Barry- Pedro Must Play Kenny Today

BlueMexican

There's a big question mark over Kenny Miller’s place in Pedro Caixinha’s Old Firm starting XI today.

And to tell you the truth, after he was left out of the squad for the Betfred Cup quarter-final against Partick Thistle on Tuesday night, I can understand why it’s become the subject of some debate.

Sometimes it’s hard to second guess whatCaixinha is thinking and – if the decision was simply a matter of resting Kenny’s legs for the big one – then I’d have expected him to have been left on the bench just in case of an emergency situation. There was a semi-final on the line after all.

So yes, a part of me does wonder if the manager left him out completely because he was experimenting with the Old Firm game in mind.

If that turns out to be the case – and Kenny also sits this one out today – then Caixinha will be making a truly massive call.

These are certainly his decisions to make. It’s his neck that’s on the line so it’s not up to me to tell him who to pick.

But let me get one thing straight. If it was me – if I was picking the Rangers team to face celtic – then Kenny 
Miller’s name wouldn’t just be on my team-sheet. He’d be wearing the captain’s armband into the bargain.

Look, I’ve known Kenny for years and he’d the be the first one to admit that his recent form has not been up to the standards he sets for himself.

Those high standards are what have made him such a great player for the club.

But even though he’s not been at his best, his place in this game is an absolute no-brainer as far as I’m concerned. And I’ll tell you why.

This is a guy who knows this fixture inside out. He gets the expectations and he has proved over the years that he is mentally strong enough to cope with the pressure of a Glasgow derby day.

He doesn’t wilt in this environment, he thrives on it as his scoring record againstCeltic underlines.

But it’s not just about his goals. It’s about his qualities as a leader and as a talisman. It’s about what he gives to the rest of the team just by being out there with them.

My concern for Rangers is that there will be quite a number of players making their Old Firm debuts at lunchtime today. If Kenny isn’t in the team there could be as many as eight new boys experiencing this fixture as a player for the first time.

It could be that only Wes Foderingham, James Tavernier and Josh Windass have played against celtic before.

Now, from personal experience, that really does worry me. I grew up in this part of the country – I played against celtic all the way through the youth system and reserves. But it still took me four first-team Old Firm games before I got to grips with playing in that fixture.

That’s my big worry about the number of new faces in today’s Rangers team and it’s the biggest reason of all why I would have Kenny in my team.

Trust me when I say, there is no way of describing what it feels like to be a player in the moments leading up to kick-off in one of these matches. There are no words that even come close.

Pish. If Kenny Miller had actually contributed something this season then aye. But the reality is he hasn't and he's been poor, very poor. The thought of Miller on the wing is sickening or keeping Pena out the team is even worse. 

No doubt he's always good for a goal against them, which is why he'll be useful from 70 mins onward if were chasing it

15 minutes ago, BlueMexican said:

Same....he always pops up with a goal against them. Him off Morelos is fine as long as he ain't tracking back to play in front of the defence.

Herrera as only forward eith Morelos play off him. Herrera as a annoying forwsrd to make space for Morelos

26 minutes ago, denya said:

Herrera as only forward eith Morelos play off him. Herrera as a annoying forwsrd to make space for Morelos

Both are physical and Horelos is lightning quick, exactly what we need. 

TO win we need to push high and be first to every ball for the full 90 minutes.

Kenny has not been anywhere near his best and I can't help feeling his legs have pretty much gone . However I would start him today , we will be short of experience today and he does have a good scoring record against them. By the looks of it we will be missing our first and 3rd choice CBs our 1st and 2nd choice LB we will need some experience out there 

39 minutes ago, thehost said:

Barry Ferguson has an IQ of around 47 

Quick google check puts Barry on the same level as crows and chimps... 

35-49 — Moderately retarded

Can learn simple life skills and employment tasks with special education. May be employed in special settings, and achieve some independence. Often socially immature. Self-awareness — having an inner image of self, realizing that one is a person separate from the others around one — may exist from here on, but is not guaranteed to exist as it depends on more than intelligence alone. The most intelligent non-human animals, such as some crows, chimpanzees, bonobos, parrots, and dolphins, are in this range. Bonobo or chimpanzee I.Q. scores are sometimes even quoted as high as 80 or 90, but those are childhood age-peer scores that correspond to adult I.Q.'s of only just over 40.

1 hour ago, Prso's headband said:

Pish. If Kenny Miller had actually contributed something this season then aye. But the reality is he hasn't and he's been poor, very poor. The thought of Miller on the wing is sickening or keeping Pena out the team is even worse. 

No doubt he's always good for a goal against them, which is why he'll be useful from 70 mins onward if were chasing it

Should have been used like that the whole season, what a servant for the club over the years but at his age he should be an impact sub at most similar to how Totti saw out his last few years at Roma.