Realistic Expectation Next Season

Rangers Finishing Position 2017/8  

336 members have voted

1. 1. What position will we hold in the league at the end of the 2017/8 season?

• First
    • Second
    • Third
    • Fourth
    • Fifth
    • Lower than Fifth

28 minutes ago, kaiser1041 said:

Jack is better than anything we had and Dorrans is a huge leap in quality add to that the powerful centre backs and that's only the players I know Pena and Herrera must be an improvement on waghorn and windass.

its easy to latch on to the negatives at this moment but you'd be crazy to see this squad isn't better 

Not denying Alves and Dorrans are way better than anything we had.

As for Pena and Herrera, i hope you aren't disappointed.

Like I said on another thread, the minimum we should be expecting is second...

At best, that means we should be aiming to match our results against the rest of the league with what they achieve.  That said, if they achieve what they did last year then it will be very difficult to match them.  But if we do, then it leaves the games against them as pretty much title deciders.  That would constitute progress and success.

We have the resources to do that and our manager has been backed.  Being honest with myself, I don't expect us to win the league but there really can't be any excuses if we're not a lot closer.

4 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

But does the budget work that way anyway? Surely any budget he has is for this period, not for the whole season? Unless of course he under spends on a budget, then he may hope for that to be carried over, but would he have a budget where he has to think about January, with it being spending over a season? I'm not even sure if he would be involved in any budget, in that sense; his job would be to look at the needs of the squad, and tell the board surely?

I see your point but if he has what he needs for the first team and doesn't need to improve for the season, then any excess could be carried over and invested into the youth. I hope he's got it right first time with the 1st team then DK's SD windfall can be invested into the youth system.

3 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

I see your point but if he has what he needs for the first team and doesn't need to improve for the season, then any excess could be carried over and invested into the youth. I hope he's got it right first time with the 1st team then DK's SD windfall can be invested into the youth system.

I think naturally he will have to, but I wouldn't like to think that's on his mind at the moment.

We won't win it. Second should be achievable but I can see another season of turmoil ahead. He has brought in some decent players but it also looks like he has maybe signed players for the sake of it. Would rather not have bothered with the likes of Dalcio and Candeias but put more effort into getting Walker. 

Aim for the title, as always. In reality though, we'll stutter along and be out of contention by November, Pedro will be sacked and we will finish third.

No confidence in the manager; doesn't seem to have a plan or shape in mind or if he does he can't get it across to the players. Recruitment middle to front hasn't impressed so far and it looks like we'll be relying on Miller scoring again - that's if Pedro isn't playing him wide or in midfield :confused:

This season currently gives me the fear.

I won't see Marseille (cheating froggy bastards) on Saturday or Sheffield Wednesday next week and I will reserve my final judgement until after then.

I hope by not being optimistic or having high expectations we will become pleasantly surprised as the early part of the season progresses but the issue I can't get away from is that we will be treated to the same drudgery as last season and the mhanks winning everything.

a desperate 4th behind them, the sheep and the junkies

Expectation should be first.

But I have a horrible feeling we will finish 3rd again. I think the way it will go is we will be massively off the pace until January, they will sack the manager and bring in someone Scottish.

I have never felt so un-optimistic about a season ever. Before the Progres game I was thinking we could win the league.

2 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

Barton didn't get a chance, and Kranjcar got injured, You make a good argument against complacency though, and hopefully these players mean we will be far better than last season.

He was shite in his 5 games here.

Brown wiped the floor with him in the Old Firm game. And if he was still here he would be banned from playing at the moment.

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

He was shite in his 5 games here.

Brown wiped the floor with him in the Old Firm game. And if he was still here he would be banned from playing at the moment.

I said he didn't get a chance here and you say he had five games; which doesn't really contradict what I said.

10 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I said he didn't get a chance here and you say he had five games; which doesn't really contradict what I said.

I think he had 5 chances and he was rubbish :lol:

Having said that I rate him as a footballer in general. If he had stayed at Manchester City I think he would have gone on to captain them and he would probably have 2 Premier League titles in his pocket and 60+ caps for England.

Instead he was sold to Newcastle as City were on the way up, which was his own fault. I don't think i've ever seen a more self-inflicted case of screwing up a top level career.

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I think he had 5 chances and he was rubbish :lol:

Having said that I rate him as a footballer in general. If he had stayed at Manchester City I think he would have gone on to captain them and he would probably have 2 Premier League titles in his pocket and 60+ caps for England.

Instead he was sold to Newcastle as City were on the way up which was his own fault. I don't think i've ever seen a more self-inflicted case of screwing up a top level career.

It's amazing how easily it happens to a playing career, where one bad transfer goes on to affect a whole career. Great post btw.

15 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Expectation should be first.

Why?

We're up against the bheasts who gave a settled team and manager, more internationalists, pay more for fees and wages, have established sponsorship and commercial revenue streams and have CL windfall.

Why should we EXPECT to beat that this season?

It's far from realistic to expect that regardless of our historical title haul, given where we're at just now.

And when the expectation is so unrealistic then the blame and fall out comes even sooner when inevitably it doesn't happen.

Just now, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Why?

We're up against the bheasts who gave a settled team and manager, more internationalists, pay more for fees and wages, have established sponsorship and commercial revenue streams and have CL windfall.

Why should we EXPECT to beat that this season?

It's far from realistic to expect that regardless of our historical title haul, given where we're at just now.

And when the expectation is so unrealistic then the blame and fall out comes even sooner when inevitably it doesn't happen.

Expectation should always be first. If you let standards slip then we may as well give up our title of 'World's Most Successful Club' to Celtic in advance because they will have it in the next few years.

If the players can't live up to the expectations then they shouldn't be here in the first place.

4 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

It's amazing how easily it happens to a playing career, where one bad transfer goes on to affect a whole career. Great post btw.

Yeah, and I mean completely his own fault. 

He already had a rap sheet as long as my arm, plus had been sent home from Thailand, stubbed that cigarette in that kids eye etc then he assaulted Dabo.

If he could have kept the lid on his temper he would have had a great career - and I think he knows it. There is an upper limit to being aggressive and for a international class player that limit is a Roy Keane, Graeme Souness level. He was well over that and not just on the park but off it too.