Deliver the League Title

Brian Fantana

12 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

Pedantic maybe but I said 4 years ago...

And taking a success out of the analysis so you can support a point is yes, fuckin mental.

"Apart from us being good, we're shite".  :rofl:

Not taking success out at all, saying that while the European success is brilliant, it's not what the manager was brought in for. I've loved the European run & the money it's brought in should help us.

Players can get themselves going for the big European nights & that's been shown already this season.

What we need is a manager who can beat the teams we play every week & a manager who can make use of the money we have at the moment, Gerrard has failed miserably on both of those fronts

2 hours ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

what depresses me is watching the Dundee game and thinking how little real progress we've made in the FOUR years since McCoist left

this is nonsense.

Sure, if you take the Dundee game as an overview of all the ames we have played this season, then yes you could possibly stretch to say we have made no progress.

We have played way more games than Dundee though, and if you take the season as a while so far, you can plainly see we have made more progress under SG than any other time in the past 6 years.   

1 minute ago, Valance1690 said:

Not taking success out at all, saying that while the European success is brilliant, it's not what the manager was brought in for. I've loved the European run & the money it's brought in should help us.

Players can get themselves going for the big European nights & that's been shown already this season.

What we need is a manager who can beat the teams we play every week & a manager who can make use of the money we have at the moment, Gerrard has failed miserably on both of those fronts

You're talking utter shite...

What Rangers manager in our history has not been expected to bring a modicum of success in Europe????

We're on an upward trajectory and hit a bump, so what???  We're still in touch. 

What do you expect with the level of investment?  Second biggest budget in the league which as less than half the biggest?  And where are we?  Oh, that's right, second.  We all want better, but it needs a bit of luck too unfortunately.  

Instead of trying to shake it up...again... how about rallying behind the manager and team and help with the push.  Attitudes like this seriously piss me off because it holds us back.

11 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Course not & I would never have expected us to

What is expected is domestic progress after the money we've spent, Europe was a free hit & I'm more than happy with how we've done.

Domestically though, it's not just the results but the performances which are worrying. We don't create many chances, we give away silly goals/fouls constantly & we just don't look like a good side apart from a few flashes of quality.

If Gerrard was a foreign manager (or even a lesser known domestic manager) he would have been hounded out the door by now, his name is what's keeping the fans from turning on him

He's had one transfer window... 

28 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

After 16 league games last season we had 30 points, this was after sacking Caxinha a month before when fans where screaming for him to go.

1) 16 games this season, we have 31 points & apparently Gerrard has done well? Stats clearly say he hasn't

2) 8 million + spent on players, most of whom on current showing we'll struggle to recoup what we spent on them

3) Out of the Scottish Cup again before the final, against the sheep & we haven't beaten them in 3 attempts

4) Piss poor results against others in the league, Livingston/Motherwell/Dundee to name a few.

5)Beat off the taigs, something that was happening before Gerrard came but still deserves a mention.

6)The only consolation of this season is the European run which we do deserve credit for but overall, we're not miles ahead of where we were last season at all

1) last season we were not playing 14 games in Europe during the same timeframe.

2) We have a few players in the team that an recoup that amount of money (morelos, tav) I think we could easily at least get our money back for Goldson too.

3) give u that one.

4) We have beat Motherwell 7-1 this season, We beat dundee 4-0,  and beat Livingston 3-0

5) we haven't beten them in years, and have only played them once so far this season.

6) we are two points from the top of the league.

17 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

:lol:  He has built a squad that got within a bawhair of getting to the knockout stages of Europe, and is sitting 2 points from the top of the league, but aye, he is a massive failure so far.

this place is insane.

1 minute ago, Valance1690 said:

And in 1 window has spent 8 million on 4 players, all of who could in theory be dropped on Sunday without arguement

Aye let's give him another big budget in January and see what he can do with it 

Who's the 4 players he's spent £8m on? 

3 minutes ago, gogzy said:

1) last season we were not playing 14 games in Europe during the same timeframe.

2) We have a few players in the team that an recoup that amount of money (morelos, tav) I think we could easily at least get our money back for Goldson too.

3) give u that one.

4) We have beat Motherwell 7-1 this season, We beat dundee 4-0,  and beat Livingston 3-0

5) we haven't beten them in years, and have only played them once so far this season.

1) Agreed, the players look knackered but it's no excuse for the performances, sorry but it's not.

2) Morelos/Tav are definitely out biggest assets and both were signed by previous managers & for less than what Gerrard has spent on his 4 major signings, that tells you everything about his quality of signings 

4) We have had some good results I agree but the performances have just went off a cliff the last few months and Gerrard needs to sort it out and quickly 

5) Not beating celtic isnt his fault as they're miles ahead in terms of budgets/quality but the same can be said for us and the rest of the league 

45 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

After 16 league games last season we had 30 points, this was after sacking Caxinha a month before when fans where screaming for him to go.

16 games this season, we have 31 points & apparently Gerrard has done well? Stats clearly say he hasn't

8 million + spent on players, most of whom on current showing we'll struggle to recoup what we spent on them

Out of the Scottish Cup again before the final, against the sheep & we haven't beaten them in 3 attempts

Piss poor results against others in the league, Livingston/Motherwell/Dundee to name a few.

Beat off the taigs, something that was happening before Gerrard came but still deserves a mention.

The only consolation of this season is the European run which we do deserve credit for but overall, we're not miles ahead of where we were last season at all

Caixinha had also been in charge at the tail end of the previous season and was knocked out of Europe at the first hurdle. The League form wasn't the only factor in his sacking.

16 games in and we're two points off top.

Not every player is going to recoup what you spend on them. If all we're interested in is buying low and selling high then titles and trophies are largely irrelevant.

We've played in 52 Scottish Cup finals (winning 33). We've missed out on just shy of 100 finals. (Although what you mean is the League Cup since we've yet to play our first Scottish Cup game this season so...) We've also missed out on more League Cup finals than we've reached since the competition started. Absolute non-issue.

Name me a Rangers manager that hasn't had piss poor results in the league?

We lost to celtic? How many seasons in our history have we gone without losing to them once?

Where would we need to be to be 'mies ahead' of last season?

Just now, Valance1690 said:

1) Agreed, the players look knackered but it's no excuse for the performances, sorry but it's not.

2) Morelos/Tav are definitely out biggest assets and both were signed by previous managers & for less than what Gerrard has spent on his 4 major signings, that tells you everything about his quality of signings 

4) We have had some good results I agree but the performances have just went off a cliff the last few months and Gerrard needs to sort it out and quickly 

5) Not beating celtic isnt his fault as they're miles ahead in terms of budgets/quality but the same can be said for us and the rest of the league 

1) of course it is.  Why do you think the tarriers have dropped so many points this season?  because they are playing in Euro competition every week too, and that leads to tiredness with the players, this can't be denied.

2) I don't think errard has done too badly with signings. Goldson is worth the money ( Katic was playing real well before he fell away) I think we could easily recoup our money on both of those.  Just who have we spent money on that has been wasted in your opinion?

4) we have hit a bad bit of form, you can't look at the bad form and not take into account the good form.

5) we still have possibly 4 more games against them this season, lets just see how it plays out.

7 minutes ago, gogzy said:

3) give u that one.

3) Gerrard has yet to play in the Scottish Cup.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Caixinha had also been in charge at the tail end of the previous season and was knocked out of Europe at the first hurdle. The League form wasn't the only factor in his sacking.

16 games in and we're two points off top.

Not every player is going to recoup what you spend on them. If all we're interested in is buying low and selling high then titles and trophies are largely irrelevant.

We've played in 52 Scottish Cup finals (winning 33). We've missed out on just shy of 100 finals. (Although what you mean is the League Cup since we've yet to play our first Scottish Cup game this season so...)

Name me a Rangers manager that hasn't had piss poor results in the league?

We lost to celtic? How many seasons in our history have we gone without losing to them once?

Where would we need to be to be 'mies ahead' of last 

Every manager has had poor results but it's a different day & age, managers have to hit the ground running, especially when they spent a hefty chunk of cash

Losing to celtic I don't blame Gerrard for but has to be mentioned in his season so far, beating them would've been massive in the scale of things, just for confidence

Where would we need to be? Beating teams like Dundee/Livingston/St Mirren comfortably & beating Aberdeen at least twice from the 3 times we've played them. That's just based on the games so far this season

Every manager has had poor results but it's a different day & age, managers have to hit the ground running, especially when they spent a hefty chunk of cash

Losing to celtic I don't blame Gerrard for but has to be mentioned in his season so far, beating them would've been massive in the scale of things, just for confidence

Where would we need to be? Beating teams like Dundee/Livingston/St Mirren comfortably & beating Aberdeen at least twice from the 3 times we've played them. That's just based on the games so far this season

So by hitting the ground running do you mean going far beyond most people's expectations and reaching the EL group stages (the only team to do so from the first qualifying round iirc)?

I've watched Rangers teams containing far better and much more expensive players lose or draw to Dundee/Livi/St. Mirren.

Over the entire history of the league we've beat Dundee 130 times and failed to beat them 97 times. Livingston 16 wins out of 26. St Mirren 157 wins, 76 times we failed to beat them. None of this is anything new to Gerrard's side (or even post-2012 Rangers.)

2 minutes ago, gogzy said:

1) of course it is.  Why do you think the tarriers have dropped so many points this season?  because they are playing in Euro competition every week too, and that leads to tiredness with the players, this can't be denied.

2) I don't think errard has done too badly with signings. Goldson is worth the money ( Katic was playing real well before he fell away) I think we could easily recoup our money on both of those.  Just who have we spent money on that has been wasted in your opinion?

4) we have hit a bad bit of form, you can't look at the bad form and not take into account the good form.

5) we still have possibly 4 more games against them this season, lets just see how it plays out.

1) Think I'm maybe being harsh reading back, aye it must be a factor but surely the spin on that should be that the players would be developing a better understanding of playing with each other? We look like a team of strangers sometimes, even last week against Dundee 

2) Signings have been my biggest criticism of Gerrard. Goldson is th3 only 1 id rate and even him I couldn't see us recouping our money for right now, maybe in the long run he'll come good though. Katic has been battered confidence wise & that completley sits at the managers door. Grezda/Barisic, jury is still out because of injury but for 3/4 million, they need to be hitting the ground running

3) I agree with that tbh, think the anger is clouding some of the good performances right now.

4) A win against them at the end of the month would be massive on the scale of things

1) Think I'm maybe being harsh reading back, aye it must be a factor but surely the spin on that should be that the players would be developing a better understanding of playing with each other? We look like a team of strangers sometimes, even last week against Dundee 

2) Signings have been my biggest criticism of Gerrard. Goldson is th3 only 1 id rate and even him I couldn't see us recouping our money for right now, maybe in the long run he'll come good though. Katic has been battered confidence wise & that completley sits at the managers door. Grezda/Barisic, jury is still out because of injury but for 3/4 million, they need to be hitting the ground running

3) I agree with that tbh, think the anger is clouding some of the good performances right now.

4) A win against them at the end of the month would be massive on the scale of things

How do they hit the ground running when they are injured?

20 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

And in 1 window has spent 8 million on 4 players, all of who could in theory be dropped on Sunday without arguement

Aye let's give him another big budget in January and see what he can do with it 

17 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Who's the 4 players he's spent £8m on? 

:whistle:

3 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

on 2....

I think Goldson is worth the money, apart from a few slip ups, he has been a rock for us.  Katic might yet find form again ( if he doesn't I thin we could recoup most, if not all of the money we paid for him)  Barisic hasn't really had the chance to show us what he can do, same with Grezda.  I get what you are saying about hitting the ground running, ( I'd say Goldson and Katic both done that) but coming to a strange country to play for a new team can be a culture shock.  Glasgow can be a culture shock to anyone :lol:

22 minutes ago, gogzy said:

if you take the season as a while so far, you can plainly see we have made more progress under SG than any other time in the past 6 years.   

Outside of the good European run I'm not sure I can see any evidence of the above.

1. We are on similar points in league to last season. We just look better because the scum have faltered.
  2. We were every bit as outclassed in the last OF game as the drubbings of recent seasons.
  3. We have won by good margin in some league games and looked impotent in others (same inconsistency as Warburton basically)
  4. Gerrard is praising his players profusely after good results and bemoaning the lack of quality after poor results (same as Warburton basically)

I fucking WANT to believe as much as anyone on here. I think any feeling that good steady progress is being made is based on Gerrard being here for the next couple of seasons and building a good squad. If he leaves prematurely due to poor league performance (coming 3rd or 4th and being embarrassed by the scum) then it will be virtually impossible to look at the aftermath and feel we've made any progress.