Tav

Lloyd

6 hours ago, TT blueteen said:

Our fans are such a fickle bunch, so much joy at Tav tweeting he isn't leaving, I don't get it, a right back whose defensive qualities are ahem questionable, also his culpability to leave us short handed at the back with his attacking flair often seeing him caught out of position.

The same fans blast Kenny Millar for drifting all over the park in his efforts to influence games.Im not defending Miller just pointing out the strange support of Tav who is equally culpable of having the same faults Kenny has but recieves nowhere near the treatment Miller has.

He's a pretty shite defender, but not for the reasons you said.

First thing you learn as part of a back 4, and playing Dm, is that your fullbacks/wingbacks are going to be up the other end of the pitch a lot.

When one goes forward, the other 3 at the back should move along one position, to make a back three, and the Dm should be acting as a sweeper in front of the defense. 

Tavs not got better defensively this season, it's just that we are tactically better (Warburtons team would pass it around 20 yards in opponents half, so both fullbacks would creep forward), as well as actually having a couple of players who know how to play DM.

Tavs a shite defender because he doesn't know when to challenge. He will stand off a winger, and let him bring it in to our box before making a tackle. 

You can't blame arguably our best attacking threat for not being able to sprint the length of the pitch for 90mins, no one could.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DennyBlueNose said:

Hahaha what a wee fanny, I'm not a chuechter. 

And yes, when you jump about calling people nobodies you imply you see yourself as somebody.

You're just an angry wee man coming in here to start fights, your first comment in this thread was to slate our fickle fan base, what kind of reaction did you expect? 

One of realism, I'm not saying Tav is not a good player, I said he isn't a good defender, he is caught out of position too much, is a poor tackler, his undoubted pace masks a lot of his deficiencies but people on here look upon him as a valuable asset, and once someone disagrees with that opinion they get labelled taigs.

2 minutes ago, TT blueteen said:

One of realism, I'm not saying Tav is not a good player, I said he isn't a good defender, he is caught out of position too much, is a poor tackler, his undoubted pace masks a lot of his deficiencies but people on here look upon him as a valuable asset, and once someone disagrees with that opinion they get labelled taigs.

Tav is a good defender 1 on 1 that can’t be argued with, he’s decent in the air and he makes key interceptions for us that start counter attacks often. His weakness is his concentration and positional sense when crosses come in from the left he often loses his man. He’s a key member of our team and would be really hard to replace.

4 hours ago, brazz1972 said:

For me Tav isn't far away from or just as good as Alan Hutton was before he left. Hutton was better defender but Tav is a better all round player and if he keeps improving his defensive side then will be quality. 

Remember  Hutton went for £9m all those years ago.

He’s nowhere near the level Hutton was before he left,not even close 

12 minutes ago, Siwel said:

Tav is a good defender 1 on 1 that can’t be argued with, he’s decent in the air and he makes key interceptions for us that start counter attacks often. His weakness is his concentration and positional sense when crosses come in from the left he often loses his man. He’s a key member of our team and would be really hard to replace.

Different folk have different opinions, I respect your opinion of Tav I don't agree with your appraisal but still respect it, I just prefer my right backs strength to be defending rather than his which is attacking.

If Murty was to push him into midfield I would be more of a fan but to enable that he needs to find an alternative RB.

9 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Agreed, hutton was utterly phenomenal in the CL the year we got to Manchester, tav isn't anywhere near close to him the now

Totally. Utter madness to even compare them. 

17 minutes ago, TT blueteen said:

Different folk have different opinions, I respect your opinion of Tav I don't agree with your appraisal but still respect it, I just prefer my right backs strength to be defending rather than his which is attacking.

If Murty was to push him into midfield I would be more of a fan but to enable that he needs to find an alternative RB.

He would be less effective in midfield imo part of the reason he is so effective from RB is because he gets more space because he’s making his runs from deep.

22 minutes ago, Siwel said:

He would be less effective in midfield imo part of the reason he is so effective from RB is because he gets more space because he’s making his runs from deep.

Valid point, I just don't like him in defensive situations.

2 hours ago, Henders82 said:

Have to disagree. Hutton warranted a place at International and Champions League level where he excelled. Tav has some way to go before he is anywhere near the level Hutton was at. As good a player as Tav is.

Yes he's nowhere near Huttons level at that time. Far better standard domestically then too.

33 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The run for adams goal, his run for the penalty, his cross for cousin away to lyon, abd i think every old firm game he put mcgeady into the stand lol

People forget that in the first half of that season he was being touted as one of the best RBs in football.

He was outstanding for Scotland too.

I honestly think Hutton’s performances were even better than Ferguson’s in 99/00 in Europe.

15 hours ago, TT blueteen said:

Our fans are such a fickle bunch, so much joy at Tav tweeting he isn't leaving, I don't get it, a right back whose defensive qualities are ahem questionable, also his culpability to leave us short handed at the back with his attacking flair often seeing him caught out of position.

The same fans blast Kenny Millar for drifting all over the park in his efforts to influence games.Im not defending Miller just pointing out the strange support of Tav who is equally culpable of having the same faults Kenny has but recieves nowhere near the treatment Miller has.

Not true at all tav us the best right back in the league that's why I think most fans are happy at his tweet. His attacking threat is far greater than millers and Tav is coming on to a game and imo miller should be retiring from it. And for the record I was a fan of miller up until this season

8 hours ago, Ayrblue1 said:

Not true at all tav us the best right back in the league that's why I think most fans are happy at his tweet. His attacking threat is far greater than millers and Tav is coming on to a game and imo miller should be retiring from it. And for the record I was a fan of miller up until this season

My use of KM in my post was to highlight the fact he gets stick for drifting all over the park in an attempt to influence the game, instead of remaining in an advanced position, but Tav gets caught out positionally just as much as Miller through getting caught upfield trying to be an orthodox winger.

I reiterate I'm not defending Miller just pointing out both players get caught out of position but Tav gets nowhere near the grief Miller gets, and how anyone can say Tav is the best RB in the league is beyond me, the priority of a RB is an ability to defend and imo Tav is a poor defender. 

I am happy Tav is staying, but fans are going overboard at his tweet, if he is staying the club need to get him to lengthen his contract if he has no intention of extending then they should accept any reasonable bid, rather than lose him for nothing.

1 hour ago, TT blueteen said:

My use of KM in my post was to highlight the fact he gets stick for drifting all over the park in an attempt to influence the game, instead of remaining in an advanced position, but Tav gets caught out positionally just as much as Miller through getting caught upfield trying to be an orthodox winger.

I reiterate I'm not defending Miller just pointing out both players get caught out of position but Tav gets nowhere near the grief Miller gets, and how anyone can say Tav is the best RB in the league is beyond me, the priority of a RB is an ability to defend and imo Tav is a poor defender. 

I am happy Tav is staying, but fans are going overboard at his tweet, if he is staying the club need to get him to lengthen his contract if he has no intention of extending then they should accept any reasonable bid, rather than lose him for nothing.

Tav creates chances, assists and scores goals. 

The Rangers no. 9 doesn’t. 

1 hour ago, TT blueteen said:

Quote - “how some say Tav is the best RB in the league is beyond me” - that suggests there are at least 2/3 better than him. 

Name them? 

Ps give me half an hour. I’m getting some popcorn 

6 hours ago, TT blueteen said:

Aye my points about miller were reasons why I think he is getting a hard time more than tav. I understand where you were coming from but like I said tav has to be the best right back in the league and fans are happy he has stated he is staying where as your point about miller I don't think is valid due to the fact he's on the road oot and that's why people are giving him a hard time. 

4 hours ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Quote - “how some say Tav is the best RB in the league is beyond me” - that suggests there are at least 2/3 better than him. 

Name them? 

Ps give me half an hour. I’m getting some popcorn 

There is obviously something getting missed in my translation here, I rate Tav as a player, pacy, strong, excellent energy levels, capable of good crossing and scoring.

I simply do not rate him as a RB, my reasons being he is poor defensively and that is the main requisite of a RB. His concentration fails him too many times, allowing opposition to shake him off without much effort due to his poor positional sense costing us many goals.

It is a major concern a recognised winger  is expected to cover our RB due to his tendency to prefer playing in advanced positions, if this happened a few times during the course of a game then fine, as situations arise which means the right wing back is the favoured option, but for this to be the norm doesn't sit well with me.

Archived