Best Ever Rangers 11

Spencer65

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Wullies_bowly_legs said:

Just realise how much some of the younger bears have missed with regards to the great players we have had at the club like Caldow, Greig, Baxter, Forrest, Henderson etc.

Same with me as regards the famous Iron Curtain in the 40s- 50’s As I still remember my old man going on about them.

The Iron Curtain was the defensive line of Rangers F.C. during the late 1940s and early 1950s. The normal line-up in the early 1950s consisted of goalkeeper Bobby Brown, full backs George Young and Jock Shaw, centre half Willie Woodburn and wing halves Ian McColl and Sammy Cox. Would have loved to have seen them play.💙

Me too, I only got to see George Young and Ian McColl play, sat beside Willie Woodburn on my very first game at Ibrox. The line up was   Niven, Shearer, Caldow, McColl, Young and Davis, Scott, Simpson, Murray, Baird and Hubbard

14 hours ago, Wullies_bowly_legs said:

Great description of Jim Forrest. The man was an absolute flyer and could give centre halves a 5 yard start and still leave them in his wake. He scored 145 goals in 163 games!!!
Treated shamefully by Scot Symon when he was blamed for the Berwick cup defeat. This was made even worse when Symon refused to play him in the Cup Winners Cup Final and played a centre half, Roger Hynd, up front instead. We lost 1-0 when we had beaten some great teams on the way through.

Jim Forrest left the club in February 1967, one of the worst decisions in our history, without a doubt. It was his cousin, Alec Willoughby who was inexplicaby left out of the starting line by Symon after having a great run of goalscoring form,  Willoughby was a cracking player who, imo, never got the full recognition he deserved from the club.

Goram

Jardine    Gough    Weir     Greig

Gazza    B Ferguson   Baxter 

Laudrup   McCoist   Cooper

Manager = Sir Walter Smith :bow:  

Subs = Albertz, McCall,  Prso, Amo and Barasic :love:   for when Greig tires in the second half :pipe: 

22 hours ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Everybody’s missed out this man, would be the first name on my list to build the team around.

D5267C40-32A1-4FD8-A269-4BC2E6DED530.thumb.jpeg.35c68240fd795800714cfafb4cc223bc.jpeg

A midfield of Gascoigne,Souness,Wilkins and Albertz would be very hard to beat imo.

1 hour ago, DiamondDan said:

How can you say Barry Ferguson was a better player than Giovanni Van Bronkhorst?? 

One went to arsenal and Barcelona. The other came back up the road from Blackburn with his tail between his legs!

One captained Rangers to a treble and European final and the other never.

Bit harsh, he was good for Blackburn and got a bad injury, plus took Birmingham to their best season in god knows how long 😂

9 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

One captained Rangers to a treble and European final and the other never.

Bit harsh, he was good for Blackburn and got a bad injury, plus took Birmingham to their best season in god knows how long 😂

And as good as Gio was he was shifted to left back for the rest of his career not too long after he left us.

Archived