Jon Flanagan

KeyserSoze

6 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

But that's because as often as not Tav has hit the bye line in his attack seconds earlier.

I do give Tav a bit more of a break as he attacks so often, that's his strength, and I accept he's not always where a traditional full back should be. But for me the CHs have to be expected to cover the right if we expect Tav to be so attack minded, which I do.

I've actually no issue then the player on the other side being more of a defender, though should still offer something going forward. Flanagan doesn't, nor does he defend well, and I'd estimate gave away possession at least 15 times last night. That's unacceptable, as is the number of times he was beaten one on one.

I guess it depends what you want from the full backs, and the expectations from them based on that. I'd actually contemplate Flanagan right back and Tav attacking left back if ever they had to play together again which I hope not to be the case.

Spot on analysis.

Just now, BlueMe said:

Move one of our best players, just to accommodate our worst, fuck that.

I get that. But Tav going forward mixes cutting in on his left and going outside on his right. I wonder how much we'd lose from his attacking threat cutting in on his right or going outside on his left. 

I'm countering this with potential benefits of moving Flanagan to right back where he'd hopefully perform far better in a more natural position.

Ultimately it's hypothetical based on Tav and Flanagan being full backs at same time. And I really never want to see Flanagan left back ever again.

3 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Why should we not highlight weaknesses on a fans forum? It's got fuck all to do with supporting the team last night or Sunday.

As for you CL analogy, no fan ever has been disappointed to miss out on final by losing in the semi, eh?

FFS. 

I mean with this squad, a semi final would be a massive achievement, n some fans would still say it wasn't good enough, I don't think Flanagan done much wrong, gave ball away in 1st half alot but apart from tht he was 2 on 1 in 2nd half same as tav, Middleton does not help the left back out when he is on the ball, his movement is dreading, but he is the blue eyed boy.

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I get that. But Tav going forward mixes cutting in on his left and going outside on his right. I wonder how much we'd lose from his attacking threat cutting in on his right or going outside on his left. 

I'm countering this with potential benefits of moving Flanagan to right back where he'd hopefully perform far better in a more natural position.

Ultimately it's hypothetical based on Tav and Flanagan being full backs at same time. And I really never want to see Flanagan left back ever again.

Flanagan played RB against St Mirren and he was equally shocking tbh, hopefully he just doesn't play at all mate.

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Tav was honking mate, he’s found his level in the SPFL when we step to Euro level he looks what he is bang average at best. 

He’s currently ranked, based on UEFAs own statistics, as the 10th best player in the Europa this season.  These stats combine everything: interceptions, tackles, crosses, goals, etc.

B57ACF16-44A0-4B8C-92AA-36275E2A03EF.png

110FE626-F2C8-4173-8534-32256FDE962F.png

20 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

People need to remember as well that flanagan hasnt played in weeks, and is thrown in against villareal, yeah he isnt great but he'll be lacking match fitness, tav has no excuse for his shocking distribution (something flanagan gets nailed for) 

don't have to be fit to read a game mate.

1 hour ago, eejay the dj said:

Still only played in 1 defeat all season

Not a bad record for a guy that gets slaughtered 

he isn't great but the personal stuff needs to stop ffs 

He is a lot of things, a football player isn’t one of them.

9 minutes ago, RossRFC1989 said:

I mean with this squad, a semi final would be a massive achievement, n some fans would still say it wasn't good enough, I don't think Flanagan done much wrong, gave ball away in 1st half alot but apart from tht he was 2 on 1 in 2nd half same as tav, Middleton does not help the left back out when he is on the ball, his movement is dreading, but he is the blue eyed boy.

We got to Manchester and didn't go for it until it was too late. Maybe you walked away happy we got there, I walked out the stadium with regrets that we hadn't went for it. Plenty praise for over achieving, but it's not all good as we contributed to failure. Something that none of us should simply accept at our club.

Watch last night game again, count the number of times Flanagan loses ball through poor passing, and how often he's beaten by a through ball or a player skip past him. Ignore everything other than him,what he does or doesn't, and how often it's poor. There's no defending him after his performance last night.

Last night confirmed for me that Flanagan isn't a defender. I couldn't give a toss if you are right footed and playing left back, if you are a Full Back you know how to play that position, yes you won't be as good on the wrong side but fuck me you still know how/when to tackle, where and when to be in what area of the pitch. Couple of times there was nothing between him and Worral with a couple of simple passes going astray and one required McGregor to save us. (Checked the highlights, the one at 42 mins, McGregor doesn't seem to be losing the plot with the defenders as much now. Its as if thats what he expects.)

Surprised he didn't get pulled for Halliday.

Flannigan- I spent most of my time last night giving him dogs abuse for his shite passing, positioning and well everything just about. I even resorted to calling him an ugly fucking Lee Evans lookalike 

he spoiled my night, that’s unforgivable, spoiled my whole fucking night he did

9 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

We got to Manchester and didn't go for it until it was too late. Maybe you walked away happy we got there, I walked out the stadium with regrets that we hadn't went for it. Plenty praise for over achieving, but it's not all good as we contributed to failure. Something that none of us should simply accept at our club.

Watch last night game again, count the number of times Flanagan loses ball through poor passing, and how often he's beaten by a through ball or a player skip past him. Ignore everything other than him,what he does or doesn't, and how often it's poor. There's no defending him after his performance last night.

Fair point! But he has been a big part of our European season! 1 goal conceded at ibrox which was clearly offside. N he has played every minute of they 3 group games 

14 minutes ago, TMB said:

He’s currently ranked, based on UEFAs own statistics, as the 10th best player in the Europa this season.  These stats combine everything: interceptions, tackles, crosses, goals, etc.

B57ACF16-44A0-4B8C-92AA-36275E2A03EF.png

110FE626-F2C8-4173-8534-32256FDE962F.png

Do they count the times his passes go astray or the times he’s caught way out of position loses his man, crosses soar pass everyone corners hit the first man. 

Or is it just the good things he does and the fact he plays every game. 

55 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

The stats are based on facts, kinda difficult to argue against them when every players careers are based around stats and how successful they are. UEFA decides these things, not me.

At the very least, it proves he's not pish, and he's certainly good enough for Europe. 

Do we have stats for the things he does wrong?? 

Good enough for Europe😂😂 funny as that steward last night. 

1 minute ago, KazzyTI said:

Why on earth has Tav even been brought into this? If anyone on the face of the planet watched last night's game and thought they were played to a similar standard wants to give up watching football. Flanagan was abysmal. 

Tavernier is a popular whipping boy on here.  If there’s an opportunity to bring him down some won’t let that opportunity pass them by.  Tavernier has been a standout for us yet you get people who refuse to accept it. 

10 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Do we have stats for the things he does wrong?? 

Good enough for Europe😂😂 funny as that steward last night. 

Why would you want stats for the things he does wrong? Do you want those stats for every other player as well?

It's already been pointed out why he's good enough for Europe, look back in the thread if you're struggling to understand that mate.

35 minutes ago, RossRFC1989 said:

Blue eyed boy? Elaborate.

1 minute ago, BlueMe said:

Why would you want stats for the things he does wrong? Do you want those stats for every other player as well?

It's already been pointed out why he's good enough for Europe, look back in the thread if you're struggling to understand that mate.

Aye let’s see everything, if your going to just point out what he does right to prove a point but ignore his glaring faults then your argument is a burst balloon.