Have we made progress?

G.E.C.

2 hours ago, gogzy said:

We are through bad luck and a few bad choices not sitting top of the league.  Last season we were nowhere close and we couldn't blame luck of bad choices, we were just bad.

Due to Celt*c having their worst domestic season in years plus going further in Europe than was expected past Christmas, they have been well below the standards they have been setting in recent seasons and look where we are. They have also lost their most successful manger since O'Neil too at the business end of the season and we still cant do fuck all.

We had the chance to stay top...bottled it, we had the chance to be in cup semi finals...bottled it, we keep getting chances to make some ground up and constantly bottle it.

You might see progress domestically (1 point better off than Pedro/Murty) but all I see is the same old loser mentality that has plagued this club for years, we don't have what it takes to win trophies...it's not nice to hear but it's the truth. |It's not changing anytime soon either unless big changes are made.

26 minutes ago, OhW said:

You didn’t list any. 

We never had any targets then Gerrard was plucked out the sky by Dave King,   You could have asked Harry Rednapp to steady the ship for a  year or 2 before he went in the jungle.  He is proven at managing.   

As much as it pains me but too many players in our team are letting the manager down and if they keep doing it he will pay the price.

unless they gift us the league this year we must stop them next year as a treble treble then 9 Ina row is unacceptable for any Rangers fan to accept   

Gerrard would not have been on my list never mind the main target , he might be turn out to be a great manager but we have took a hell of a gamble on him and right now it is not paying off  

5 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

We never had any targets then Gerrard was plucked out the sky by Dave King,   You could have asked Harry Rednapp to steady the ship for a  year or 2 before he went in the jungle.  He is proven at managing.

Take my pick of one? 

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

Due to Celt*c having their worst domestic season in years plus going further in Europe than was expected past Christmas, they have been well below the standards they have been setting in recent seasons and look where we are. They have also lost their most successful manger since O'Neil too at the business end of the season and we still cant do fuck all.

We had the chance to stay top...bottled it, we had the chance to be in cup semi finals...bottled it, we keep getting chances to make some ground up and constantly bottle it.

You might see progress domestically but all I see is the same old loser mentality that has plagued this club for years, we don't have what it takes to win trophies...it's not nice to hear but it's the truth. |It's not changing anytime soon either unless big changes are made.

All of the above costing far far more this season than  in recent seasons. 

The difference between us is I think we have drew 4 more games than them,  that's the 8 points a difference, they have dropped so many points yet we still trail them and I certainly don't see any if much  progress , yes we have better players and squad as the bench now shows but it has cost a few quid also to get these players .

We now must win all league games to win the league , it's that simple , or at least put in a string finish a keep the gap to under 10 pts and really hope at them next season 

3 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

?

You said there were better options than Gerrard. 

I asked “who?”

You said “take your pick”

I said “you didn’t list any” for me to take my pick from. 

You gave me one to take my pick from, Redknapp. 

10 minutes ago, OhW said:

You said there were better options than Gerrard. 

I asked “who?”

You said “take your pick”

I said “you didn’t list any” for me to take my pick from. 

You gave me one to take my pick from, Redknapp. 

Are you trying to tell me not one decent manager would have came near us?  The board never went for anyone decent with a decent track record even now you could take your pick as managers as  like players have no loyalty and would jump at the chance to manage us ,

As for McInnes? Thank fuck he knocked us back as I could not believe that was the standard of manager we were looking at, but 3 times this season he a skelped Gerrard which is really hard to take and in every of them with 10 men at Ibrox 

4 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

Are you trying to tell me not one decent manager would have came near us?  The board never went for anyone decent with a decent track record even now you could take your pick as managers as  like players have no loyalty and would jump at the chance to manage us ,

As for McInnes? Thank fuck he knocked us back as I could not believe that was the standard of manager we were looking at, but 3 times this season he a skelped Gerrard which is really hard to take and in every of them with 10 men at Ibrox 

I don’t think a decent manager who is a proven commodity would come anywhere near us.

They will know their worth and do their homework and they will know that without significant financial backing, far beyond what we had already spent, then unless all the planets align and we get a lot of luck we aren’t getting anywhere near celtic over the course of a 38 game season even though that’s expectation of the support.

That’s as big of a reason that we’ve ended up with Warburton, Caixinha and now a novice in Gerrard, as the board being shite at picking managers is.

16 hours ago, MrMckee said:

We've made progress but not enough to see any major impact on winning a trophy etc. Disgrace when you consider the money spent we should be neck and neck with celtic. Instead we are getting bossed by shite like Aberdeen. 

A disgrace is thinking that we should be neck and neck with celtic!

We spent what, £8-9m this season? They almost spent that on one player!

The sooner people realise that our squad is nowhere near good enough to compete for a season the better it will be for everyone.

Our squad should be able to finish ahead of Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Kilmarnock etc which is proving to be the case, but theres no doubt that Aberdeen have our number at the moment. We are very predictable and delibarate on the ball and last night we just lacked quality when it mattered.

34 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

All I’ve been doing every time is asking you for some examples, don’t know why you find it so confusing. So far all you’ve said is Redknapp. Don’t know why you mentioned McInnes, I never brought him up at all. 

31 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

A few on here keep going on about less goals, fewer defeats, only lost bar one goal(before last night)... so what?

You got 0 points whether you lose 1-0, 2-0 or 5-0! 

As for the lost less games arguments, means nothing when you draw constantly. Not a single person would pick 10 draws from 10 matches over 5 wins and 5 defeats, simple reason being that it would gather 5 less points!

Mental to be wax lyrical over drawing games or not losing by more than a goal, small club mentality!

Also we don't/can't find ways to win.

We've only won 3 out of 13 games where we've went 1 goal down.

7 of those 10 we didn't, the goal came in the first half as well.

4 hours ago, gogzy said:

I'll have a bash.

In the games we have lost or drawn this season we have mostly looked the better team , that wasn't the case last season.

We have only lose twice all season at Ibrox, that's better than last season.

We have lost one game all season by more than one goal, and in a few of those games we could or should have done enough to win the game.  this is an improvement on last season. 

We beat celtic this season, we hadn't done that for ages.

Where we have failed to progress domestically is in our consistency, and our failure to put teams away at times.

On paper it looks like we have made no domestic progress, but had we had a bit of luck in some of our games where we dropped points, we would be sitting with the same points as them, or much closer at least.  We dropped 4 points recently from 2 last kicks of the ball and our European run helped cost us some silly points earlier this season.

Add to all that the absolutely terrible decisions from referees that have cost us points ( going right back to the first game of the season against Aberdeen).

We are through bad luck and a few bad choices not sitting top of the league.  Last season we were nowhere close and we couldn't blame luck of bad choices, we were just bad.

Hibs I'll give you, Aberdeen x4, Motherwell, Tarriers, Kilmarnock away x2, St Johnstone at home, Dundee away all games we were dreadful and looked far from the best team.

7 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

Also we don't/can't find ways to win.

We've only won 3 out of 13 games where we've went 1 goal down.

7 of those 10 we didn't, the goal came in the first half as well.

Seen something about going 1 nil down at Ibrox and we only time we've won is against Ross County, can't remember the time scale on that though

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Seen something about going 1 nil down at Ibrox and we only time we've won is against Ross County, can't remember the time scale on that though

We managed it against Rapid at home this season (if we're counting across all competitions). On the whole it feels like we're fucked the second we go behind.

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

The more you think about it no we absolutely haven't

We are in the same position as last year, trophyless, in a fight for 2nd and with more or less a whole squad who aren't up to it in ability or attitude

I'd be surprised if this lot finish second, they couldn't raise their game last night, our only chance of a trophy, sickening. 

We are, at best, a work in progress. We still lack the quality, consistency and winning mentality it takes to win trophies. 

Quality - We do not have the quality in midfield or upfront to unlock a well-drilled defence.  I don't believe we have the personnel for a 4-3-3. Candeias for example - and I genuinely love they guy's effort and occasional flashes of quality - is a right midfielder, not a winger. In days gone by he would have been a squad player and that is what he should be next season.

Consistency - At times we have played good football - and not only against the shite teams in the league. But we have dropped points either because we can't put games away when we have been in control - losing late equalisers really pisses me off - or because we've played like no one in the team knows where the opposition goal is. Draws have fucked us in the league.

Winning mentality We do not have the physical presence or grit to fight it out with teams like Aberdeen. Apart from McGregor it sometimes seems that no one's that arsed if we're losing. We need players who scream at their teammates if that's what it takes to change the game. Not sulky wee boys that become invisble.

I don't expect us to change everything over the summer, but I'd want us to be buying better quality, training harder to cut down on the stupid mistakes and I would want the team to look like it gves a fuck about the result.

1 hour ago, sairheid_bear said:

We are, at best, a work in progress. We still lack the quality, consistency and winning mentality it takes to win trophies. 

Quality - We do not have the quality in midfield or upfront to unlock a well-drilled defence.  I don't believe we have the personnel for a 4-3-3. Candeias for example - and I genuinely love they guy's effort and occasional flashes of quality - is a right midfielder, not a winger. In days gone by he would have been a squad player and that is what he should be next season.

Consistency - At times we have played good football - and not only against the shite teams in the league. But we have dropped points either because we can't put games away when we have been in control - losing late equalisers really pisses me off - or because we've played like no one in the team knows where the opposition goal is. Draws have fucked us in the league.

Winning mentality We do not have the physical presence or grit to fight it out with teams like Aberdeen. Apart from McGregor it sometimes seems that no one's that arsed if we're losing. We need players who scream at their teammates if that's what it takes to change the game. Not sulky wee boys that become invisble.

I don't expect us to change everything over the summer, but I'd want us to be buying better quality, training harder to cut down on the stupid mistakes and I would want the team to look like it gves a fuck about the result.

good post.