What was it like to go through 9/10 seasons of not winning the League?

McEwan's Lager

Early 80’s were brutal but I supported through thick and thin. Dominance is cyclical imo, sometimes we are on top sometimes it’s them. But going to the football and supporting Rangers and our beliefs is always a pleasure I will never pass up. It’s brilliant to be a Rangers fan despite the results at times😀🇬🇧😀

During septics 9iar it has to be said we did reach 2 European finals  :tu: ... The 78 - 87 one was quite different because the new firm stopped the soap dodgers lining their pockets and also we modernised Ibrox during that time which added to the prestige of the club even if it wasn't quite happening on the park  

12 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

i can't imagine it being worse than us going down to the 3rd division then getting pumped by teams like Alloa, we had to watch the scum win league afyer league while we could do nothing to stop it

A big difference is the age you were and probably the amount of games you went to the first one I was so young it almost seemed like that was just the way it was the second I went to all the games and that was probably worse but I didn't find the last one so bad because I was just glad to still have the club 

It was torture in the early eighties but I still enjoyed going to the games back then...... just for the atmosphere and the comradre more than anything else. A visit to Ibrox was and still is a special occasion in my book... no matter where we are in the league.

The great news is I think we are about to end our barren spell this time around - either this season or possibly next season under Stevie G.

20 hours ago, harlands plater said:

Exactly, well put.

When we won the league in 1964 I was only seven so it was an indescribable feeling to stand on the Easter Road terracing at eighteen and finally see Rangers become league champions. 

But all through the barren years of their nine in a row we always knew we were the bigger, more superior club. They were the small time, classless outfit who got lucky for a time - we knew it, and they knew it. Quite similar to today.

Exactly mate.  

It just seemed the norm when i was a kid, but Rangers was our team and we trekked all over the country watching them, footballs all about following through thick and thin, and the last few years being outrageously  badly managed on and off field plus being out the league prior to that have given the scum a march on us, but the good times are in the post.

We had some great players and some success in the 70's but early 80's was awful and I lived away then thank fuck. It's football, we support Rangers whatever the situation and hope that it will be better next season........ and then it is........... and you're champions again.That's what happened. Hopefully, we'll be saying that this year. 

i remember my grand father telling me he was too young to come up from port glasgow  till he was 16  which was in 1902 he said he never saw gers win a cup till 1928 by my counting he was 42 for  his first win and he never forgot that game when i last saw him in 1956 just before his death ,the first question was how are the boys playing ?  i never told him it was not one of our best teams.

2 hours ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

i remember my grand father telling me he was too young to come up from port glasgow  till he was 16  which was in 1902 he said he never saw gers win a cup till 1928 by my counting he was 42 for  his first win and he never forgot that game when i last saw him in 1956 just before his death ,the first question was how are the boys playing ?  i never told him it was not one of our best teams.

When my granda died at 79 in 1975 he didn’t leave many keepsakes but we found two photographs he had cut out from newspapers- one of the Rangers 1928 Scottish Cup winning team, and one of the Wembley Wizards. 

That Rangers team was revered by men of his generation.

29 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

When my granda died at 79 in 1975 he didn’t leave many keepsakes but we found two photographs he had cut out from newspapers- one of the Rangers 1928 Scottish Cup winning team, and one of the Wembley Wizards. 

My old man told me a story of when he was a kid going on about Ronnie McKinnon, someone piped up that he wasn’t fit to lace George Young’s boots, and then another old boy told them neither of them were as good as Meiklejohn :lol: 

On 11/01/2019 at 21:59, harlands plater said:

Exactly, well put.

When we won the league in 1964 I was only seven so it was an indescribable feeling to stand on the Easter Road terracing at eighteen and finally see Rangers become league champions. 

But all through the barren years of their nine in a row we always knew we were the bigger, more superior club. They were the small time, classless outfit who got lucky for a time - we knew it, and they knew it. Quite similar to today.

Pretty much this. Their PR and propaganda machines doesn’t change the fact that we will always be bigger and better, hence their inferiority complex and constant defence mechanism.

21 hours ago, harlands plater said:

i used to get it drummed into me, i,ll try from memory  hamilton gray hamilton simpson meikljohn brown.archibald cunningham  fleming mcphail and morton..