PC Gaming Build

DeanMK

On 17/07/2023 at 21:14, theblueoysterbar said:

Thought normal people run the cables behind their plasterboard mate.

Had a guy from Virgin up who was wanting to do that, told him I'd run the cables myself. Guy was obviously pleased that he wouldn't have to do his mad shit. There's houses in my street that have cables running over the house on the outside. Looks fucking awful imo.

Defo never had that of virgin before and they usually do a butcher job drilling holes with loads of loose cables left over.

I'm thinking of upgrading to the top tier VM broadband as it will be cheaper than my current deal as it stands in December.

Happy to leave as well and come back as a new customer this time.

Out of interest anyone here into SIM racing at all??

Building a PC, got a Ryzen 5600 CPU, B550 motherboard but no sure what GPU to get, torn between the RX6600, 6650xt, or wondering if its worth paying the extra 100 quid for an RX 6700xt. Any ideas? I just don't want to get an RX6600 then find out I'll have to upgrade it in a year or something.

4 minutes ago, lidorfc said:

Building a PC, got a Ryzen 5600 CPU, B550 motherboard but no sure what GPU to get, torn between the RX6600, 6650xt, or wondering if its worth paying the extra 100 quid for an RX 6700xt. Any ideas? I just don't want to get an RX6600 then find out I'll have to upgrade it in a year or something.

future proof would be looking for a motherboard with PCIE 5.0 ,could you stretch to a 6800XT ?The 16GB VRAM helps going forward,must be few going cheap for the £400 mark.

8 minutes ago, The Archer said:

future proof would be looking for a motherboard with PCIE 5.0 ,could you stretch to a 6800XT ?The 16GB VRAM helps going forward,must be few going cheap for the £400 mark.

I could but I don't really want the cost of the thing to spiral, started at a 500 quid budget, I'm now up at about 700-800, not including monitor, keyboard etc. How much better would a 5.0 PCIE motherboard with a 6800XT be compared to what I was considering?

1 minute ago, lidorfc said:

I could but I don't really want the cost of the thing to spiral, started at a 500 quid budget, I'm now up at about 700-800, not including monitor, keyboard etc. How much better would a 5.0 PCIE motherboard with a 6800XT be compared to what I was considering?

Your motherboard is PCIE 4.0 which is good at the moment,6800XT has ray tracing and a big jump from 6700 series,the Nvidia rtx4070 is the best in that class but your looking at a bit more for one of them.What resolution do you game at ?If you have a decent Tv the monitor isnt critical as you HDMI it from the graphics card. Im still stuck on a gtx1080 running at 4K on an LG OLED tv which is a bit of a stretch for the card really

38 minutes ago, lidorfc said:

Pretty much the same system I have. Although I went with an 6750. 

Does the job for me, although I only have a 60hz monitor so I'm bottlenecked by that. 

17 minutes ago, The Archer said:

Your motherboard is PCIE 4.0 which is good at the moment,6800XT has ray tracing and a big jump from 6700 series,the Nvidia rtx4070 is the best in that class but your looking at a bit more for one of them.What resolution do you game at ?If you have a decent Tv the monitor isnt critical as you HDMI it from the graphics card. Im still stuck on a gtx1080 running at 4K on an LG OLED tv which is a bit of a stretch for the card really

The box on the motherboard says PCIE 3.0, will that be an issue?  I will need a new monitor, that's why I'm not trying to push the boat out on the GPU, if I get a GPU capable of 4k then I'm having to buy 4k monitor otherwise what's the point? Then I might need to spend more on a motherboard, then fuck knows what else I need to spend more on 🤣 the cost just spirals.

Just now, lidorfc said:

The box on the motherboard says PCIE 3.0, will that be an issue?  I will need a new monitor, that's why I'm not trying to push the boat out on the GPU, if I get a GPU capable of 4k then I'm having to buy 4k monitor otherwise what's the point? Then I might need to spend more on a motherboard, then fuck knows what else I need to spend more on 🤣 the cost just spirals.

PCIE 3.0 is ok for the GPU its just newer versions have an increased bandwidth for data transfer that the newer cards can utilise.Keep what you have and get a 6800 card

19 minutes ago, The Archer said:

PCIE 3.0 is ok for the GPU its just newer versions have an increased bandwidth for data transfer that the newer cards can utilise.Keep what you have and get a 6800 card

Right, and should this system be able to handle unreal engine 5.2?

Nvm seems like it should be ok for unreal engine.

14 minutes ago, lidorfc said:

Right, and should this system be able to handle unreal engine 5.2?

Any Gpu AMD6000 series running 8GB or more is ok, windows 10 with 16GB memory or better 32GB .Your CPU clock speed I think is 3.5Ghz so that's easy powerful for Unreal 5 which needs a 2.5Ghz quad core minimum ( your CPU has 6 cores if Im correct )

10 minutes ago, The Archer said:

Any Gpu AMD6000 series running 8GB or more is ok, windows 10 with 16GB memory or better 32GB .Your CPU clock speed I think is 3.5Ghz so that's easy powerful for Unreal 5 which needs a 2.5Ghz quad core minimum ( your CPU has 6 cores if Im correct )

Cheers mate, I've got a good idea of what I'm buying now.

8 hours ago, lidorfc said:

Yeah that's pretty much perfect.

What sort of games are you going to be playing? And what resolution? That will help advise on specs.

Also re monitor, if you want to save cost get a 2nd hand one off gumtree or fb marketplace. I know from experience they're a pain to sell so they go super cheap.

9 hours ago, Somemightsay7 said:

Yeah that's pretty much perfect.

What sort of games are you going to be playing? And what resolution? That will help advise on specs.

Also re monitor, if you want to save cost get a 2nd hand one off gumtree or fb marketplace. I know from experience they're a pain to sell so they go super cheap.

Going to be playing games like RDR2. Ordered an RX6800 yesterday, so probably gaming at 1440p-4k.

Is there any downside do getting a higher wattage PSU? Was just about to order a Corsair RM750x as I figured I will probably upgrade the components as time goes by and might need more power. Didn't seem to be much difference price wise.

35 minutes ago, lidorfc said:

Going to be playing games like RDR2. Ordered an RX6800 yesterday, so probably gaming at 1440p-4k.

Is there any downside do getting a higher wattage PSU? Was just about to order a Corsair RM750x as I figured I will probably upgrade the components as time goes by and might need more power. Didn't seem to be much difference price wise.

No there's no downside to getting a higher wattage.

Just make sure you get one that is 80/85+ Gold.

White/Bronze are lower quality and a PSU isn't something you want to skimp on. The chances of it failing are low but if it does you're machine could be fucked. The 750x is good. I have the 850x.

4k on a 6800 is going to be a struggle unless you drop down the settings a fair bit. Most cards struggle with 4k without sacrificing quality, even things like the 4080 struggle with new games at 4k on the very highest settings. 1440p is a really good middle ground between quality and performance.

3 hours ago, Somemightsay7 said:

No there's no downside to getting a higher wattage.

Just make sure you get one that is 80/85+ Gold.

White/Bronze are lower quality and a PSU isn't something you want to skimp on. The chances of it failing are low but if it does you're machine could be fucked. The 750x is good. I have the 850x.

4k on a 6800 is going to be a struggle unless you drop down the settings a fair bit. Most cards struggle with 4k without sacrificing quality, even things like the 4080 struggle with new games at 4k on the very highest settings. 1440p is a really good middle ground between quality and performance.

Yeah tbh I'm not that fussed about gaming at 4k, I just read that it could play games at 4k. I'll probably go for the Corsair 750x. I'll have a look at 2nd hand monitors as well, are curved ones just novelty or are they actually decent?

4 hours ago, Somemightsay7 said:

White/Bronze are lower quality and a PSU isn't something you want to skimp on.

That’s quite the sweeping statement. One that’s actually not true. That ratings for maximum efficiency not build quality. There’s plenty of good quality bronze rated PSU’s and then there’s lots of terrible Gold rated ones.

Unless your system is particularly taxing energy wise a bronze PSU can actually be more cost effective with no loss of performance. 

4 hours ago, lidorfc said:

Better overrating your psu it does no hard. I have a 512GB SSD for windows,a 2TB SSD for steam and a 512GB SSD for other games and files etc that keeps it all separate and clean

11 minutes ago, lidorfc said:

Yeah tbh I'm not that fussed about gaming at 4k, I just read that it could play games at 4k. I'll probably go for the Corsair 750x. I'll have a look at 2nd hand monitors as well, are curved ones just novelty or are they actually decent?

EVGA make excellent PSU ,they were the king of GPU until they pulled out due to a pish relationship with NVIDIA

4 hours ago, lidorfc said:

You want a PSU that gives you head room. Total power usage of the system multiplied by 1.5 is always a good place to be.

Whilst a lot of PSU’s are happy running at +90% utilisation it lowers efficiency and increases your energy bills. It also generates more heat which forces your other components to work harder to keep cool. In most cases it’s negligible but still something worth avoiding.

As you said it’s always nice to have the additional power for any upgrades if required.

3 minutes ago, The Archer said:

EVGA make excellent PSU ,they were the king of GPU until they pulled out due to a pish relationship with NVIDIA

They do. But they also make some bad ones. Always worth checking out proper reviews for each individual model on a case by case basis.

Johnny Guru disappearing was a kicker.

15 minutes ago, The Archer said:

Better overrating your psu it does no hard. I have a 512GB SSD for windows,a 2TB SSD for steam and a 512GB SSD for other games and files etc that keeps it all separate and clean

Perhaps a dumb question, but do you have to swap out those ssds? I was planning on just getting a single 1tb ssd, I'm assuming that might be too little storage?

2 minutes ago, lidorfc said:

Perhaps a dumb question, but do you have to swap out those ssds? I was planning on just getting a single 1tb ssd, I'm assuming that might be too little storage?

Always better to keep your windows separate ,even a 250gb will be fine for windows and you could get a 1tb one for everything else just now

17 minutes ago, lidorfc said:

You can run multiple drives simultaneously, something I would strongly suggest doing. A single 1tb drive doesn’t go far in this day and age though, especially if you playing at 4k with the respective texture packs. 1 game can easily be over 200gb on its own.

You can make it work though, just know you’ll need to delete and re-download a lot. Whilst SSD’s are a lot more affordable people still use slow mechanical drives for storage, they just transfer the game files to the SSD when playing. Though with todays internet speeds sometimes just downloading the game is quicker depending on what’s available in your area.

10 minutes ago, The Archer said:

Always better to keep your windows separate ,even a 250gb will be fine for windows and you could get a 1tb one for everything else just now

I'll go for this defo. Bit of a learning curve building a PC 🤣

Any recommendations for cases?  I don't need one with fucking neon lights n shit just something functional 🤣 but there are a lot of options.