Docherty

GOAT

Just now, Junior Soprano said:

I agree to a certain extent. But arfield has been good since he’s sorted his betting shit out.

I remember the first time I seen docherty a couple of seasons ago, I said he’s the best box to box since Stuart McCall. He really deserves a chance.

First part would be just our luck (pardon the pun) as he was on fire towards the end of last season and looked as though he was going to be a big player for us this term but then hasn't done it. 

Completely agree regarding Docherty, there's no point in buying young players with potential who can play in this league only to not give them a chance, Hastie is another though admittedly he's got no chance with Kent and Hagi now here. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

We really did buy the wrong youngster from Hamilton and I’ll not shut up about it until we sign Ferguson 🙂 

In fairness he was probably the better option at that point. 
the fact the other option has not kicked a ball for ages doesn’t help his cause but he’s no doubt a decent player 

16 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

First part would be just our luck (pardon the pun) as he was on fire towards the end of last season and looked as though he was going to be a big player for us this term but then hasn't done it. 

Completely agree regarding Docherty, there's no point in buying young players with potential who can play in this league only to not give them a chance, Hastie is another though admittedly he's got no chance with Kent and Hagi now here. 

I have no doubt Arfield was looking out of sorts predominantly from being played as a winger. He’s never been that type of player and his regain of form is clearly from being played in a position that suits him. Still got a major part to play for us. 

1 hour ago, 1690tamRFC said:

Edmundson was great on Wednesday night but he was a bit all over the place against Hamilton away, his passing that day was horrific and it was his wayward 5 yard pass to barisic that lead to his injury. Not against him though as he is young with limited chances and looked solid enough defensively, but Katic has mostly been the same over a longer period. Has admittedly been dog shit last few outings though. 

Dick Advocaat always said ‘if you play well you keep your jersey’.  What better way to motivate players than to tell them that.  Edmundson put in a terrific performance against Braga and I hope he keeps his jersey against Hearts.  

1 hour ago, hammer93 said:

You said Hibs would buy him for a million the other night🤔

Docherty is performing very well for them.  I think Hibs would happily pay £1m for him, don't you?  He's worth at least that.

For what it's worth, I don't think Docherty would want to stay with them next season.  If Rangers decide there's no future for him here I think he'll head down South.

31 minutes ago, 1690tamRFC said:

In fairness he was probably the better option at that point. 
the fact the other option has not kicked a ball for ages doesn’t help his cause but he’s no doubt a decent player 

Canny even remember hearing about Ferguson when we signed Docherty in all honesty mate 😂😂

Arfield has been fucked from having no proper break over the summer, went from the end of our season straight onto international duty, then had about a week off then joined pre season halfway through. Should just quit international football due to the travelling involved, can’t see them achieving much with or without him 

3 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Playing devils advocate here but which one of our midfielders gets the same time on the ball to do that?

If that’s us against Kilmarnock that player is crowded out before he even has time to think about a shot.

That’s why playing for us is a totally different ball game to playing for a Hibs, Hearts or whoever else and why so many have failed to make that step up.

Good point. I still think he has something different though, even energy and legs in midfield. Seems a bit fearless too.

2 hours ago, HG5 said:

Plenty of others who are as erratic as fuck getting the nod, or rotated in and out, ahead of him.

Some people seem to be given more of a chance than others.

Huge problem under Gerrard. It's the English premiership way of if a player doesnt settle in the first 3 months they arw never seen again.

1 hour ago, TMB said:

Docherty is performing very well for them.  I think Hibs would happily pay £1m for him, don't you?  He's worth at least that.

For what it's worth, I don't think Docherty would want to stay with them next season.  If Rangers decide there's no future for him here I think he'll head down South.

Agree with you here. We had some unhappy members (understandingly) re the fact we were loaning first Middleton then Docherty to Hib's, however this is exactly what’s needed (experience playing first team football in this league) to hopefully progress and develop. Middleton occasionally showed on loan however Docherty (as per his time at Shrewsbury) imo is playing well and getting better, Doing this also strengthens them against other league opponents and weakens them playing us, a fact that has been helping celtic with their players out on loan for some time. Personally I’d like to keep Docherty on the books for another season to see if he can step up and break in to our squad...

I don't see a decision over Docherty and a few others being taken before the pre season training camp. That is when Gerrard and his team will make their minds up.

it's a slow process but with each passing window the quality of the squad rises and with Halliday, Flanagan, Foderingham, Holt and a few others out of contract this summer there will be gaps to be filled.

Unfortunately for Doc I can see us investing in the middle of the park in the summer. Really hope he keeps it up at Hivs though and gets himself in the team when he comes back. There's definitely a player there. 

8 hours ago, TMB said:

No. You'd be lucky if Hibs would be willing to pay half of that

9 hours ago, 1690tamRFC said:

I have no doubt Arfield was looking out of sorts predominantly from being played as a winger. He’s never been that type of player and his regain of form is clearly from being played in a position that suits him. Still got a major part to play for us. 

Arfield spent much of his career playing out wide for Falkirk, Huddersfield and Burnley 

I like Doc. Seems to have a great attitude and work ethic however as he has been unable to force his way into the squad on a regular basis I can't see him doing so next season. We are trying to gradually improve the quality of the first team so in imo guys like Davis, Arfield and Kamara should be taking up more of the squad positions next season with better players bought to start in the first eleven hopefully.

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

No. You'd be lucky if Hibs would be willing to pay half of that

Docherty looks like one of their best players at the minute.  They’ll be eager to keep him in the summer.  Don’t they still have the McGinn money?  Surely they can afford a £1m fee.

2 hours ago, TMB said:

Docherty looks like one of their best players at the minute.  They’ll be eager to keep him in the summer.  Don’t they still have the McGinn money?  Surely they can afford a £1m fee.

When was the last time a Scottish club outwith the Old Firm spent more than a million quid on a player? 

Archived