Our crowds early 80's

pcbear

3 hours ago, Thermopylae said:

Really not too shabby at all ... also worth remembering the whole of Scottish football took a dip at that time 

not only Scottish football but English football as well...the 80s were a low point for attendances across most leagues with a few exceptions

for example

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-premier-league-1980-1981/1/

6 hours ago, broomloanjamie said:

What’s the building where the old flats used to be mate? Cool pictures

That's a good question, that building is the Copland Road School, but its not in that position??? As you say, the hinselwood flats were there and the school at the other end of the main stand, the edmiston house is behind the broomy in this photo??? Somethings been tinkering around with this image

Started attending games 83/84,had the rover season ticket,sure mines was £30??,never went anywhere else but the rear of the coppy,that's where the singing started,remember playing hibs at ibrox and the crowd was 35,000,went home thinking the place was buzzing!!

7 minutes ago, Kimbuild said:

subway loyal in the eighties  we will never learn to stay for 90 will we? still fuckin dont it cunts me off

Wit? I'd rather people stay to the end,  but can't say a bad word for anyone who sticks with the team when we have a low point. 

1 hour ago, eejay the dj said:

We lost the second leg mate but we still fucked them out 

I think the previous year .They had put us out 

That’s right, they beat us 3-1 in the second leg. We were in the old Paddock end back then, day off work and not home  until stupid o’clock the next morning. My abiding memory is that they ran out of pies at halftime, the miserable bastards.

On 12/10/2018 at 22:26, rfc_watp said:

Question to the older bears. 

What did that feel like having such low attendances when 10/15 years previous, the game you were going to were just shy of 100,000? 

Must have been tough to take at the time.

Was brutal at times, remember sitting in the red section in the CR, only me and my bro in law sitting in the row, always remember an old guy who sat in front of us with his flask and a shawl , he used to shout like fuck at all the players, in 1986 when Souness came we bought season tickets and still have the same seats.

1 hour ago, BlueboyG said:

Was brutal at times, remember sitting in the red section in the CR, only me and my bro in law sitting in the row, always remember an old guy who sat in front of us with his flask and a shawl , he used to shout like fuck at all the players, in 1986 when Souness came we bought season tickets and still have the same seats.

My first game was 71 we never got 100k crowds regulary as seems to be suggested.Old Firm games yes big European nights maybe 60kto 80k but no way were 100k turning up for run of the mill league games

18 hours ago, cogsy69uk said:

Why are the yellow and red coloured seats at the wrong end of the govan stand. Orange then brown is what should be in that pic, well spotted 

More than that, The School The Main Stand Edmiston House, it doesnt add up.

On 12/10/2018 at 22:26, rfc_watp said:

Question to the older bears. 

What did that feel like having such low attendances when 10/15 years previous, the game you were going to were just shy of 100,000? 

Must have been tough to take at the time.

There’s about 40,000 folk who can answer that ?

6 hours ago, bluedylan said:

My first game was 71 we never got 100k crowds regulary as seems to be suggested.Old Firm games yes big European nights maybe 60kto 80k but no way were 100k turning up for run of the mill league games

Iirc , the capacity for Ibrox was about 85,000 back in the early seventies . If memory serves me right we were second biggest in Britain , just behind Hampden and ahead of Wembley . 

Like you say it was only on big matches it came close to that . Think the semi v Bayern Munich in 72 was one . 

On 12/10/2018 at 22:15, TheMotor said:

Just thinking, actually. It couldn't just have been us having a shite time back then as far as crowds went.

We used to go to all of the away games independently and I only ever remember having to have tickets for the beasts and the sheep.

Could be old age fucking with the memory though.

Jock Wallace's first game back was against the sheep up there and it was pay on the gate, loafs locked out of the Beach end.

I started going in 1980. The crowds were dire compared to today even though it was cheaper, couple of quid I think. There was a bad recession during the early 80s though that doesn't explain it all as the credit crunch we had a few years back did not affect attendances.