12 Angry Men

D'Artagnan

14 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

What evidence suggests they would 'comfortably' beat Warburton's team? Assume this is solely based on individual comparison's as competitive performances haven't suggested so..

Both the individual players and performances. I don't think you can argue that Cardoso and Alves at the back is a better pairing than Kiernan and Wilson, same goes for centre mid and although not as clear cut, Morelos looks more dangerous than Waghorn, and Warburton wouldn't play to Garner's strengths so I'd say the forwards are better too. Overall the players are definately an improvement.

As a manger, we know too well Warburton's failings: 60min like for like subs regardless of score; no plan B, etc etc. Pedro has shown a willingness to adapt his tactics at least and recognise when things aren't going his way - it's not always paid off but i'll take that over Warburton's blind faith in the '4-3-3 pass it in the goal' tactics for each and every team he came up against.

In regards to the original post, I just can't accept the comparisons or the excuses about refs especially the Hearts game.

Ferguson won things prior with Aberdeen, Advocaat was successful elsewhere as well. What has Pedro done in his career?

He's won a few trophys in Mexico, have a look on wikipedia. My comparison was with Warburton - what did he win before joining us? Fuck all. And what did he win with us? A diddy cup and promotion which I've no doubt Pedro would've managed as would most proffesional managers given the disparity in resources and facilities between us and the competition at the time.

Ferguson in his first full season took United from 11th to 2nd. He showed progression, results are going backwards under this man..

Also this is our worst start to a league campaign since 89-90 season, which says it all.

I wasn't overly happy with Pedro's appointment, but I'm firmly of the opinion he's better than Warburton.

Plus who ended up winning the league in 89-90?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

Because we can save the money and spend it on a better manager and squad next season. Rather than wasting it on a shite squad which is winning nothing anyway.

Warburton until the end of last season, and then a sensible appointment during the summer would have been better than this. 

This is the worst post I have ever seen. It's the 24th August ffs

5 minutes ago, Frank Harrison said:

This is the worst post I have ever seen. It's the 24th August ffs

Hang on, I'm arguing against getting rid of Pedro immediately.

Surely getting rid of him now is going to be more likely to be writing the season off than keeping him. Is Derek mcinnes coming here knowing that he's to work with a squad of south American and Portuguese players, a lot of whom don't speak English? 

I haven't written the season off. I'm saying I don't think we should spend any more money now, money that we probably don't have, chasing a small improvement this season, an improvement which won't be big enough to catch sellik this season. 

5 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

Hang on, I'm arguing against getting rid of Pedro immediately.

Surely getting rid of him now is going to be more likely to be writing the season off than keeping him. Is Derek mcinnes coming here knowing that he's to work with a squad of south American and Portuguese players, a lot of whom don't speak English? 

I haven't written the season off. I'm saying I don't think we should spend any more money now, money that we probably don't have, chasing a small improvement this season, an improvement which won't be big enough to catch sellik this season. 

Keeping him 'to save money' that could be spent next season is writing the season off.

Unless you're implying that McInnes is a racist, which I don't think you are, I don't get your point on him? So what if they're foreign? Footballers/managers all over the world work successfully with people from other countries.

This season isn't about catching them, it's about establishing us as by far best of the rest, Pedro doesn't seem capable of doing that.

1 minute ago, OhW said:

You said Pedro showed his tactical knowledge by stating we need to improve in the final third. I pointed out that Warburton said the same.

Yes, both recognised the failing but pedro is adapting the set up as a fix. 

Warburton just told them to do it better.

1 hour ago, Gman36 said:

True, we could win a cup. One cup in two seasons of what we've spent is a very poor return though. 

It's a better return than zero which you have already pre determined we'd have this season.

For all PC faults he hasn't signed poorly I personally think vast majority of the new signings have done well. Question marks still over Herrera & Pena but have to give them more time and minutes on the park before judging them. Was always going to be one or two poor signings when a manager brings in a lot of players - See Dalcio.

It's alright saying get rid of the manager but what message does that say to any potential takers for the job?  Have 10 -12 games with mixed results and your out on your arse?

even then the players might not get on with the new guy and then we get more 5-1 trouncings v the filth and no effort. It's not like we're Chelsea where we can sack managers and fund another 3-4 players the new manager will want.  It's a massive gamble sacking any manager in august after 3 league games.  It wont get us the right man for the job either.

19 minutes ago, Frank Harrison said:

Keeping him 'to save money' that could be spent next season is writing the season off.

Unless you're implying that McInnes is a racist, which I don't think you are, I don't get your point on him? So what if they're foreign? Footballers/managers all over the world work successfully with people from other countries.

This season isn't about catching them, it's about establishing us as by far best of the rest, Pedro doesn't seem capable of doing that.

It's the attitude that we simply must maximise our team every single year that's dooming us to staying exactly where we are right now. There's no building for the future in what we're doing. It's every penny we have, and then a bit more, flung onto the pitch each season. There's no developing young players, building a team, or building profits.

We are where we are just now, and because we're needing loans to prop up our current position we're doomed to slowly drift backwards from this current position.

Obviously this is absolutely shite, but we're all going to have to face up to it eventually. That's why I think we're one or two seasons away from a "sack the board" style revolt when folk finally wake up to the fact we're almost no better quality than the sheep etc. 

For me the jury's out at the moment with Pedro. I feel we have a better team than under Warburton but have yet to be convinced that Pedro has the managerial ability to win us the league. I would expect 2nd place in the league this season as a minimum ( and as a Rangers supporter I hate saying that but am being realistic) and if he achieve's that he will have met his target . A cup win and he will have exceeded it . If we can get a result at Parkhead because the Manager has set the team up correctly then that will give me a bit of hope . However next season I would be looking for us to win the league. The squad has improved but there is a lack of depth of quality. We financially can't pay the big fees so have to be clever in our recutiment . If we save money by getting Walker and MCLean on pre contracts for next season and get other quality players in by using the money saved as part of the fee for better playersso much the better.  

23 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

It's the attitude that we simply must maximise our team every single year that's dooming us to staying exactly where we are right now. There's no building for the future in what we're doing. It's every penny we have, and then a bit more, flung onto the pitch each season. There's no developing young players, building a team, or building profits.

We are where we are just now, and because we're needing loans to prop up our current position we're doomed to slowly drift backwards from this current position.

Obviously this is absolutely shite, but we're all going to have to face up to it eventually. That's why I think we're one or two seasons away from a "sack the board" style revolt when folk finally wake up to the fact we're almost no better quality than the sheep etc. 

King already has the card that says " i never signed the manger" in his pocket ready to pull out when the shite hits the fan.

After that I can see Robertson being sacrificied

However questions really need to be asked about what exactly the board do and what their long term plan is and more importantly how they plan to implement it

59 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

It's the acceptance of mediocrity/lowering of standards that's dooming us.

What are you talking about a revolt? The reason we are no better than the sheep is because of our dud of a manager and the dud before him. Nothing else. A good manager would have us easily the 2nd best team in the country with this budget.

9 minutes ago, Frank Harrison said:

It's the acceptance of mediocrity/lowering of standards that's dooming us.

What are you talking about a revolt? The reason we are no better than the sheep is because of our dud of a manager and the dud before him. Nothing else. A good manager would have us easily the 2nd best team in the country with this budget.

Would you not agree though Frank it is unrealistic to demand, as Gmanpoints out, that every single season has to be maximised ? I think that is simply an unrealistic achievement given our resources. We as fans want our youth structure to work - Im not convinced we have the patience as a support to see this to fruition.

Given that part of the a "good manager" DNA must be the identifying and recruiting of good players - how long would you consider the timescale for us to establish whether or not we are the 2nd best team - 3 games into a domestic season ?

16 minutes ago, D'Artagnan said:

Would you not agree though Frank it is unrealistic to demand, as Gmanpoints out, that every single season has to be maximised ? I think that is simply an unrealistic achievement given our resources. We as fans want our youth structure to work - Im not convinced we have the patience as a support to see this to fruition.

Given that part of the a "good manager" DNA must be the identifying and recruiting of good players - how long would you consider the timescale for us to establish whether or not we are the 2nd best team - 3 games into a domestic season ?

Depends on what you mean maximised. If you mean winning the title then yes. I don't think anyone is realistically demanding that though.

I'm not just including this season though I think it's ridiculous to do that.

A club the size of Rangers shouldn't have the (at best) 5th best manager in the country.

33 minutes ago, D'Artagnan said:

I think it is unreasonable for any sporting institution to not seek to maximise every season. Indeed, I can scarce believe I read this!

Getting away from general sport and onto the subject of The Rangers, we should have only one aim, every season, and this is to win the league. our history has proven that we are remarkably adept at it and should be winning it more often that not. I would therefore suggest that the current shambles, of last and this season be viewed as nothing other than wholly unacceptable. Anything other would be a slap in the face to the club.

We are the preeminent Scottish Football Team. Time we understood that responsibility and demanded it once again be achieved.

30 minutes ago, thehost said:

I think it is unreasonable for any sporting institution to not seek to maximise every season. Indeed, I can scarce believe I read this!

Getting away from general sport and onto the subject of The Rangers, we should have only one aim, every season, and this is to win the league. our history has proven that we are remarkably adept at it and should be winning it more often that not. I would therefore suggest that the current shambles, of last and this season be viewed as nothing other than wholly unacceptable. Anything other would be a slap in the face to the club.

We are the preeminent Scottish Football Team. Time we understood that responsibility and demanded it once again be achieved.

It depends on the intepretation of "maximise".- I think during a period of re-building and restructuring it is unrealistic to expect that your achievements will emulate previous settled squads, many of which were of a far higher calibre of player.

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 1:17 PM, D'Artagnan said:

Thanks for providing the link D'Artagnan. 

I don't doubt that Niko made the comment, but as it is hosted by the Sun, I will give it a miss. 

1 hour ago, wullyRFC said:

Any of last seasons results can't be blamed on Pedro. He takes full responsibility for this season though.

While I generally agree & said as much myself, there is no getting away from the fact that Rodgers has dramatically changed the playing style of CFC using pretty much the same players (+ a couple of signings) who played so badly under Ronnie.

I believe that if we can recruit a decent striker we'll start winning games.

Our defence looks a lot better this season, our midfield is looking solid, it's just our attack that we're found wanting in. Maybe we should go for Moult, he bangs them in for Motherwell, and our midfield will set him up with a lot more chances to score than he gets now.

If we'd got decent refereeing decisions in our favour, we might've been sitting with full points right now.

We've not had the rub of the green of late, it's got to change soon. I'm for sticking with Pedro until, at the very least, Xmas. If by then we've not progressed enough, and not in the top 3 or 4, and miles behind the taigs, we could get shot of him then. I'd only be willing, to get rid, if it looked like we were not going to qualify for Europe.