What else do we need?

GOAT

I would say we need the following:-

Left Back - New first choice option as Barasic so far does not look like he can make that position his own.

Centre Back - Preferably one who will be a new first choice, who is better than either Katic or Goldson.

Striker - Would rather again it was real quality, someone who can push Morelos and Defoe for a starting place. This would cover us in any cases where Morelos is sold with a  late bid, or is suspended for large parts of the season.

If we could get these 3 positions sorted out, I would give us a 50/50 shout in the league which would be fantastic.

3 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Polster is a better defender than Tav? 

Defensively, from what I’ve seen of Polster I would say he just edges Tav. 

Going forward Polster isn’t even close. 

Would be great if we could get a player that can do both just as well. Although the fact the player could do both well would mean he wouldn’t be playing at our level. 

12 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Would be great if we could get a player that can do both just as well. Although the fact the player could do both well would mean he wouldn’t be playing at our level. 

Do you watch MLS?

Providing Morelos stays priority for me has to be a lb. don’t want to write Barasic off completely but if he can’t up his game to the standards we expect this season we need someone with real quality to take that position on, and even if Barasic does improve he needs competition.

I think we need another cb as cover, I’m happy with Katic and Goldson and Edmundson sounds promising but we need 4cbs. 

A young hungry striker would be my third signing, providing Morelos stays just someone who we can develop and use when needed throughout the season but happy with Defoe and Alfie they both offer different things and give Gerrard options depending on the opposition and how the games going. 

Apart from that I think we’re done and I’m confident. The taigs are a mess and could be losing some key players,  o matter how much they sell them for I think they’ll struggle to bring in the same quality. Assuming Kent comes back I genuinely belive this is the year we can stop them and win 55 🔴🔵

42 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

What have you seen?

A CB and a striker  (maybe 2 strikers if Morelos were to depart).   And maybe a midfield enforcer.

CB.   I'm not convinced we have enough quality, power and experience at CB (and maybe also in midfield).  The sort of powerful and experienced player that has a burning will to win approach to defending and who can galvanise the defence into a 'just keep it simple and get the job done' mode.  With the result of far fewer careless goals being given away.  A more effective form of defence leadership than Tav has shown so far.      It seemed to me we dropped far too many goals (and points)  through too many instances of slack defending.      Surely that has to be greatly reduced this coming season and so far the addition of Edmundson with Worral having gone does not look to me to be bring enough of that experienced will to win toughness in defence that would reduce the giveaway goals.

Midfield.  There is a lot of midfield talent in the squad and I guess some will transfer out and some will go on loan.   But do any of them really have enough leadership quality about them to really impose themselves on the opposition and on the rest of the team?  So that when games get to a point where an extra dimension of quality /leadership is needed to turn 1 point into 3 points that player provides the leadership.    Maybe that type of leadership player in midfield isn't needed if there is a powerful enough captain or CB who is a good enough 'persuader' in getting other players to lift their game when needed.

Striker (maybe 2).    Even if Morelos stays I'd not be too confident that he's learned enough of the disciplinary lesson to avoid the red cards and still thump in a barrowload of goals.    I just don't know if he will have reformed his way of playing.   If he hasn't then unless there is another quality striker along with Defoe it seems to me it'd be a bit of a risky throw of the dice for Gerrard and Allen to think they can have a trophy-winning season without adding another quality striker.   Besides which with Morelos in the side he is bound to be the immediate target of opposition players to provoke him and to try to get him sent off.   After this last season its as certain as certain gets that they'd take that approach...…...and that's before we get to the officials and the compliance officer getting stuck in to doing their 'leaning decisions against him' bit to get him out of games.     If Morelos goes then its not just one more quality striker that'd be needed, it could be 2.

I think we’re in great shape now assuming Aribo & Kent join up although I’d look at another CB for cover & a Left Back I think striker wise we’re good We have Morelos, Defoe, Rudden & Hardie the latter 2 have done a solid Job in the respective leagues and could certainly play a role if injuries & suspensions occur 

20 hours ago, Jeffrey said:

Left back(priority), centre back and striker

3 from Kamara, Jack, Davis and Aribo, Arfield, Kent is maybe good enough but if someone becomes available to play in one of those positions that would get 15+ goals I'd like us to go for them but only if it was someone who would make a real difference

I dont understand the 3 from those players part...

Arfield and Kent wont/shouldnt be competing for the same positions as the other 4 you have listed...

Just now, Del said:

I dont understand the 3 from those players part...

Arfield and Kent wont/shouldnt be competing for the same positions as the other 4 you have listed...

I've obviously worded it poorly. I meant 3 from the first 4 and then Kent and Arfield more advanced in the positions just off the striker.

6 hours ago, Smile said:

Strikers Morelos isnt bright enough to play another system and defoe will need a break.

This has got to be one of the most bizzare posts I've seen on here...

He isnt bright enough to play in a different formation or style of play???

How on earth have you came to that conclusion...