New deal for Wes

Geo17

Still not sure, mainly due to the fact our defence itself has been dire in recent years.  Would like to judge him playing behind a strong centre half who would command the area and provide leadership to the defence, with a couple of defensively solid full backs. 

My instinct is that we need a very strong goalkeeper and centre back to progress next year, and that goalkeeper might be A.N. Other. . (Alves ain't the answer at centre back this season either)

I like his personality though, has stuck with us through thick and thin and kept character. The only exception was being intimidated by the tim mob, but he seems to have regained his confidence.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Goalkeeper is the hardest position to fill in a Rangers team. You can have nothing to do all game,  then you need to pull off an exceptional save, and folk moan because you never held onto the ball. If the goalkeeper makes an error it usually ends in a goal being scored as well.

Andy Goram was our best goalkeeper ever!

5 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Not really the same thing. Plenty of clubs have sold their best players for various reasons yet still went on to win trophies. Too much of another defeatist attitude here

defeatist fuck all surely tae fuck you've more chance winning a trophy if you keep your best players, as I said I'd rather watch the player than think ya beauty we've made a profit on him 

6 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Wes does cost us goals, let's be honest.

But he saves us a lot more goals and at times is an outstanding goalkeeper.

He's another like so many in our team that struggles with consistency levels. The ability is not in doubt.

Glad he's another that's getting tied down as I've said for a while that if he goes, who do we attract and for what we pay/have to to spend? another loanee? no thanks.

People to this day still masterbate over McGregor and he was the worst goalkeeper I've seen at us when it came to goals conceded with long range efforts. An amazing shot stopper and a good organiser/leader but very poor with shots from distance, always too far off his line for a start.

I'm happy enough with Wes but at times he needs to sharpen up.

:tu:

5 hours ago, stevemartin1991 said:

good keeper, but the amount of goals we concede from outside the box from long range shots is poor. is it we are just unlucky with the quality of goals against us or is it poor positioning/concentration from Fod?

you need to factor in the number of shots against us from distance is probably the highest in the league because, and hopefully this is changing, we for seasons have played with zero midfield.  Teams are allowed to shoot from anywhere and no keeper can stop them all.  

6 hours ago, jjbscotty12 said:

Dont think wes is good enough personallly

Who in Scotland is better? 

I think he is a cracking keeper. He gets tested more than the average keeper due to a poor defense. The points against Aberdeen and Hibs and even the celtic point, to mention a few, could have been chalked down as losses if it wasnt for him. Not just reflex saves, but he is superb at rushing out to defenders and his catching distribution has improved 10 fold. 

He’s by far and away the best keeper in the league and he’s saved us more time than I can remember. He’s still got 10+ years left at the top level, and has the potential to improve too. No brainer getttig him tied down. 

4 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Who in Scotland is better? 

I think he is a cracking keeper. He gets tested more than the average keeper due to a poor defense. The points against Aberdeen and Hibs and even the celtic point, to mention a few, could have been chalked down as losses if it wasnt for him. Not just reflex saves, but he is superb at rushing out to defenders and his catching distribution has improved 10 fold. 

Gordon and lewis are better goalkeepers than wes 

3 hours ago, Lord Lockin said:

like I've said already doesn't matter if we win anything as long as we make a profit on our players - well I for one would rather have the players than the profit

Then we won't be in business for very long, who is going to keep on providing us with loans.

It is a double edge sword, we need to get the the champions league to make money, but we need to keep our players to get there, but we need money to pay our players.

46 minutes ago, DanGer said:

The boys on here with any negativity towards Wes need to seriously have a word with themselvesThe man has saved so many games for us it’s unreal. Better than Goram by a heap!

He’s a long way short of Goram but still has a lot of improvement in him. Goram had unnatural instincts and an innate positional sense that puts him a class apart from most keepers.

47 minutes ago, DanGer said:

The boys on here with any negativity towards Wes need to seriously have a word with themselvesThe man has saved so many games for us it’s unreal. Better than Goram by a heap!

I that right Richard Cranium? He couldny kick a tim or catch a cold.

7 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Best keeper in the country, deny it and you're wrong.

He's not the best keeper in the country, and he has us cost us bad goals. I don't like to admit this but I'd put Craig Gordon ahead of him as a keeper, if for no other reason than consistency.

I need to go and lie down now, I feel a migraine coming on after that.

9 minutes ago, jjbscotty12 said:

Both kept more clean sheets than wes and so has hearts keeper wes has only 8 clean sheets in 26 games

So? They’ve both got better defences playing in front of them. Wes is a much better keeper than both of them.