Allan McGregor

GOAT

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, j1mgg said:

I would expect the club would not be able to afford their wages, and he wanted rid of the easiest way possible.

How long do you think we'd have been 'stuck' with the likes of Naismith and McGregor had they transferred over and been punted at a 1/4 of their 'market' value? 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

How long do you think we'd have been 'stuck' with the likes of Naismith and McGregor had they transferred over and been punted at a 1/4 of their 'market' value? 

This.

Even in a fire sale, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect that the club could have raised at least £2M+ for the lot of them.

What might have happened to that money afterwards is a completely separate and unrelated argument.

Just now, The Beast said:

This.

Even in a fire sale, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect that the club could have raised at least £2M+ for the lot of them.

What might have happened to that money afterwards is a completely separate and unrelated argument.

From when we newco'd in June through to the end of August when the window closed would have cost us no more than a couple hundred grand to keep them on full pay until we got shot of them. Had we not managed to find a buyer I'm sure that - just like Kirk Broadfoot - they would have been willing to negotiate a deal to terminate their deal early and allowed them to move on.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

From when we newco'd in June through to the end of August when the window closed would have cost us no more than a couple hundred grand to keep them on full pay until we got shot of them. Had we not managed to find a buyer I'm sure that - just like Kirk Broadfoot - they would have been willing to negotiate a deal to terminate their deal early and allowed them to move on.

I am very uneasy in agreeing with you so much this evening. Might need to go for a dettol scrub. ?

25 minutes ago, MisterC said:

It's true that he was the only one who told McCoist and Sandy Jardine that we was leaving. 

I think the ones who left went about it the wrong way. Mind you, knowing what we know now, can you blame them for not trusting green? 

Nope, given their agents would’ve rightly looked into how Green ran sheff Utd and the clear as mud way he got in at ibrox then they were definitely proved right in not trusting the cunt.    I just don’t understand the need to keep schtum. Of all things that should’ve been leaked to the media, the players reasons for leaving should’ve been leaked- and John greig had a duty to Rangers fans all over to come clean on how whyte was ruining us.

20 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

There is that but I seem to recall that they didn't have to TUPE over if they thought CG was involved with CW.

My comment here is at a tangent to the main thrust of the thread so I hope it's not too much of a distraction.   My understanding of TUPE is that a transfer happens as a matter of law, pure and simple.    If someone does not wish to work for the employer who is inheriting employees under a TUPE transfer, eg resigns or terminates his contract or does not turn up for work then he or she is deemed to have dismissed themselves.   If they leave the employment of the exporting employer before the actual date of a TUPE transfer then of course they would not be deemed to have transferred or be subject to a TUPE transfer since they'd have left employment before the actual date a TUPE transfer takes place between the old employer and the new employer.   For those still in the employment of the old employer at the date and time of a TUPE transfer then they simply move from the old employer to the new employer as a matter of law.    Now doubtless there are twists and caveats and the like to the complex world of employment law and TUPE transfers but what I have described is exactly how it applied to me when TUPE transfers took place.     Hope this assists.  But as I said up front this is not intended to sidetrack the thrust of the thread. 

12 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

My comment here is at a tangent to the main thrust of the thread so I hope it's not too much of a distraction.   My understanding of TUPE is that a transfer happens as a matter of law, pure and simple.    If someone does not wish to work for the employer who is inheriting employees under a TUPE transfer, eg resigns or terminates his contract or does not turn up for work then he or she is deemed to have dismissed themselves.   If they leave the employment of the exporting employer before the actual date of a TUPE transfer then of course they would not be deemed to have transferred or be subject to a TUPE transfer since they'd have left employment before the actual date a TUPE transfer takes place between the old employer and the new employer.   For those still in the employment of the old employer at the date and time of a TUPE transfer then they simply move from the old employer to the new employer as a matter of law.    Now doubtless there are twists and caveats and the like to the complex world of employment law and TUPE transfers but what I have described is exactly how it applied to me when TUPE transfers took place.     Hope this assists.  But as I said up front this is not intended to sidetrack the thrust of the thread. 

Thank you for explaining that.  Could some players have transferred to CG 5088 CVA company and when that fell through they did not want to sign for his Scotland company. 

8 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Thank you for explaining that.  Could some players have transferred to CG 5088 CVA company and when that fell through they did not want to sign for his Scotland company. 

No. Had the CVA been successful there would have been no need to TUPE

We will never really know what has went on in the summer of 2012 all I know is we have been paying for it ever since. 

If we had only went down to the first div I could have seen some of the players staying but looking back now I can see why they left doesn't make it any easier to watch millions of pounds worth of players leave the club for nothing. 

Doesnt make much sense to me, the only reason I can imagine would be that he wanted the oldco to go under without fail because he wanted a new company with zero liability. If we were able to sell players then that would have given us quite a few million, and he might not have had the result he wanted.

15 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

There’s a big difference between Green telling them to find new clubs because they are getting sold, and just fucking off so they can line their own pockets and the club gets fuck all. 

Not any time for any of them - more so Whitaker and Naismith 

but the idea that the ‘club’ would have benefited from any transfer fees has now been shown to be highly highly doubtful.

rats deserted the ship but other rats had already entered. 

Also, with regards the OP - sounds like Greegs working his ticket back here 

11 hours ago, loyalfollower said:

Nope, given their agents would’ve rightly looked into how Green ran sheff Utd and the clear as mud way he got in at ibrox then they were definitely proved right in not trusting the cunt.    I just don’t understand the need to keep schtum. Of all things that should’ve been leaked to the media, the players reasons for leaving should’ve been leaked- and John greig had a duty to Rangers fans all over to come clean on how whyte was ruining us.

Don’t bring John Greig into this clusterfuck ffs. He left because he hadn’t a clue what was going on and was ‘advised’ to leave ASAP, by AJ I believe 

I saw JG at a bus stop in Lenzie a couple of Saturdays ago. No doubt  using an OAP bus pass. To think of the contribution he made to our great club offer many many years and compare that to others recently who will probably be chauffeur driven for the rest of their lives??? Gives you the boak!

JG kept his counsel. That’s good enough for me. 

13 hours ago, The Dude said:

They would've been punted for a lot less than that.  When the players agreed to a wage reduction back in the January of 2012 most had release clauses written in to their contracts that triggered after a few hundred grand.  I remember reading that Naismith's was as low as £250k.  

4 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

They would've been punted for a lot less than that.  When the players agreed to a wage reduction back in the January of 2012 most had release clauses written in to their contracts that triggered after a few hundred grand.  I remember reading that Naismith's was as low as £250k.  

Even if that was the case, that would cover 10 weeks at 25k p/w (or almost exactly the same amount of time between us newco-ing on June 14th and the transfer window closing at the end of August.

Had a quick look to see if there was anything which mentioned how much these clauses were and, according to the BBC Naismith was £2m, Davis £1.65m, Whittaker 800k, Edu 300k, Lafferty 500k and no value mentioned for McGregor and Goian.

That's still a fair chunk of change had we 'only' got those amounts for them.

Just now, The Dude said:

Even if that was the case, that would cover 10 weeks at 25k p/w (or almost exactly the same amount of time between us newco-ing on June 14th and the transfer window closing at the end of August.

Had a quick look to see if there was anything which mentioned how much these clauses were and, according to the BBC Naismith was £2m, Davis £1.65m, Whittaker 800k, Edu 300k, Lafferty 500k and no value mentioned for McGregor and Goian.

That's still a fair chunk of change had we 'only' got those amounts for them.

You can read some of it here:  

"For the highest paid players, Steven Davis and Allan McGregor, thought to earn £28,000 and £26,000 a week respectively, salaries will be slashed to less than £10,000. The wages of the Rangers management team will be included in the scaled cuts. In exchange for absorbing vastly reduced terms, it is understood some players have sought to have clauses inserted in their contracts which offer a free transfer or one at a reasonable fee when the campaign ends." 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/mar/06/Rangers-top-earners-pay-cut

The players made sure we weren't getting a fair transfer fee for them a long time before they walked away.  I remember the player rep who use to sit on the ClydeSSB panel talking about these release clauses one night and was horrified by it.  At first I thought they deserved tremendous credit for taking a 75% paycut but those cunts made sure they were getting something out of it by way of a cheap move down South no matter what.

Capture.PNG

1 minute ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

You can read some of it here:  

"For the highest paid players, Steven Davis and Allan McGregor, thought to earn £28,000 and £26,000 a week respectively, salaries will be slashed to less than £10,000. The wages of the Rangers management team will be included in the scaled cuts. In exchange for absorbing vastly reduced terms, it is understood some players have sought to have clauses inserted in their contracts which offer a free transfer or one at a reasonable fee when the campaign ends." 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/mar/06/Rangers-top-earners-pay-cut

The players made sure we weren't getting a fair transfer fee for them a long time before they walked away.  I remember the player rep who use to sit on the ClydeSSB panel talking about these release clauses one night and was horrified by it.  At first I thought they deserved tremendous credit for taking a 75% paycut but those cunts made sure they were getting something out of it by way of a cheap move down South no matter what.

Capture.PNG

Aye so that just backs up the later BBC piece which was published a few months later once the clauses actually went into effect. 

2 hours ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Don’t bring John Greig into this clusterfuck ffs. He left because he hadn’t a clue what was going on and was ‘advised’ to leave ASAP, by AJ I believe 

I saw JG at a bus stop in Lenzie a couple of Saturdays ago. No doubt  using an OAP bus pass. To think of the contribution he made to our great club offer many many years and compare that to others recently who will probably be chauffeur driven for the rest of their lives??? Gives you the boak!

JG kept his counsel. That’s good enough for me. 

It’s the same argument.. if you know something’s up then let us know.

None were real Rangers men. They would still be making money far above the average man, so they thought of themselves first.

but as their careers wind up Rangers are still there, were shite on the pitch but our history doesnt go away like theres will, and from the past year of articles from the likes of naismith and the like , its clear they realise this too. 

As far as i am concerned he was given a chance by Rangers and shat on us when he felt he was too good for the third division and Rangers. 

Lee wallace wont ever be remembered for great play, but he stayed. And he has respect for it. One person knew what the words to follow follow were at least.

life time bans for the deserters.

36 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

It’s the same argument.. if you know something’s up then let us know.

It would depend on the terms of Greig's employment and subsequent resignation. He may well have been bound by a confidentiality agreement which forbids him from disclosing details of the day-to-day running of the club. The players won't have similar as they simply chose not to transfer their contracts over so will have no clauses which gag them from revealing why they chose not to transfer their contracts.