Well done

magic8ball

I know it's now frowned upon to mention about where we were etc. But that result and performance was superb, 

In years passed better funded sides have went to lesser sides than Porto and been humbled, this group of players assembled on European terms as pennies did superb and we're the better team for most of the match. 

A lot of well respected posters on here got stuck into the team undeservedly after Sunday, now I'm not having a pop but better funded Rangers sides have played worse than we had on Sunday, we should be proud of this team. 

Look at the bench, what a bench for a squad funded on no more than the cost of an average EPL full back 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Other than a few moments of madness in Moscow last year and Switzerland a few weeks ago we have been superb in Europe.

Agreed, cast your mind back to the run to Manchester where we we getting great results but relied on great organisation and tried to nick a goal. 

We are now playing on the front foot and in most cases the better team, 

1 minute ago, magic8ball said:

Agreed, cast your mind back to the run to Manchester where we we getting great results but relied on great organisation and tried to nick a goal. 

but before last night some posters said we play too defensive. I don't think Gerrard has a defensive bone in his body at least he didn't as a player.

10 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

Champions league teams are playing in the Champions League this year, 

Porto played in the Champions League this year. They got to the Quarter finals

22 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

Champions league teams are playing in the Champions League this year, 

They are a champions league club, to say otherwise is splitting hairs....I'm sure I heard last night  that they have been in 24/28 champions league campaigns...some achievement especially as they were in 2 UEFA cup finals in 2 of the 4 the didn't make

29 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

They are a champions league club, to say otherwise is splitting hairs....I'm sure I heard last night  that they have been in 24/28 champions league campaigns...some achievement especially as they were in 2 UEFA cup finals in 2 of the 4 the didn't make

Not this season they aren't. And it isn't splitting hairs at all, it's a matter of fact. They are a Europa league team, just like us. 

38 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

This.

Porto have been one of the most consistent Champions League qualifiers for the past 3 decades, achieving great success, and of course Portugal are the current European Champions. 

In my opinion, the most impressive outside the big 10 or so mega rich clubs of Europe (and perhaps Ajax).

Would be a very notable scalp if we can beat them at Ibrox. 

I agree.  A lot of people questioned bottle on Sunday and maybe it was the frustration with dropping two points which is totally understandable.... but our European performances over the past 18 months should tell us that bottle is not the issue, especially now that we have guys like Tav and Jack who have been here long enough to have more experience.

Sunday was, and I will always believe it to be, a bad day at the office where we simply did not turn up.

I hope last night gives everyone the spark back which we may have lost from Sunday.

4 minutes ago, tannerall said:

This.

Porto have been one of the most consistent Champions League qualifiers for the past 3 decades, achieving great success, and of course Portugal are the current European Champions. 

In my opinion, the most impressive outside the big 10 of Europe (and perhaps Ajax).

Would be a very notable scalp if we can beat them at Ibrox. 

Spot on with this post Tannerall ........ welcome back to the forum mate. You have been missed.

23 minutes ago, KBOO72 said:

Not this season they aren't. And it isn't splitting hairs at all, it's a matter of fact. They are a Europa league team, just like us. 

Yip you are 100% correct for this season , but you know my point stands as they are a club who generally play in the group stages and normally make the ko round....its almost like you would rather belittle the result rather than seeing it as an excellent performance against one of Europes more consistent performers 

1 hour ago, magic8ball said:

Agreed. We were the well drilled team under walter smith that could play as a great hard working team and grind results.

Now we have pace and we chase the ball down. I loved the years walter gave me but this current type of football.will always be preferred.

As long as we win something though ! 

Although those walter years in his second stint. Lisbon away , allan mcgregors save onto the bar again bremen I think ? I remember diego was a class act that year for them.

Then novo firing.the winning penalty against fiorentina. Walter made us sweat then cry with joy that manchester run.

19 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Yip you are 100% correct for this season , but you know my point stands as they are a club who generally play in the group stages and normally make the ko round....its almost like you would rather belittle the result rather than seeing it as an excellent performance against one of Europes more consistent performers 

I'm not belittling anything. I'm certainly not talking up the result either though as many seem to be doing. We had an excellent performance and a very good result against a top quality Europa League side. Nothing more, nothing less. 

8 minutes ago, KBOO72 said:

No, Champions league teams are currently playing in the Champions league. 

Are you being this stupid on purpose?

Porto have been in champions league 22 out of 24 seasons or something close to that and to say they’ve aren’t a ‘champions league’ team or champions league credentials is well just idiotic.

3 minutes ago, Laudrup1690 said:

Porto have been in champions league 22 out of 24 seasons or something close to that and to say they’ve aren’t a ‘champions league’ team or champions league credentials is well just idiotic.

I've given up m8.....especially the bit about them being a europa league team....by his logic we were a Scottish 3rd division club in 2013....worth the watching this one I feel

23 minutes ago, Laudrup1690 said:

But they're not in the Champions league this season are they? 

Archived