished 4th in Luxembourg ffs, how anyone seriously believes that result isn't worse than those two I will never fathom.

Spot on, I don't think we're capable of much more under Pedro, hope I'm wrong but nothing suggests otherwise. 

It's almost like watching a car crash in slow motion 

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

Also, the Zizkov away leg we had a back four of Muscat, Moore, Malcolm and Ross. Not much better than what our back 4 will be this season! Numan and Amo returned for the second leg but weren't fully fit IIRC whilst Konterman played CB and Moore RB.

Those two results were shocking, but Progres result was far worse. Part time team that finished 4th in Luxembourg ffs, how anyone seriously believes that result isn't worse than those two I will never fathom.

Spot on, I don't think we're capable of much more under Pedro, hope I'm wrong but nothing suggests otherwise. 

The match yesterday was very similar to both matches against Progres, and again similar to many matches we ended up playing at the end of last season. Strangely, it appeared we were trying to set up very defensively in what was a pre season friendly, against a team we will be expected to beat, both at home and away, next season. Looking at that team yesterday it was difficult to see any real creativity on the park, and if that was in any way near our best eleven then we will struggle. Yet again the real problem area hasn't been fixed, and that is a creative player in midfield; the defence, of course, is important, but we are again looking as if we will pose no threat to an opposition's defence.

2 hours ago, eskbankloyal said:

With his budget he should have been comfortably second in the league. There's absolutely no doubt that Pedro has been backed to much greater extent than Warburton ever was but it doesn't change the fact he's a loser. He made defeats and draws become acceptable. I sat in a Q&A at Ibrox with him where he tried to justify the various defeats we suffered under him (Hibs, Aberdeen & celtic) and tried to make them seem unacceptable.

FWIW I've said for a while now Pedro wont be here by the time celtic come to Ibrox at the end of September. Our problems go much deeper than just the manager.

Good post Ross. 

3 hours ago, eskbankloyal said:

With his budget he should have been comfortably second in the league. There's absolutely no doubt that Pedro has been backed to much greater extent than Warburton ever was but it doesn't change the fact he's a loser. He made defeats and draws become acceptable. I sat in a Q&A at Ibrox with him where he tried to justify the various defeats we suffered under him (Hibs, Aberdeen & celtic) and tried to make them seem unacceptable.

FWIW I've said for a while now Pedro wont be here by the time celtic come to Ibrox at the end of September. Our problems go much deeper than just the manager.

3 hours ago, eskbankloyal said:

Much deeper than the manager. Unless your saying its is a board issue then I don't see how you can say that. His new players need to be given a chance before we judge imo

30 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Much deeper than the manager. Unless your saying its is a board issue then I don't see how you can say that. His new players need to be given a chance before we judge imo

Having so many south americans in Scottish football worries me ... I can't think of any British players who have made a success over there or even been over there so it obviously is a complete culture shock  

16 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

Having so many south americans in Scottish football worries me ... I can't think of any British players who have made a success over there or even been over there so it obviously is a complete culture shock  

I think we've only 3. Herrera, Pena and Morelos. And Morelos was playing in Finland. 

Cardoso, Dalcio, Alves and Candeias are Portuguese, with Alves being well travelled. 

Dorrans and Jack being Scottish obviously. 

Its not like it's a squad of Mexicans. There's only two. 

I think the majority have looked alright individually, but problem is that we're totally shapeless and directionless. I don't know what Pedro is setting us up to try and do? Seems like there's no 'plan A' to coin a MW phrase. 

Without doubt there are a few better players at Ibrox than last season. But will it be a case of these players could do much better under another manager? This man is under immense pressure already  and in line with his comments i dont think he actually realises this.

Not all Rangers fan are on forums and speaking to a couple recently  who dont frequent the internet everyone is of the same opinion they have no confidence in the man. 

Rangers have appointed this guy and backed him with serious money, surely some of this cash could have tempted a better manager? I sincerely hope he hits the league season running and proves everyone wrong but you cant help thinking someone has made a massive fuck up and id like to know the name responsible if it wasn't King.

1 hour ago, Thermopylae said:

So we lost to St Johnstone ... beginning to run out of excuses :duh:

It's become a comedy of the absurd. I simply can not believe how bloody hard it has become for us to put the ball in back of the net. 

16 minutes ago, delparlane said:

It's become a comedy of the absurd. I simply can not believe how bloody hard it has become for us to put the ball in back of the net. 

It's going to continue as long as we have a midfield that makes no impact into the forward positions. I thought when we signed Pena we were getting such a player to play that role; perhaps not.

46 minutes ago, OhW said:

You said there are "cunts on here who actually WANT him to fail". Nobody wants him to fail.

Then again, you also said "are your comprehension lacking" so I probably won't pay attention to things you say.

So nobody wants him to fail, I'd say that is an opinion, which is exactly what I was expressing and is backed up by the many threads/posts on the subject.  The 'I told you so brigade' have had him in their sights even prior to his arrival in Glasgow.  

Wanted rid of him after getting kicked out Europe. Calmer head now and just have to accept that he's here and needs our backing 100% until proven it's unjustified. Lots of managers get off to a bad start. Esp with European qualifiers. So harsh to judge him and his signings based on an incomplete squad in a knock out competition 

1 hour ago, Turnberry18 said:

It's going to continue as long as we have a midfield that makes no impact into the forward positions. I thought when we signed Pena we were getting such a player to play that role; perhaps not.

Bit hard to judge given he's had 45 minutes of a friendly only. 

I'd expect more goals with Dorrans and Pena, but fuck knows. 

2 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Pretty sure certain players would've been impressed with the way he came in and banished the duds.

Then they seen his signings at training.

Then they lose faith in him.

I remember somebody saying that Pena had been awful but are the other new signings not showing up well in training either?