Jimmy Nicholl

adamtricky

On 31/12/2017 at 20:49, Grundy said:

knowHopefully Nicholl will be the " bad guy" to Murty's "good guy" let some of this squad know what is acceptable and what is not. I know I sound like an old dinosaur but it's what is needed at this time.  

Spot on. Murty is too nice. If JN did get this job, he would be the perfect guy for letting the players know when they need a good kick up the arse. 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, PRW. said:

Doesn't work like that. Manager A finished above Manager B so A must be a better manager? Nope.

Clarke is a better manager than Murty at this moment in time, yet we're well ahead of them. 

As the professionals say, the league table doesn't lie. 

Having more experience doesn't make you better. Only your achievements are the measure of success. 

4 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

As the professionals say, the league table doesn't lie. 

Having more experience doesn't make you better. Only your achievements are the measure of success. 

Indeed. And Clarke has achieved more.

As a coach, and manager.

24 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Why not?

Why would one element of his management be enough to get him the job when other people have been judged on more?

What if he signs a lot of players in january who make no impact like Warburton and Caixinha did?

What if he gets us knocked out the Scottish Cup by a side we should be beating, or we put in a pathetic performance in the later stages and crash out?

What if he carries on with the sort of inconsistent form like we are showing at the moment?

All of those things could happen and we could still finish in second place. It might indicate “progress” in comparison to last season but I’m not sure it would be enough to land a permanent contract if all the things I mentioned above play out too.

On 12/31/2017 at 20:30, 6superbarry6 said:

What does this mean for any new manager coming in though? most will want to bring their own staff in its a strange one.

Not sure if someone has already posted this but maybe the appointment has been made with the new manager in mind and perhaps he wouldn't mind him being there, as he has been one of his assistant at international level for the past 2 years?

Michael O'Neil?

7 hours ago, Smile said:

He won't we will get pumped by all the wee teams the guy is clueless that's why the board are bringing in Nicholl.

Are the board bringing in Nicoll or is Murty - and Murty is far from clueless - but obviously you’ve made up your mind so even if he does well you’ll not be happy! 

6 hours ago, DBBTB said:

No he won’t and I’m somebody who’s defended him a lot more than some people have.

So what criteria do you have to give him the job? First would be a stretch goal even for a ‘great’ proven manager. Cups are fickle things. We so what? 

1 hour ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Are the board bringing in Nicoll or is Murty - and Murty is far from clueless - but obviously you’ve made up your mind so even if he does well you’ll not be happy! 

I agree with you here Murty is far from clueless. He's an intelligent, astutue and passionate guy.

He has some weaknesses as we've seen but he also has some plus points, as we've also seen.

Don't think he's the man to manage us overall but he's got some good qualities needed in a manager. We could be in a lot worse hands in that dug out and I say that as someone who wants a full-time manager in and in spite of some of the bad defeats he's had with us.

13 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

We've all got to start somewhere and the last 3 proven managers got us where we are at today and with this board, we are in no position to be choosy.

The top leagues on both sides of the border are littered with failed proven managers. 

We will finish high enough to get into the EL qualifiers and take it from there and I can see both getting the job permanently.at that point and I'll just be happy that we still have a club by that point with the state this board have us in.

We really do need to start learning the lessons of recent history, otherwise a manager will be the least of our worries.

I appreciate your points.   We'll see where getting a complete novice gets us.    Personally I maintain it is a massive risk too far which any of the directors would not take in their own lines of business but are somehow prepared to engage in a form of potential collective football suicide by taking that sort of risk at Rangers.    Because previous managers with miles better experience than Murty could not make a proper fist of the job does not, in my estimation, mean a board is justified in simply abandoning the search for a proper manager and relying on an untried, inexperienced rookie.    I see it as a board engaged in an act of wilful gamble, of wilful negligence and of wilfully putting the football future of the Club into jeopardy.   A move consistent with their other failings on the financial front.  

I really do seriously fear for the football future of the Club under Murty.    Perhaps JN can apply a seasoned and appropriate guiding hand to keep the results this side of acceptable for the rest of the season.   I sure do hope so.  

Its great that you have confidence we'll finish high enough to gain an EL placing.   Personally, had they got their fingers out and got a more competent manager then maybe we might not have lost points to lower teams and maybe, just maybe, the talk at this time of the year might have been more aimed at grabbing an opportunity to mount a proper challenge for the title.   I always felt this season could have been one of two halves if we'd been close enough to the other lot at the end of Dec to push on and really challenge them.   Murty's inability to wrest winning results out of what should have been winnable games put paid to that.   I think under Murty it will be very fortunate if we get an EL place come the end of the season.   That's a genuine fear because I do not see or detect in Murty the quality of leadership needed to finish that high up the league.  

Let's see how it turns out come the end of the season.   Maybe I'll be wrong and appointing a plainly inexperienced manager with no direct relevant managerial credentials will not prove to have been a catastrophe.    As for King and the board and financials........that's another matter is it not, and one which must surely come to a better resolution soon for the sake of the Club.  

3 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

If we think Nicholl going to save us we are scraping the barrel, Nicholl and Murty as the dream team will only end in Failure.

3 minutes ago, Smile said:

If we think Nicholl going to save us we are scraping the barrel, Nicholl and Murty as the dream team will only end in Failure.

It’s an opinion but one I disagree with. Anyway what would be considered Sucess in your eyes. What would he need to do to get more time from you ? Or have you just set your stall against him? 

1 minute ago, Bluepeter9 said:

It’s an opinion but one I disagree with. Anyway what would be considered Sucess in your eyes. What would he need to do to get more time from you ? Or have you just set your stall against him? 

Success is always finishing first we will finish top four at best third this season  we should have appointed a manager.

42 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

I appreciate your points.   We'll see where getting a complete novice gets us.    Personally I maintain it is a massive risk too far which any of the directors would not take in their own lines of business but are somehow prepared to engage in a form of potential collective football suicide by taking that sort of risk at Rangers.    Because previous managers with miles better experience than Murty could not make a proper fist of the job does not, in my estimation, mean a board is justified in simply abandoning the search for a proper manager and relying on an untried, inexperienced rookie.    I see it as a board engaged in an act of wilful gamble, of wilful negligence and of wilfully putting the football future of the Club into jeopardy.   A move consistent with their other failings on the financial front.  

I really do seriously fear for the football future of the Club under Murty.    Perhaps JN can apply a seasoned and appropriate guiding hand to keep the results this side of acceptable for the rest of the season.   I sure do hope so.  

Its great that you have confidence we'll finish high enough to gain an EL placing.   Personally, had they got their fingers out and got a more competent manager then maybe we might not have lost points to lower teams and maybe, just maybe, the talk at this time of the year might have been more aimed at grabbing an opportunity to mount a proper challenge for the title.   I always felt this season could have been one of two halves if we'd been close enough to the other lot at the end of Dec to push on and really challenge them.   Murty's inability to wrest winning results out of what should have been winnable games put paid to that.   I think under Murty it will be very fortunate if we get an EL place come the end of the season.   That's a genuine fear because I do not see or detect in Murty the quality of leadership needed to finish that high up the league.  

Let's see how it turns out come the end of the season.   Maybe I'll be wrong and appointing a plainly inexperienced manager with no direct relevant managerial credentials will not prove to have been a catastrophe.    As for King and the board and financials........that's another matter is it not, and one which must surely come to a better resolution soon for the sake of the Club.  

We have little choice such is our state.

The future of the club depends on this board, not Murty.

You obviously have a big issue with Murty, but yet the last 2 proven managers we have had, got us exactly where we are today, not Murty. Unless you have the credentials of a Pep G, they are all a big a risk, far less we cannot afford jack shit. 

It's very much a results driven business and the result at the end of the season will determine how good he is or not.

19 minutes ago, Smile said:

Success is always finishing first we will finish top four at best third this season  we should have appointed a manager.

No manager n the UK would get us first with this squad ffs.

Second with this squad is success no matter who is managing them.

We did NOT budget for first and bar a miracle, it will not happen under this board, even of PepG was the manager.

27 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

This appointment just confirms to me that Murty will be in charge well beyond the end of the season.

I see a 3 year deal for both in coming second or third and with a playing budget less than before, such is our financial state. If king departs the building, we are looking at a 7.2 million shortfall.

28 minutes ago, Smile said:

So a ‘real’ manager would get us first this season? But nothing Murty does will make you change your mind? Or are you just going to not answer the question as well as write GM off? 

9 hours ago, DBBTB said:

I wonder if there’s anybody within the Northern Ireland squad who he might reccomend to the club.

George Saville, Central midfielder playing for Millwall. He's 24, playing well at the moment. Had been at Chelsea, but didn't make it.

Or, even better, Paul Smyth, former Linfield player, scored on his debut for QPR yesterday, only 20, and will make it.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/watch-former-linfield-forward-paul-smyth-scores-the-winner-on-qpr-debut-36449822.html

9 hours ago, DBBTB said:

I wonder if there’s anybody within the Northern Ireland squad who he might reccomend to the club.

Would take Dallas. Had a few injury problems this season. He's only had 2 starts and 11 odd sub appearances but has dropped down pecking order due to form of others. 

7 hours ago, Beaujolais said:

Jimmy Nicholl as Assistant Manager is the first recent managerial appointment that has made any clear sense to me.

Wishing Jimmy every success in the role.

It's the first recent appointment in any role at the club that has made sense, not just management!

2 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

So a ‘real’ manager would get us first this season? But nothing Murty does will make you change your mind? Or are you just going to not answer the question as well as write GM off? 

If Murty was appointed after long term planning by the board or instantly replaced Pedro when he left the club then it might have been a more respectable appointment. The fact is, its a huge gamble taken by a clueless, skint, board after nearly two months of deliberating, and in doing so we have a complete novice in charge of team during one of our most important and challenging times. 

We could get lucky and Murty could lead us to second and win a cup, and go on and challenge the tims next season. Nothing he does will get away from the fact he shouldnt have been appointed in the first place. A board with long term planning, brains, and funds, would not have appointed Murty.