18 games this season against the current top 6

With the split coming up it’ll be interesting to see how we cope.  We’ve struggled to beat top six teams all season.  This team, this manager, needs to prove he can beat these teams consistently. 

Was the same under Warburton. Managers and teams sussed out pretty quickly how to make our game plan ineffective. Fast forward 18 months and in the same position. A new manager who doesn't know how to change a formation or the tactics and if we don't score inside first 20 mins we're then clueless. It's like groundhog day. 

1 hour ago, Blumhoilann said:

Good point CB😉

We haven’t been great against the top half but we aren’t anywhere near as bad as some are making out. 

Its the inconsistency that is killing us we are outstanding one week then dire the next. You can coach that consistency into some of them but a few I believe will just never be up to it. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

We haven’t been great against the top half but we aren’t anywhere near as bad as some are making out. 

Its the inconsistency that is killing us we are outstanding one week then dire the next. You can coach that consistency into some of them but a few I believe will just never be up to it. 

100% CB

13 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

It can change over half time, never mind in a week, CB!

14 hours ago, Gazzalivesforever said:

Was the same under Warburton. Managers and teams sussed out pretty quickly how to make our game plan ineffective. Fast forward 18 months and in the same position. A new manager who doesn't know how to change a formation or the tactics and if we don't score inside first 20 mins we're then clueless. It's like groundhog day. 

Our game plan is to play Morelos up front on his own and aim as many balls at him as we can hoping he takes tha baw an scoresit .

I think during team talks Gerrard just points to Morelos and says that “takes tha baw an scoresit” team talk over.

As if it’s a difficult for any manager to suss us out!

We have one manager who refuses to play anything other than tippy tappy gung ho attacking football - fuck the defence.

We then have a manager that is in no way qualified to manage us and again doesn’t sort out our defence.

Then to sort the problem we have a rookie manager that comes in and banks us winning games on one single player and only changing things in emergency situations when the game has already gone. Or... when that one player is absent due to him being a stupid dick on the field. 

Anyway, today’s my Friday so... calm relax, breathe in... breathe out... breathe in... breathe out.

22 minutes ago, Blueteeth said:

Our game plan is to play Morelos up front on his own and aim as many balls at him as we can hoping he takes tha baw an scoresit .

I think during team talks Gerrard just points to Morelos and says that “takes tha baw an scoresit” team talk over.

As if it’s a difficult for any manager to suss us out!

We have one manager who refuses to play anything other than tippy tappy gung ho attacking football - fuck the defence.

We then have a manager that is in no way qualified to manage us and again doesn’t sort out our defence.

Then to sort the problem we have a rookie manager that comes in and banks us winning games on one single player and only changing things in emergency situations when the game has already gone. Or... when that one player is absent due to him being a stupid dick on the field. 

Anyway, today’s my Friday so... calm relax, breathe in... breathe out... breathe in... breathe out.

I would agree with that if the formation was failing week in week out. 

But it doesn’t it’s simply down to the players application of what they are getting told, we have played well against Aberdeen once this season and we humped them. We have played well against Killie twice this season and we humped them. Hibs is the only team we have played well against and came away with just a draw. We played well against the scum and made them look like the ordinary team they are  

If we play well 9 times out of 10 we win no matter what formation or what the other manager does. 

15 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

I would agree with that if the formation was failing week in week out. 

But it doesn’t it’s simply down to the players application of what they are getting told, we have played well against Aberdeen once this season and we humped them. We have played well against Killie twice this season and we humped them. Hibs is the only team we have played well against and came away with just a draw. We played well against the scum and made them look like the ordinary team they are  

If we play well 9 times out of 10 we win no matter what formation or what the other manager does. 

Could it be down to more what the other team does rather than what we do? For example if the other side sets up defensively and it's on us to try and break them down we struggle hugely. If the other side is going for it and play is open then we tend to benefit greatly from that.

9 minutes ago, King Jela said:

The sheep might still get 2nd yet. Gruesome stuff. 

they are more likely to get second than we are to get first, I mean it's the same points difference. but of course both scenarios are unlikely now. it would have to take a catastrophic implosion  on the scum behalf with us suddenly gaining the consistency we've never had all season. same with the sheep, we'd have to completely fuck things up and the sheep to suddenly discover faultless form.

don't see it happening, also the goal difference helps us vs the sheep

25 minutes ago, Blueteeth said:

Could it be down to more what the other team does rather than what we do? For example if the other side sets up defensively and it's on us to try and break them down we struggle hugely. If the other side is going for it and play is open then we tend to benefit greatly from that.

Hibs have played us the same way under Lennon should’ve beat them twice if we could finish, under the new idiot we played them off the pitch again and couldn’t score. 

Aberdeen you get the same way every game we play, if we are up for it we hump them. 

Killie are the same and again if we are up for it we hump them. 

Mitherwell as well we are onnot we hammer them, if we can’t be arsed it’s a hard day at the office. 

It’s all down to us. 

2 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

not sure he cant play against it,  but we dont have the manpower to do it. Alfredo means we play 4-3-3.

They should be drilling alfredo in training to be better with a partner and we should be trying with 2 up front against the liked of aberdeen.

42 minutes ago, Blueteeth said:

I think you have that spot on, we start this slow passing across the back line then it ends up down a wing, by then the other team has got everyone behind the ball and usually ends with a shite cross to no one, and then repeat as above. We need to speed up our play and get balls in behind whether it is from wide or through the channels, it happens at times as CB has said and we win well, but for me it is the pressure of the important games where we become poor. The game on the 29th made many of us believe the team had turned a corner, they obviously had not.

To me it comes down to lack of belief that they are going to win the game, too many players with no winning background and the mentality to get the right result.

Two days later I cannot believe how poor we were on Tuesday night, our last realistic chance of a cup at home and still they could not raise their game to even score once never mind win the game.  

We dont have the players to play 4-3-3 in Scotland.

To be successful, you need the two wide forwards to score at least 20 goals between them and the midfield 3 - 20-25 between them.

Arfield, Kent and Candeias are at 18 goals between them. To put that into perspective, Windass had the same total at this stage last season.

This season Gerrard has tried to turn two players (Coulibaly& Jack),who’ve spent their careers playing as deep lying midfielders, into number 8’s playmakers.

19 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

Morelos is more than good enough to play in a 2

Of course he is, but if you're not used to something and you're suddenly asked to do it you'll struggle. As you'll no doubt know a striking partnership takes time to develop. I know they might be working on it during training etc, but I've only seen the odd game where we've gone with two up front. I thought Morelos & defoe would have been perfect for each other, because Morelos is a good target man and is physical and is quite skillful. Him passing onto a slighter, more clinical player in Defoe had me thinking we had a partnership sorted. But, they've hardly played together. I even thought Lafferty might do a job along with Morelos but again hardly ever happened.

5 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

We dont have the players to play 4-3-3 in Scotland.

To be successful, you need the two wide forwards to score at least 20 goals between them and the midfield 3 - 20-25 between them.

Arfield, Kent and Candeias are at 18 goals between them. To put that into perspective, Windass had the same total at this stage last season.

This season Gerrard has tried to turn two players (Coulibaly& Jack),who’ve spent their careers playing as deep lying midfielders, into number 8’s playmakers.

That exactly it.He is trying to copy the Liverpool system of 433 ,which is fair enough.The difference lies in how the front 3 are deployed.The Liverpool front wide men are constantly coming inside into the box when the play is on the opposite wing.Our wide men are constantly on the line (probably because our full backs are hopeless defensively) which leaves us with an isolated striker usually against two ,sometimes three defenders.We are not implementing the 433 system properly and it's not just down to the players

On 13/03/2019 at 13:10, TMB said:

With the split coming up it’ll be interesting to see how we cope.  We’ve struggled to beat top six teams all season.  This team, this manager, needs to prove he can beat these teams consistently. 

We will win the league ! 

I think we will have given everyone a false sense of security?