What else do we need?

GOAT

1 striker (2 if Morelos leaves) and a CB if we dont have a decent prospect in the youths that could make the step up if needed,

After the last few years it feels weird looking at out team and not thinking we desperately need new 1st choice players for numerous positions.

2 hours ago, GOAT said:

I’m going to assume Aribo and Kent will be Rangers players by end of August.  We still need IMO an attacking left back and for me another striker.  I’d also potentially try and find a young right back that can play second fiddle to Tav.  After that were done assuming we don’t lose anyone and I’d be very confident for the coming season.

still need to get rid of a few players aswell though. 

If and I believe he’ll be here, but if Morelos goes we need two strikers, and one who is big game ready to step up. 

Think Barasic will come good so not so concerned at left back, no clue as what the new CB is like but st 22 is like to see an older head signed at that position too. Other than that we’re not to far away 

4 hours ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Goalkeepers—Between McGregor, Foderingham, Alnwick, Firth & McCrorie we have it covered, I would loan McCrorie out as I believe in a couple of years he should take over from McGregor and he won’t gain much siting on our bench or with our reserves he needs game time to continue to develop. I could also see Foderingham being sold.

Right Back—Obviously if Tav stays he’s a guaranteed starter and we have Polster & Flanagan as a backup there isn’t anything that needs changed there. If Tav is sold (and I wouldn’t accept any bids less than £12m) then we obviously need to spend a few million on a young attacking right back.

Centre Back—I believe Katic & Goldson should be our starting pair with Edmundson as 3rd choice, we could then use McCrorie as 4th choice, there isn’t any point in getting another McAuley draining our wages as 4th choice CB. Obviously it depends on how Edmundson does as if he isn’t good enough we may need to sign another CB in January but for the moment I think what we have is enough.

Left Back—I think Gerrard intends to give Barisic another chance, he isn’t Croatia’s first choice Left Back for no reason and he looked excellent against us for Osijek so he clearly has talent. He might well turn his career with us around. I would however sign another Left Back to compete with him in case he doesn’t improve for us. Halliday can be 3rd choice at Left Back.

Centre Midfield—I think between Kamara, Arfield, Davis, Aribo, McCrorie, Jack, Rossiter, Docherty & Kelly we have it covered again. I wouldn't be against loaning out Rossiter & Docherty again , this time to a higher level for only 6 months to see how good they really are and if they impress again bring them back. I wouldn’t be against selling Ryan Jack if we received a decent offer as I just don’t think he’s as good as the others in CM something has to change from last season and he’s the least valuable of last seasons CM’s. Dorrans & Holt can hopefully be moved on.

Attacking Midfielders/Wingers—Kent, Ojo, Jones, Hastie, Middleton, Stewart, Candeias, Grezda, McPake & Arfield are a good set of options for those positions. I am still not convinced by Stewart or Jones so hopefully they are just backup players and same with Candeias he’s been a good servant for us but if we want to progress and start winning trophies he can’t be a starter for us. Ojo is an unknown quantity but hopefully he has a similar impact to Kent. Middleton is likely to go out on loan which will be good for his development hopefully next season he can push on and fight for a place in the first team. Hastie I would keep until January at least to see if he can fight his way into the team he’s a far better prospect than Jones or Stewart but if he’s not getting game time by January then loan him out as-well. McPake can hopefully make an impact from the bench this season maybe loan him out next season. Grezda needs moved on. So overall we shouldn’t need any more signings as long as we get Kent if anything we need to move a few on.

Strikers—Morelos, Defoe, Rudden, Lafferty, Hardie & Mebude. If we keep Morelos I honestly think we are fine up top, Lafferty & Hardie should be moved on now, and Rudden/Mebude should be given a chance as our 3rd and 4th choice strikers Rudden especially did everything he possibly could to impress as Falkirk so it’s time to start giving youth a chance. If we sell Morelos then obviously we will need a couple more signings upfront.

So in summary I think the only signing other than Kent/Aribo that needs to be made is a Left back to compete with Barisic. Unless we sell Tav/Morelos. What we do need to do however is start getting rid of some squad players.

Can hardly see and skimmed that with a mongo face bit good post 

4 hours ago, kanjo said:

Barisic. We won’t go a full season with Halliday as backup. 

For striker, we need a 3rd option with lafferty likely to go. 

Possibly a bit expensive as a 3rd choice striker (I reckon £2m) but Keiffer Moore at Barnsley could be a Lafferty replacement. A bit of a late developer but has come good in recent times and selected in the League 1 team of the year, despite missing a few months with a head injury. Tall, physical and a bit of pace about him. Just what is needed for games against the less footballing sides.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kieffer_Moore

37 minutes ago, Billy1984 said:

What’s Flanagan there for? He’s covered well on both sides.

I’d have Flanagan as tav’s backup along with Polster (who i assumed was brought in ad a central mid)

Just me though 🤷‍♂️😂

Kent and a CB.

Considering we only play one up front, don't see the point in getting some duffer that's willing to be 3rd choice striker. Be as well with a youngster/making do with a makeshift like Arfield as 3rd choice.

Aribo (nearly there) and Kent would be fantastic. I'd like us to sign a third striker particularly in the big target man mould (Hateley, Cousin). Obviously we wouldn't get that type of quality but we need another striker and strikers that can do different things.

Another centre back and another left back. I can see Barisic getting another 6 months before his last chance is gone. With all due respect to Halliday and Flanagan who have worked there arses off to get that full back place we might need someone with a bit more quality that they can give us. So LB is not crucial but maybe something for January.

Loads of posts about an extra CB and striker, which I agree with, but I think we need some genuine quality for RW\RM. We’ve got loads of wingers/midfielders but few of serious quality. 

I know diamonds (such as Morelos and Kamara) are hard to come by for little money. But I’d really have preferred to have taken only 1 from the trio of Hastie, Jones and Stewart and instead focused our efforts on spending a bit more cash on one serious player who could make a genuine difference.

And we’ve seriously got to shift the deadwood - we’re too bloated.