Right from kickoff

To Be A Ranger

we should be up for it. Trying to win every tackle, moving the ball quickly and fighting for everything to stay top of the league. Instead it was Hearts who were up for it. 

Too many Rangers players strolling around the pitch wanting time on the ball to pick out a pass. Well Hearts didn't give us time on the ball and we struggled. The midfield was awful and the less said about Tav the better. It seems some players just can't give us a midweek then weekend performance that we need. But there's no excuses for others like Tav,and  Ojo. 

Gerrard says he has 2 players for every position. So where are they?

There's even less of an excuse for not kicking on after getting back into the game with 50+ minutes of football to be played.

Hearts have won 2 home games in 90 minutes since April - Stenhousemuir and Inverness in cup games ffs. They are absolutely shocking. To create the square root of fuck all and get bullied off this mob is embarrassing.

That, s another mistake by Tav that cost us the 3 points How long does it take before they realise he CANNOT defend and his cross balls into the box was rotten yet again.Is he un droppable while Gerrard is picking the team.

Ojo what is he all about an utter waste of the shirt.

One shot on goal all game Mr Gerrard its time to wake up and smell the coffee cos we are not winning anything playing like this with no passion or drive which starts with the Captain

Really peed off with today,s attitude and performance

Pretty much every big game or in Europe we’ll take 10/15 to settle into the game 

We were just lucky Legia in both legs, Young Boys, Feyenoord etc didn’t capitalise on us being absolutely shit for that period as you can get yourself a decent advantage by getting at us before we’ve woken up as Hearts showed today 

Scum didn’t either but then Goldson handed them 3 points 

No one putting pressure on the player in possession only need one player to do this but it has to be done every time

If you do that he will more likely than not fuck up his pass and you can pick up  from there

I expected Hearts to be up for it what I didn't expect was our players to wilt under the pressure but have to say Aribo and Ojo hate when teams go at them and they revert to playing hide and seek on the pitch.

What's also odd is we at a time with little or no money pay 3 million quid for a defender who's not a first pick.

Just a wee question, is there a point as a manager after you put out your team, convey tactics, and try get them up for it then suddenly see nothing is going to plan that you feel powerless to change anything?

I was both weirdly pissed off/understanding of Gerrard sitting in the dugout not shouting at the players. I can imagine as a manager standing at the side of the pitch there's only so much you can change once the team are out and playing.  

Did Gerrard see how shockingly shite we were and decide there was nothing he could do to change it until half time?

8 minutes ago, Blueteeth said:

Just a wee question, is there a point as a manager after you put out your team, convey tactics, and try get them up for it then suddenly see nothing is going to plan that you feel powerless to change anything?

I was both weirdly pissed off/understanding of Gerrard sitting in the dugout not shouting at the players. I can imagine as a manager standing at the side of the pitch there's only so much you can change once the team are out and playing.  

Did Gerrard see how shockingly shite we were and decide there was nothing he could do to change it until half time?

Most Managers will say that as soon as the line is crossed they have no real influence on the players.

You can drill teams for various scenarios and you can make substitutions to change tactics etc but there’s little influence on how a player is playing individually.

Not sure if I totally believe that though. I mean one thing that sticks in my mind is the LC Final v St Mirren when we went down to 9 Walter was down from the stand and basically coached the team through the game screaming positional instructions.

11 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Most Managers will say that as soon as the line is crossed they have no real influence on the players.

You can drill teams for various scenarios and you can make substitutions to change tactics etc but there’s little influence on how a player is playing individually.

Not sure if I totally believe that though. I mean one thing that sticks in my mind is the LC Final v St Mirren when we went down to 9 Walter was down from the stand and basically coached the team through the game screaming positional instructions.

That was my thought towards the end of the Young Boys game; Walter would have been on the line making sure the game would not be lost. Yesterday Craigan mentioned Gerrard sitting slumped in the dug out waiting for the team to wake up and only when we scored did he get excited and started to get involved.

4 minutes ago, docspiderman said:

That was my thought towards the end of the Young Boys game; Walter would have been on the line making sure the game would not be lost. Yesterday Craigan mentioned Gerrard sitting slumped in the dug out waiting for the team to wake up and only when we scored did he get excited and started to get involved.

So how much do the players look back at the manager do you think? Could him sitting there be another tactic  - eg him trying to convey how pissed off he is so far with the game? Or do players not really look to the dugout unless they're screamed at?

Played some football myself, but never pro so I don't really know.

1 minute ago, Blueteeth said:

So how much do the players look back at the manager do you think? Could him sitting there be another tactic  - eg him trying to convey how pissed off he is so far with the game? Or do players not really look to the dugout unless they're screamed at?

Played some football myself, but never pro so I don't really know.

My guess, as a punter, is that players playing poorly try to ignore the dugout and rubber ear any criticism. I used to watch when Walter came down from the stand when things were not going well and he certainly got the players attention.

If the players look to the technical area and see the gaffer displaying motivational signs the they are likely to be motivated and react accordingly.

SG doesn't seem to be quite as enthusiastic these days IMO .

Archived