What else do we need?

GOAT

1 hour ago, voltago said:

Barisic has talent but my worry is he isn’t clicking with the rest of the team. So not sure if we should have another LB in place incase it doesn’t work out or see where we are in Jan window?

Was flying out on Sat same time as the team and everyone was going about in groups except Barisic who was wandering about himself.

Hopefully just reading into it too much and he’s fine.

I hope that he’s a player who thrives and gets more involved in the group now that his pal Grezda (who clearly isn’t interested) isn’t or won’t be around the club.

IIRC people at the club were worried about the negative influence Pena was having on Morelos and he thrived once Pena was out the picture.

It might be straw clutching, but hopefully we see the same thing happen again.

32 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I hope that he’s a player who thrives and gets more involved in the group now that his pal Grezda (who clearly isn’t interested) isn’t or isn’t be around the club.

IIRC people at the club were worried about the negative influence Pena was having on Morelos and he thrived once Pena was out the picture.

It might be straw clutching, but hopefully we see the same thing happen again.

Think you may be right in regards to Grezda. Could be why Gerrard has decided Borna is worth another chance.

Bit of time away with the group to gel and start again with a full pre season under his belt and hopefully we get the Barisic majority of us thought we were getting last season.

37 minutes ago, Sket said:

This is my worry.  Almost everyone to a man at the end of the season said we needed quality for this season if we were going to win the league. Now all of a sudden pretty much the same team as last year is good enough to win the league this year.

Nope.

Its always the same until a ball is actually kicked. I would think that until we get into the group stages no sizeable money will be spent on players.

Keep Tav and Morelos.

Sign Greg Taylor to provide competition at left back, and bring Kent back. Ideally albeit unrealistically permanently but on loan at least.

We'd then have as strong a first 11 and squad as theirs if not stronger, albeit this could change depending on who else they bring in and sell.

1 minute ago, eskbankloyal said:

Gerrard said in his RTV interview today there will be more players coming in 

Seen that earlier.

Off topic but Lennon has confirmed an interest in paddy mcnair. 

He's the same boy the republic tried to poach thinking his name meant he was one of them. But he's not and is a staunch young chap. Surely no chance hed go there?

2 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Seen that earlier.

Off topic but Lennon has confirmed an interest in paddy mcnair. 

He's the same boy the republic tried to poach thinking his name meant he was one of them. But he's not and is a staunch young chap. Surely no chance hed go there?

Mo Johnston, Scott Allan, Michael O’Halloran etc...

can never rule it out

F00A0906-A9CF-4AD6-98AA-933843969D8D.jpeg

Just now, eskbankloyal said:

Mo Johnston, Scott Allan, Michael O’Halloran etc...

can never rule it out

F00A0906-A9CF-4AD6-98AA-933843969D8D.jpeg

I get that mate. 

But was sure he was mentioned on here previous with us and someone said he was of the very good variety with regards his music choice 😉

12 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

I don't, I think it's fucking bizarre he thinks we have LB options and getting another good striker is dependent on our only real striker leaving considering Defoe isn't ours. 

Then there's the fact he seems to rate Polster based on about 10 minutes of a substitute appearance and our entire service to attack seems to again only be coming from Kent

We didn't win the league last year but Gogzy is more or less telling us that the same squad along with the average players we have brought in recently is enough to do it. 

LB we have Barasic and Halliday.  Barasic is going to come good IMO.  

Pretty sure I said if Morelos leaves we need two strikers, and if he stays we need one.

Pollster will be nothing more to backup for Tav, which is why we only need another RB if Tav leaves.

There's no point in just bringing in bodies for the sake of it.  We have brought Pollster in as a backup, we have two players for that position, do you really think splurging more cash on another RB, who mostly likely will see very little game time due to Tav being our starter, is a good idea?

Those "average players" we have brought in, may well turn out to be great.  Every single signing we make is considered average in some peoples eyes.

We have Arfield, Jones, Aribo, Candias, Stewart, and probably more offering attacking options, so no idea what your point about kent is.

10 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Those last 6, no pressure, glorified friendlies have went to peoples heads.

You think there was no pressure in those last 6 games?

I disagree.  I think the fans may well have turned on the team and management if we hadn't won the games we won at the end of the season.

1 minute ago, gogzy said:

Pretty sure I said if Morelos leaves we need two strikers, and if he stays we need one.

Pollster will be nothing more to backup for Tav, which is why we only need another RB if Tav leaves.

There's no point in just bringing in bodies for the sake of it.  We have brought Pollster in as a backup, we have two players for that position, do you really think splurging more cash on another RB, who mostly likely will see very little game time due to Tav being our starter, is a good idea?

Those "average players" we have brought in, may well turn out to be great.  Every single signing we make is considered average in some peoples eyes.

We have Arfield, Jones, Aribo, Candias, Stewart, and probably more offering attacking options, so no idea what your point about kent is.

Basically what you're telling me is your entire post is based on the hope that players turn out good 

Just now, .Williamson. said:

Basically what you're telling me is your entire post is based on the hope that players turn out good 

No, that isn't what I said at all :lol:

I expect Barasic to come good, he is the only player I even mentioned coming good, so not my entire post, only the LB position.

I think we have enough players for each position that we shouldn't be bringing in more just for the sake of it.

That being said, if a great opportunity comes up where we can cheaply improve one of the positions we already have, then I am not against it.

Or if we can shift some deadwood, and fee up some wages, then we can maybe bring in a "marquee signing" 

Another striker. Kent would be a bonus. 

Previously felt we needed another CB, but if I'm not mistaken McCrorie has played and done well there in the past. Could be a decent option, and will give him more gametime which he might struggle to get consistently just in midfield with our abundances in that area. 

28 minutes ago, gogzy said:

Flanagan will be ahead of Polster imo.

You take Arfield out of those five names and put that into a tarrier team and we're ripping the piss right out of it. Fair enough there's hype around Aribo and Ojo, but nobody has seen much if any at all of them. I know you never mentioned Ojo.

25 minutes ago, gogzy said:

I disagree.  I think the fans may well have turned on the team and management if we hadn't won the games we won at the end of the season.

Probably. The league was done, so there was no pressure really, but you're still expected to win and it's easier if there's less pressure, tarrier game aside.

8 hours ago, gogzy said:

The second half of the season,starting at Kilmarnock, was shocking.

The games after them at Parkhead were end of season, no pressure games.

A Hearts team with a cup final in mind, good win against them. Same failings against Aberdeen of struggling to score from open play, the Hibs game was beyond pish and the usual defeat at Killie.

See both sides of this discussion. I have not been bothered about Stewart, Hastie and Jones type signings, nothing to get excited about. Lets hope they surprise us all but on the other hand who else are we going to get in? Look how hard it was to bring in Aribo, and if the rumours of his wage are anywhere near accurate then we are busting the bank to bring in young, out of contract, prospects. What chance we have of bringing in the finished article? 

I am optimistic about the new season though and its not about the signings, its about the managers. I think Gerrard just has it and i think Lennon just doesn't have it. Armed with the players we have i think Gerrard has the beating of Lennon with the players he has.... that simple.... now, the window has a long way to run but i just don't see Lennon bringing in the quality they need and getting them to gel together 

I believe we will win the league but its going to be a tough season

We have improved our squad a lot in my opinion. not having to bring on pish like Lafferty and Grezda when we are chasing games but instead bringing guys like Stewart and Jones who are proven SPL players. Hastie was worth the punt. Aribo, Davis bolster our midfield options as well.

LB depends on how Gerrard rates Barisic imo.

Anyone with the exception of Kent and a 4th CB is dependant on outgoings for me. I'm more than happy to get rid of 2 bit part wingers and bring in one with more quality.

All in all I'm happy with our squad as it stands(assuming kent) and feel we would be going into the season very well prepared.

2 hours ago, Burts91 said:

We have improved our squad a lot in my opinion. not having to bring on pish like Lafferty and Grezda when we are chasing games but instead bringing guys like Stewart and Jones who are proven SPL players. Hastie was worth the punt. Aribo, Davis bolster our midfield options as well.

Anyone with the exception of Kent and a 4th CB is dependant on outgoings for me. I'm more than happy to get rid of 2 bit part wingers and bring in one with more quality.

All in all I'm happy with our squad as it stands(assuming kent) and feel we would be going into the season very well prepared.

What he said 👆🏻Also I really don’t see the need for another Striker Rudden & Hardie can more than do a solid job for us when Morelos & Defoe can’t play 

2 hours ago, Burts91 said:

Lafferty is more Proven in SPL than Jones and Stewart put together.

18 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Lafferty is more Proven in SPL than Jones and Stewart put together.

We’ve made a lot of sidewards steps IMO but a lot of people think it’s better business than it really is because the players coming in are shiny and new and don’t have the stink on them that some of the ones  they are replacing do.

Is Stewart (who I think will do a job) really an upgrade on Lafferty?

We’ve lost McAuley & Worral (who were both poor) but we’ve replaced them with an inexperienced centre half from Oldham who has to adapt after making a huge step up.

At this moment in time Jones is a complete downgrade on Kent.

Hastie is a long term project.

Of all of our signings (i’m not counting Davis because he was already here on loan) only Ojo & Aribo will come into the starting eleven and improve us so far. 

We have a lot of work still to do in this window but I fully expect it will slow down now until we move a few players on.