• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, TheLawMan said:

Waste of time.

I don’t think this is a waste of time at all.

We have an inexperienced manager in Murty, a fairly inexperienced coach in Johansson and we are bringing in an assistant who hasn’t only been around the block in Scottish football, but an assistant who’s still working at international level.

Some people are reluctant to give Murty credit for anything, but IMO this is a shrewd and sensible move.

Good enough a player to be signed twice by Souness. He understands the Scottish game and knows what it means to play for and win for our club, and had extensive experience so isn't as much of a risk as other ex players with no previous management jobs could be. 

Two interesting things i've noticed in this thread...firstly people commenting that you don't often get a chance to come to us and take it when the opportunity arises....so he already has more about him than McInnes does. Secondly, talking of McInnes, people said one of his qualifications was that he had won a trophy...well so has Jimmy Nicholl, and it was against them! 

10 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

Good enough a player to be signed twice by Souness. He understands the Scottish game and knows what it means to play for and win for our club, and had extensive experience so isn't as much of a risk as other ex players with no previous management jobs could be. 

Two interesting things i've noticed in this thread...firstly people commenting that you don't often get a chance to come to us and take it when the opportunity arises....so he already has more about him than McInnes does. Secondly, talking of McInnes, people said one of his qualifications was that he had won a trophy...well so has Jimmy Nicholl, and it was against them! 

Great post mate.

2 hours ago, DBBTB said:

I don’t think this is a waste of time at all.

We have an inexperienced manager in Murty, a fairly inexperienced coach in Johansson and we are bringing in an assistant who hasn’t only been around the block in Scottish football, but an assistant who’s still working at international level.

Some people are reluctant to give Murty credit for anything, but IMO this is a shrewd and sensible move.

Strange thing is, being strapped for cash and badly so, this managerial time around, may actually be a blessing in disguise, with a rookie manager, but together with the auld head that is JN, it may turn out to be what we need on several fronts. Not wasting money on mediocrity. Building on what we have after getting rid of the worst we have and turning what's left with a few additions into the force we desire.

Having the cash problems that we do, there is no easy way ahead for us, as much as we'd like a big named manager and serious quality players, it's not and won't happen under this board, so the only option is get behind the new set up and hope that it works.

8 hours ago, Smile said:

McCall wasn't and he's better than what we currently have and certainly as good as McInnes we were chasing.

McInnes is a much better manager than McCall. 

Do people make this stuff up to make themselves feel better for McInnes knocking us back or something? 

31 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Do people make this stuff up to make themselves feel better for McInnes knocking us back or something? 

In what way is he much better I see very little between them? Both very average and would not be my ideal pick for Rangers but better than a Youth Coach and Jimmy Nicholl.

28 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Strange thing is, being strapped for cash and badly so, this managerial time around, may actually be a blessing in disguise, with a rookie manager, but together with the auld head that is JN, it may turn out to be what we need on several fronts. Not wasting money on mediocrity. Building on what we have after getting rid of the worst we have and turning what's left with a few additions into the force we desire.

Having the cash problems that we do, there is no easy way ahead for us, as much as we'd like a big named manager and serious quality players, it's not and won't happen under this board, so the only option is get behind the new set up and hope that it works.

For the remainder of this season anyway there is no real alternative to getting behind Murty and JN.   Unless that is if results during the second half of the season become so terrible, and league position slips so badly that either board loses its nerve and removes Murty before catastrophic damage is done, or Murty himself concludes that his desire for the manager job was not matched by enough ability to actually do it well enough and he walks.  IMO it all depends on the results he gets and the resulting league position.   

He is not a proven manager.  Imo he does not have a managerial track record or credentials to justify being appointed Rangers manager.   He has nowhere near enough direct relevant successful experience.   But that is where this board has put us.  In each of the companies the directors run I very much doubt if, in any of their companies, they would dare to put an utterly inexperienced rookie manager into the most vital operational role in the company, a role on which the future success of the company hinges.    They just would not take that sort of risk.   But put on Rangers blazers and paint themselves into the financial stumbling we experience and this is now suddenly the solution we are expected to applaud.   Not in my book.  It is a massive gamble.   A gamble now being mitigated by the appointment of JN but still a massive gamble.   

Results for the rest of this season will determine whether the gamble works for the board and for the Club as far as this season goes and whether it'd be safe to continue with that gamble next season.    Murty and JN are going to need all the luck they can get imo.   Because other than JN's ability to prop Murty up its going to take a whole lot more luck than the thin managerial skill of Murty to generate what might pass for a successful remainder of the season.      Luck is not something a club of the stature of Rangers should be relying on.     I do however applaud the appointment of JN and its only this appointment that provides a small degree of comfort that a football disaster might be avoided.      

1 hour ago, Reformation Bear said:

For the remainder of this season anyway there is no real alternative to getting behind Murty and JN.   Unless that is if results during the second half of the season become so terrible, and league position slips so badly that either board loses its nerve and removes Murty before catastrophic damage is done, or Murty himself concludes that his desire for the manager job was not matched by enough ability to actually do it well enough and he walks.  IMO it all depends on the results he gets and the resulting league position.   

He is not a proven manager.  Imo he does not have a managerial track record or credentials to justify being appointed Rangers manager.   He has nowhere near enough direct relevant successful experience.   But that is where this board has put us.  In each of the companies the directors run I very much doubt if, in any of their companies, they would dare to put an utterly inexperienced rookie manager into the most vital operational role in the company, a role on which the future success of the company hinges.    They just would not take that sort of risk.   But put on Rangers blazers and paint themselves into the financial stumbling we experience and this is now suddenly the solution we are expected to applaud.   Not in my book.  It is a massive gamble.   A gamble now being mitigated by the appointment of JN but still a massive gamble.   

Results for the rest of this season will determine whether the gamble works for the board and for the Club as far as this season goes and whether it'd be safe to continue with that gamble next season.    Murty and JN are going to need all the luck they can get imo.   Because other than JN's ability to prop Murty up its going to take a whole lot more luck than the thin managerial skill of Murty to generate what might pass for a successful remainder of the season.      Luck is not something a club of the stature of Rangers should be relying on.     I do however applaud the appointment of JN and its only this appointment that provides a small degree of comfort that a football disaster might be avoided.      

We've all got to start somewhere and the last 3 proven managers got us where we are at today and with this board, we are in no position to be choosy.

The top leagues on both sides of the border are littered with failed proven managers. 

We will finish high enough to get into the EL qualifiers and take it from there and I can see both getting the job permanently.at that point and I'll just be happy that we still have a club by that point with the state this board have us in.

We really do need to start learning the lessons of recent history, otherwise a manager will be the least of our worries.

On 31/12/2017 at 20:30, 6superbarry6 said:

What does this mean for any new manager coming in though? most will want to bring their own staff in its a strange one.

If Murty secures second place he WILL be the new manager. 

2 hours ago, K.A.I said:

I dont actually think Mcinnes has proved he’s a better manager than McCall to be honest mate. What you basing that on? 

51 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

A great right back in his day so his experience can only help Tav & John defend better. 

Hope so but not always the case as you only have to look at the appointment of David Weir under Warburton. Our defence had more holes than a slappers lace g-string.

Just now, WWTC said:

I dont actually think Mcinnes has proved he’s a better manager than McCall to be honest mate. What you basing that on? 

I'm not going to do another list because it will make me look like a McInnes' cheerleader and my fingers are still sore from typing the same stuff out in the 100+ pages of the McInnes manager thread - but if anyone fancies they can give me the reasons why and the list of things McCall's done as a manager that trumps McInnes

1 minute ago, Blue Avenger said:

I think an EL qualifier spot will do it, but I can see us doing a second place. There's stuff in that team and hopefully Jimmy Nic is the man to help get us that consistency out of them.

I’ve no doubt at all the Murty will be charge next season. 

1 minute ago, Wullies_bowly_legs said:

Hope so but not always the case as you only have to look at the appointment of David Weir under Warburton. Our defence had more holes than a slappers lace g-string.

That tells you everything about Weir and not Jimmy Nic, who with O'Neil achieved miracles with NI.

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I'm not going to do another list because it will make me look like a McInnes' cheerleader and my fingers are still sore from typing the same stuff out in the 100+ pages of the McInnes manager thread - but if anyone fancies they can give me the reasons why and the list of things McCall's done as a manager that trumps McInnes

Vice versa. Don't think one is particularly better than the other. Would wonder how McInnes would do in England, but with Aberdeen's budget he still managed a season where McCall finished above him IIRC.

Nicholl is an excellent appointment. I couldn't give a toss whether Nicholl is here to be O'Neill's advance party or mould Murty. He'll deploy the spirit of what it means to pull on our jersey & will be the one waiting on the touchline for anyone not getting it. I will be perfectly happy for us to blend more appointments like this with coaches of genuine potential like Murty.

The likes of McInnes, Cathro and their generation spineless pretenders can GTF as far as I am concerned.  

1 minute ago, Marky. said:

Vice versa. Don't think one is particularly better than the other. Would wonder how McInnes would do in England, but with Aberdeen's budget he still managed a season where McCall finished above him IIRC.

Mcinnes is a considerably better manager than McCall. I'm honestly stunned anyone would attempt to say otherwise. It's just another mental RM moment that happens every so often lol. 

Just now, K.A.I said:

Your saying that like McInnes has some huge list of managerial achievements ?

If I’d to pick one or the other I’d take McCall, I said as much before we even officially approached McInnes. Hes worked under better managers, hes taken Motherwell to the best finish in years and into champions league qualification, he knows our league, as well as the English leagues, has worked at national level, took Bradford to the playoff final last season and is on course for it this season...

Derek McInnes has had a cooshy wee number for the last 4 years, and probably believes that we’re in such a mess that its not about to change much anytime soon. Hes a decent manager at the moment, and no more. Hes certainly not miles ahead of people like McCall or Wright for me.

I’d have fancied Mcalls chances of at least matching McInnes “achievements” at the sheep.