Smile

If Gerrard left would you be  

247 members have voted

1. 1. If Gerrard left would you be

• Relieved
    • disappointed
    • Happy
    • He's took us as far as I think he can
    • I do not want him to leave, state why in thread. Optional.

55 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Fair point even if it lifts the burden from him a wee bit considering he wanted those players that have failed him

He wanted Longstaff and Vydra though too who you'd expect would have undoubtedly been upgrades on what we've got.

For me, we're a few players of about that level of quality short to compete on all fronts and get over the line when it comes to winning the league.

Morelos' form has been terrible but you simply can't drop him if he's available because the gap in quality between him and anyone else is fucking massive. The same goes for our full backs and a few other key positions. 

The scum have a stronger squad because they've spent far more money on the back of already having a far stronger squad than us when Gerrard came in and can therefore rotate and leave players out.

To me it just dispels this he's taken us as far as he can thing as a complete myth. Improve the quality of the squad again, and significantly, and we'll be in a good place.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m happy for him to get next season.  He’ll learn a lot about his team from this collapse.  I think he’ll sort this squad and we’ll be back a much better team.  

Replacing the manager is just as likely to set us back, than help up progress IMO.  The signs of a good manager are there.  

4 hours ago, Nk89 said:

Dont get this "take us any further" thing! 

How much further do you expect him to take us?

We need to work out a way of beating 3 or 4 SPL teams! And then we are alot further than we thought we could ever be at this stage surely?

I expect him to take us to a title, fuck even a trophy would do !

we need to work out a way of beating every team in the SPL consistently except the tims who will probably come to Ibrox and skelp us on current form, after the winter break I expected us to at least be in the mix still not sitting at the start of March with our season in tatters yet again, If Gerrard stays I see us being in this exact same position next year.

I'm sticking with him .

Two seasons ago we were getting pumped 4-0 and 5-0 to c....c  and , getting put out of Europe by a part time team from Luxembourg .

Now , weve often outplayed them on a head to head basis , we're punching above our weight in Europe against some CL level clubs , should have won our first trophy , and until recently had a very real chance of winning a league against a team with far better financial resources than we have . 

That to me is real progress , and though the wheels have come off these last couple of months , im not prepared to throw it away just yet . Had Pep Guardiola been sitting in the wings to take over I might , but hes not , and the chances are it would be some average Joe that would take up the reigns . And that's what you call a gamble, going by our previous 4/5 managers.  

Sure it's not perfect,  but this was never going to be a quick fix . I think we all realise we need harder types of players suited to scottish football and I thought it reassuring that in SGs last interview he seemed to acknowledge that . 

Now that he knows who's got the bottle for a battle , I'd give him next season ,  another transfer window to implement those changes , and take it from there.  

I think he will be a great manager some day. We just need to ask ourselves if we want to keep backing him until he learns and gets more experience.

If we get rid of him now then we'll be worse off. Can't think of anyone to bring in. Either way a new manager or not we need a big clear out in summer.

The players are mostly to blame. Get them all to fuck and bring in players who actually want to play for the club and not just for the money.

11 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

Rome wasn't built in a day. A few bad results and there is a queue for the Erskine Bridge!

Fuck - did I just say Rome? 🍊🍊🍊🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

Rome was built Pre Vatican era ,Built by Romans not the cult 😜 So no need to feel bad mate 

2months ago being was the best thing since sliced bread ,I can’t believe the way things have went from the turn of the year ,If somebody was to sit on New Year’s Day and tell you what was about to happen you would have laughed in their face ,The way the form collapsed and the turning on the team and manager from the fanbase would be hard to believe ,

Reading most threads on here in the last few weeks you would think that most want rid ,This thread shows a bit more realism from the fan base 

One or 2 need to go in the summer that’s for sure ,Top of the list is Tav ,nothing much against the guy but he was never real captain material and got the job purely on circumstances ,Get a few quid in for him and use the money to strengthen, 

If 

he stopped picking his favourites regardless of what they do,

replaced the captaincy,

sold at least 5 of the starting 11, 

showed some sort of tactical flexibility against this “low block” pish, which is essentially extremely defensive sides,

then maybe another crack at it. 

Problem is he’ll probably not even do 1 out of the 4 things I mentioned so wouldn’t bother me if he went. 

1 hour ago, DiamondDan said:

I dont think we have a squad that can win in Scotland, we have an 11 that could win but dont have the depth to replace out of form or Injured players with sufficient quality to sustain a title challenge.

Rubbish

Mcgregor, tav, goldson, helander, barisic

Davis, jack, aribo

Hagi, morelos, kent

Thats probably gerrards ideal starting 11

Bench we have 

Foderingham, Polster, flanagan, katic, edmunson, halliday, kamara, aribo, arfield, jones, defoe, kamberi, barker, ojo

Out on loan we have

Middleton, hastie, mccrorie, Docherty, murphy

Thats 30 players, arguably 25 of them are better than any player in the same position for the opponents bar the tarriers, 

Our starting 11 is good enough to beat the tarriers plus a couple of our subs

We have the squad, he just isnt using it right

No doubting the fact that we are much improved under Gerrard. The same players who were beating (with some ease) the hammer throwers in Scotland before Xmas are now meekly surrendering. Frankly I would sell as many as we get decent offers for in the summer.

Why have we stopped the high press ? What happened to playing with real pace and drive ? Players or tactics ? Hard to fathom that one out.

I expect nothing from the weekend game at Ross County but will not be surprised if we beat Leverkusen and scum in the following games. We have recruited talented players but the attitude of many is suspect. Far too often it is the sideways or backward pass simply to keep possession and that spells fear. 

Count me among those who want Gerrard to have another season. We can beat decent European sides and no longer fear the scum. That's 2 big pluses.

The amount of excuses on here about budget, players etc all cause they still want gerrard at the helm is mad.

With the players the 'manager' has at his disposal he should be steamrolling St Johnstone, Hamilton Accies, Hearts, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen. 

We all sat hear last year after a momentus colapse and said gave him this year but said he needed a trophy. We now sit here  tropheyless, where he has repeated the same shit that fucked us last year and now people want to give him another year?!

Doing something over and over again but expecting the results to be different is the definition of insanity.

433 does not work against 11 man defenses, he need to figure that out. Get a tall striker who can head the ball and someone who can hit the bye line and cross it to him and the low block/11 man defense will get broken. 

56 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

Aye you've agreed with me, we have the team to beat celtic on our day. However, they have a better overall squad that us. So over the course of a season the team with the best squad will drop the least points and win the league.

So what if they have the better squad, our squad is still massively good enough to beat the rest of scottish football

So if morelos is suspended, kamberi and defoe are more than good enough, we have better centre halves than hamilton, better keeper than anyone

Our squad depth isnt the problem, just how gerrard uses it

8 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

So what if they have the better squad, our squad is still massively good enough to beat the rest of scottish football

Yes. That’s why we’re 19 points ahead of 3rd place but 13 behind the taigs. 

He hasn't been able to turn things around in the last 5 or 6 games.  Hamilton at home after the previous games should have been a godsend to him and resulted in a big win.  The fact he couldn't deliver makes me think he hasn't got it.

Also understand he is short odds to return to Liverpool as manager of the U23's

2 hours ago, OhW said:

Yes. That’s why we’re 19 points ahead of 3rd place but 13 behind the taigs. 

But that wasnt the original point i was debating, someone said we dont have the strength in depth to do a title challenge, i listed 30 players and about 25 of them are good enough if used correctly, we just don't 

2 hours ago, OhW said:

No it isn’t. 

I'll take Einstein's word on it iver yours.

But hey  if youre happy for Gerrard to keep doing what he is doing and keep failing the same way then enjoy watching them pick up at least 10.

Archived