4-4-2

jjbscotty12

I think what we have now is options.

I'd expect Murty to start with the 4-2-3-1 we used the whole time in Florida. But we now have good players in positions that allow us to play 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 4-4-2 diamond, 4-3-3 - whatever we fancy really. And that will allow Murty to adapt his game plan depending on the opponent. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think with the players we have it will have to be 4-2-3-1, I can't see us going with 2 upfront even with Morales and Cummings, at least not every game, wouldn't give us good midfield balance IMO.

I'd go something like this:

Foderingham

Tavernier Martin Wilson John

McCrorie Goss

Candieas   Windass  Murphy

Cummings / Morelos

The likes of Jack and Holt can play in the two holding roles as well if necessary, Dorrans could play there too or behind the striker. Think it will be about picking a line-up based on opposition and whatever players are available at the time.

2 hours ago, Wearethepeople72 said:

I think with the players we have it will have to be 4-2-3-1, I can't see us going with 2 upfront even with Morales and Cummings, at least not every game, wouldn't give us good midfield balance IMO.

I'd go something like this:

Foderingham

Tavernier Martin Wilson John

McCrorie Goss

Candieas   Windass  Murphy

Cummings / Morelos

The likes of Jack and Holt can play in the two holding roles as well if necessary, Dorrans could play there too or behind the striker. Think it will be about picking a line-up based on opposition and whatever players are available at the time.

That is my formation also. And also my team with the exception of McCrorie. I still see him as a centre half and Jack preferred in the holding role.

Wes

Tav       Alves      Wilson     Wallace

Jack

Dorrans                    Murphy

Windass

Morelos             Cummings 

McCrorie is still a teen and needs to be protected,  - but for me this is the team - you can put Goss in there  but we have no idea what he will be like - two 45 min friendlies doesn't tell you much.

Alternative

Wes

Tav       Alves      Wilson     Wallace

Jack

Dorrans                    Goss

Murphy

Morelos            Cummings 

Fully fit

Wes

Tav          Martin        Wilson     Wallace

Mcrorie

Dorrans        Jack

Cummings                        windass

Morelas

Just now

Wes

Tav          Martin     Wilson      John

Goss

Jack         windass

Cummings                        Murphy

Morelas 

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 22:04, Tenerife Bear said:

Candeias is pish. Utter pish. 

Naismith would comfortably be our very best player. To knock back such a player because you've got a wee chip on your shoulder sums you up. 

If we play with both Cumming sand Morelos up front Candeias' could end up being a key player for us.  He's a very good crosser of the ball.  I can't ait to see Murphy over on the other side too we'll be a far more balanced team.

26 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

He's a very good crosser of the ball. 

I can't disagree with that more.  The amount of times he puts the ball along the floor and its easily mopped up by a defender, or he puts it into the hands of the keeper is one of the most frustrating things for me at most of our games when he is playing.  I don't think he's a good crosser of the ball at all.

12 minutes ago, VladimirWeiss said:

I can't disagree with that more.  The amount of times he puts the ball along the floor and its easily mopped up by a defender, or he puts it into the hands of the keeper is one of the most frustrating things for me at most of our games when he is playing.  I don't think he's a good crosser of the ball at all.

Someone on here said his cross completion rate was the best in the league.  By cross completion I assume they mean his cross reaches a teammate.  Not everything he puts in is mopped up by defenders, or grabbed by keepers, he has 4 assists in the league already.

Fod

Tav           Martin      Wilson      John

Mcrorie

Candias            Jack                 Murphy

Windass

Morelos

24 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Someone on here said his cross completion rate was the best in the league.  By cross completion I assume they mean his cross reaches a teammate.  Not everything he puts in is mopped up by defenders, or grabbed by keepers, he has 4 assists in the league already.

Ok, haven't seen the stats but if correct, would be very surprised.  I never said everything he puts in is mopped up, but more often than not his crosses, many of which are under not a lot of pressure, are good crosses, but not to our players.  I doubt very much he has good stats for putting a ball onto/into one of our players.

On 15/01/2018 at 21:32, Sasa Papac's War Flashbac. said:

I’d be going 4-3-3. I know it’s a tainted formation on here after Warburton’s failed attempt with it, but we’ve got better players now. Player that can make it work. 

A front 3 of Murphy, Morelos, Cummings would be a nightmare for teams, the smellies included. They’re all hard workers, not afraid of dropping deep to get the ball, but more importantly they’ve all got goals in them. 

I’d go for a midfield 3 of Dorrans, McCrorie, Jack. McCrorie holding, breaking up play and using his excellent distribution to start attacks. Dorrans and Jack either side of him getting up and down the park, feeding the front 3. 

Defence should be, Wallace, Wilson, Martin, Tav. In games we’re on top and seeing a lot of the ball, the full backs can push high up the park and McCrorie can drop to make it a back 3. 

This does sound very good.

7 hours ago, VladimirWeiss said:

Ok, haven't seen the stats but if correct, would be very surprised.  I never said everything he puts in is mopped up, but more often than not his crosses, many of which are under not a lot of pressure, are good crosses, but not to our players.  I doubt very much he has good stats for putting a ball onto/into one of our players.

14 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

xA measures likelihood does it not?  Not buying those stats as an argument, apart from what they are meant to be - you can though :thumbup:  Won't deny he gets lots of crosses into box, its the end product that is not of a particularly high standard, so I stand by my opinion, and I am sure he will back me up plenty by the end of the season.

Difficult to pick an 11, which is great.

Shame Dorrans, McCrorie, Alves, Rossiter, Wallace are all long term injury issues. 

Full strength I’d go with...

Fod

Tav Alves Wilson John

McCrorie Dorrans 

Candeias Windass Murphy

Morelos 

I’m expecting to see Martin, Jack and Goss in for those out. 

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Windass wider right maybe? 

What I think might possibly happen is Murty might play them in a rotational manner. Sometimes Windass would be 10, then wide right, then wide left with Cummings and Murphy doing the same. Mix it up so we ain't as easy to man mark as we usually are. Can even swap Morelos with Cummings too. Could form quite an exciting front 4.