Steven Gerrard MBE - New Manager

Wullie72

1 minute ago, Gman36 said:

Pedro believed he could talk his way into the job, which he succeeed in doing. I would say fairly early on it was clear he knew it wasn't going to work out. 

At least the clown Pedro had managed at other clubs and had some relative success.

This scouse prick has done fuck all yet rumbles about just strolling into the managers job at a club the size of Rangers?

It's a complete embarrassment but that's what we are now.

Under King our club will die.

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Siwel said:

Pedro believed he could do this job, Murty believed he could do this job, Warburton and Mccoist both believed that they did a good job with us. It doesn't matter if he thinks he can do a good job or not there is far more risk in it for us than him.

This was his big break into European football thats why he took it. Who had heard eh the cunt before he arrived in scotland. I dont think Murty has ever believed he could do it. Warburton done decent up to a level.

Gerrard doesn't need Rangers to give him a chance he know he will get one eventually and he will only take when he is ready mate.

Article from December about how he's doing with Liverpool youth team.

His status as a Liverpool legend has long been assured, but Steven Gerrard is now further burnishing that reputation with his feats as the club's under-18 coach.

The 37-year-old former captain has made an oustanding start to his role nurturing the next generation of Anfield talent and will certainly reflect with satisfaction on his first few months in charge.

Liverpool currently top the Northern Division of the Under-18 Premier League, remaining unbeaten after 11 games, and they also topped their group in the continental UEFA Youth League competition.

All told, and including the FA Youth Cup and the Under-18 Premier League Cup, Gerrard's side have lost just one of 21 competitive matches so far this season.

Gerrard took on an all-round role at the club's Kirkby academy back in February before being appointed under-18 boss after Neil Critchley made the step up to the under-23s.

It was sold to Gerrard as being the chance to implement his own ideas and philosophy, something the former midfielder embraced from the outset.

As befitting such an industrious player, Gerrard has gone about his new job with an obsessive eye for detail, especially when it comes for tactics.

He started the season switching between a 4-4-2 diamond and a 4-2-3-1, but has more recently opted for a 3-4-3, a change that has produced some of the side's best performances.

Taking responsibility for what is technically an under-19 team in the UEFA Youth League has also helped Gerrard's technical and tactical maturity.

As he said back in September: 'You play against different tactics, different formations - a different style.'

Against Maribor in October, for example, Gerrard did his homework and ensured his team could counter their long ball approach. They won 4-1.

Against Sevilla the following month, the Reds started the game with a high-tempo press and then sat back to counter once they had a lead. They won 4-0.

In the game with Spartak at home, the Russian side were always going to be hard to break down, but Liverpool still won 2-0.

The only time Liverpool have come unstuck this season was away to Spartak Moscow, when they were defeated 2-1, but that didn't ultimately affect their qualification chances.

In an interview with BT Sport earlier this year, Gerrard offered a small insight into the standards he expects from his players despite their inexperience.

You have to be obsessed,' he said. 'Even though they're your team-mates, you've got to be obsessed to move them out of the way, and once you're in, they're staying out of the way and not coming back.

'I love talent and I love seeing it, but the important thing is they need to understand the other side of the game.

'Fighting, winning, tackling. Going where it hurts, letting your lungs burn, really digging deep.

'The end of games when young kids want to give up, you can’t do that at Premier League level or Champions League level so, for me, just as important as talent is the other side of the game.'

Gerrard will see a reflection of himself in such qualities and there was no better example than in their league match at Manchester United in freezing conditions this month.

Despite going down to 10 men when Adam Lewis was sent off on 27 minutes, and already trailing 1-0, Liverpool battled back to lead thanks to goals from Liam Millar and Glen McAuley.

Only a 94th-minute equaliser by United's Arnau Puigmal denied Liverpool what would have been a remarkable victory.

So who has impressed under the Gerrard regime? 16-year-old local lad Curtis Jones has shone when handed a free rein going forward - he has already scored 13 goals and created a further six in just 20 games.

In September, Gerrard identified that he could build his team around Jones and the teenager hasn't disappointed.

Norwegian midfielder Edvard Tagseth provides the steel needed to free Jones further up the field, while Lewis has taken on the responsibilities of the captaincy in his stride.

If Gerrard continues this impressive start to coaching life, the offers will inevitably flood in. But as a proud one-club man, Gerrard may well view being trusted with Liverpool's future as the most important job of all.

11 minutes ago, gj923 said:

Zidane had about 5 years in a variety of jobs and then came into manage a club he had been part of the structure for years.

Guardiola had a year and again he came into a team he had been part of for many years that had strong foundations in place

There is no shortage of good players that have not made the step up....Barnes, Keane to name a few.

I agree and like any appointment it’s always a risk. I was simply pointing out that there are successful managers that have hit the ground running without any hands on experience. In footballing terms you will struggle to find anyone with his level of experience. It’s a gamble but more of an appealing gamble than Pedro was or Potter would be.

Saying that I still have my doubts it will even happen. We couldn’t entice Derek McInnes 6 months ago ffs. It would be a huge gamble and challenge for Gerrard. If he failed to deliver his managerial career could be over before it started. The safe option for him would be a club and fans with lower expectations.

5 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Industry sources estimate that Steven Gerrard’s current net worth is between $60-$103M. he could fucking buy us never mind manage us.

Would only take £30-£50 Mil of investment, some fucker said that before.....

1 minute ago, rangersross said:

This whole thing is honestly incredible. We all agree that Murty's lack of experience has been an issue - we get linked with a potential manager with less experience and people are actually excited about it? 

Because he is a leader and most likely capable of getting more from the players. Murty is just a caretaker, never been at a high level in football whatsoever. Murty used to present a BBC radio show! He has never been involved at high level football. Now I'm not saying Scottish football itself is high level but the expectations certainly are. None of the managers so far have been capable of dealing with it. 

6 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Industry sources estimate that Steven Gerrard’s current net worth is between $60-$103M. he could fucking buy us never mind manage us.

That's why I quite like the idea.

He's not in the management game cos he's retired and struggling.

He could easily live off his money made and cosy punditry gigs.

But it shows he's determined and will want to prove a point and will be taking it seriously.

7 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

This was his big break into European football thats why he took it. Who had heard eh the cunt before he arrived in scotland. I dont think Murty has ever believed he could do it. Warburton done decent up to a level.

Gerrard doesn't need Rangers to give him a chance he know he will get one eventually and he will only take when he is ready mate.

Pedro said he was the right man for the job, Murty said in a press conference he wanted the job, warburton was a shit show.

Gerrard does not deserve the job he said done nothing to earn it.

You just couldn't make this up. Its difficult to wrap your head around.

I wouldn't put it past this board, however. They should be voted out at the next AGM, and not before time. 

Not the appointment we need at the moment.

25 minutes ago, Brubear said:

Does that mean you support an individual with absolutely no managerial experience being appointed our next manager. The one thing we cannot afford is another gamble. 

Every manager is a gamble for us at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, keithgersbear said:

Because he is a leader and most likely capable of getting more from the players. Murty is just a caretaker, never been at a high level in football whatsoever. Murty used to present a BBC radio show! He has never been involved at high level football. Now I'm not saying Scottish football itself is high level but the expectations certainly are. None of the managers so far have been capable of dealing with it. 

I'm operating on the assumption that there are candidates who're better suited than Murty and Gerrard. Of the two: I'd agree that Gerrard is better equipped to deal with the pressure of managing a big club but - like Murty - he'd also be taking over our club with zero experience of senior management. Not acceptable, as far as I'm concerned. 

Just now, Chineseboy said:

Every manager is a gamble for us at the moment. 

There's a massive difference between the risk in appointing a completely, dangerously underqualified under 18's manager and the risk in appointing... an actual fucking manager!

I wouldn't necessarily be against it. He is a better option than the likes of mcinnes. And if he was to be appointed it would guarantee there would be significant money invested. 

Saying that I half expect us to go with the cheapest option.... Murty

1 minute ago, rangersross said:

I'm operating on the assumption that there are candidates who're better suited than Murty and Gerrard. Of the two: I'd agree that Gerrard is better equipped to deal with the pressure of managing a big club but - like Murty - he'd also be taking over our club with zero experience of senior management. Not acceptable, as far as I'm concerned. 

Well you can't win on here because Warnock was linked a few years back on here and just got slated. Yet he manages at a higher level than the Scottish league.  

Just now, Supersonic said:

There's a massive difference between the risk in appointing a completely, dangerously underqualified under 18's manager and the risk in appointing... an actual fucking manager!

If you have a striker in the team who misses from two yards out on a regular occurrence, then an actual manager won't make one difference.

Archived