The coronavirus and the sfa

MacBoyd

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sturgeon/SFA must have known this?

Football authorities in England and Europe are braced for a total shutdown of the game until at least September, amid fears that scores of clubs could go out of business and the sport could be sent into meltdown.

It’s understood the Covid-19 outbreak reached such a point of crisis for the sport on Thursday that the leading English bodies received a call direct from the COBRA meeting, where there was an admission the situation on full attendances at stadiums may have been misread.

All games in England’s Premier League, English Football League, Women’s Super League and Women’s Championship were on Friday morning postponed until April 4 but a source close to discussions told The Independent that the “idea we are going to be playing by then is ludicrous.”

League competition is scheduled to resume after the international break on that date but the chances of that happening are tiny, and the date is seen by some sources as a mere time-buying exercise.

Uefa are due to meet on Tuesday with 55 member associations, the boards of the European Club Association and the European Leagues and a representative of FIFPro to work out a strategy for moving forward. It is expected that European football’s governing body will postpone the summer’s European championships, suspend the Champions League and propose a continent-wide shutdown of the sport.

Administrators of the game in England had spent the past week following government direction and, as late as Thursday, planned to continue as normal at least until next weekend. Things began to change that afternoon when Whitehall officials contacted the football authorities direct from a COBRA meeting called to coordinate the government response to the crisis. At that point the planners in London were beginning to wonder whether the advice to carry on was misguided. There were concerns from Scotland that the approach was a mistake.  

A conference call with the FA hours later still aimed for what was referred to as a “measured” response but Mikel Arteta’s positive test for the virus tipped the balance towards Friday’s decision to suspend matches. The Premier League wanted to continue behind closed doors but the number of players being tested for Covid-19 meant that this was unfeasible.

The decision throws up a number of questions. There are a minority of clubs keen to declare the season null and void and start again after the summer. Figures involved in the talks suggested that this is “unlikely” but creating a framework that will satisfy all the parties involved will be difficult. There is no blueprint or procedure in place to deal with the situation caused by this huge global health scare. The three options appear to be finishing the campaign whenever play resumes, even if it overlaps into next season’s calendar; ending the league in May, even if no more matches take place with trophies, promotion and relegation going to the teams in those positions now; or writing off the entire campaign. The second and third alternatives would likely generate numerous legal challenges.

The clubs are largely in agreement with Friday’s decision but pressure will begin to mount in the coming week as the enormity of the situation begins to unfold. Income streams will dry up but wages still need to be paid. Most Premier League clubs can survive a prolonged layoff but many EFL teams will become vulnerable in the coming weeks.

Many sources fear that scores of lower-league clubs could go out of business without regular matchday income, which makes up a much higher percentage of their revenues. This is one reason why the EFL were said to be particularly intent on finishing the season, for the welfare of their clubs.

Such a situation could see the Premier League come under pressure to offer financial assistance, but the top-division clubs could have additional problems.

Players whose contracts expire in June are placed in a difficult situation, and dealing with the transfer window becomes a much more complex issue.

Uefa are in a position to take the initiative and impose a uniform programme across the European leagues and Tuesday’s meeting will be crucial in mapping out the immediate future. 

This is also why Tuesday’s Uefa videoconference is crucial. The fate of the 2019-20 season – and issues like whether Liverpool are declared champions – is almost entirely dependent on whether the governing body decide to annul this Champions League season or merely postpone it.

If postponed, it gives all domestic competitions breathing space to try and complete their own seasons, as all would fall under that umbrella campaign. If annulled, it would mean all issues have to be decided before the planned start of the 2020-21 Champions League, which could create some tough decisions about league placings.

Respite appears to be a long way off, however. Some medical projections suggest that the virus may not spike until midsummer. That would leave football struggling with a huge number of questions and very few answers.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/coronavirus-news-premier-league-champions-europa-cobra-meeting-a9401466.html

7 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Kevin's and English are weirdly against it 

I thought English argument was that the remaining games should be played even if it meant next season was impacted. He suggests talk of them being crowned is nonsense on that basis.

Keevins doesnt know what day of the week it is. 😁

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

Do you think they'd have massively different opinions on it? 

Probably not but the statements are almost identical, there is always the chance one of them should have taken the 'not the right time to talk about it' stance which would gave been the right thing to do. They could easily have taken a different route to answer but no they chose to go down the 'we should the champions' route.

This will not be the last you hear the same answer from them over the weekend. It's what they do.

I don't have a problem with them being handed the title but thats not the point, if the game was actually played this weekend and we won it, there would have been hope!

they can get to fuck, how many tainted titles do they actually want? cause i tell you right now if we were their position NO fuckin way would they let us take it and yer usual media lapdog cunts would be telling you how unfair it was...FUCK THEM, deserve fuck all

10 minutes ago, sRcFoCt said:

I see the taig cheerleader sutton is saying that the taigs should get the league and hearts must be relegated must have got his email yesterday from them to push the narrative.

This goes beyond even the influence (unhealthy as it is) celtic possess in the Scottish game, I think there will be a unified football response which the SFA will be anxious to hide behind...

2 minutes ago, Alendrin said:

I don't have a problem with them being handed the title but thats not the point, if the game was actually played this weekend and we won it, there would have been hope!

they can get to fuck, how many tainted titles do they actually want? cause i tell you right now if we were their position NO fuckin way would they let us take it and yer usual media lapdog cunts would be telling you how unfair it was...FUCK THEM, deserve fuck all

It is the point. It's the critical point. 

It's not in the rules they're entitled to it, it's not reasonable in terms of sporting integrity. Any bear not having a problem with them being handed it needs to have a good hard look at themselves.

From the remainder of your post you seem very much opposed to it, the first part just doesnt sit well with me.

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

It is the point. It's the critical point. 

It's not in the rules they're entitled to it, it's not reasonable in terms of sporting integrity. Any bear not having a problem with them being handed it needs to have a good hard look at themselves.

From the remainder of your post you seem very much opposed to it, the first part just doesnt sit well with me.

cause i think deep down, we lost hope but at the same time bigger turnarounds have happened in sport so they should not get it, already had brown, lennon greeting but not one journalist seeing it from the other perspective...what a surprise eh!

2 minutes ago, Alendrin said:

cause i think deep down, we lost hope but at the same time bigger turnarounds have happened in sport so they should not get it, already had brown, lennon greeting but not one journalist seeing it from the other perspective...what a surprise eh!

Tbf Hugh Keevens put his head above the parapet for a change last night on SSB and although he bizarrely defended Lennon, stated that the title cannot be awarded if it’s not mathematically secure...

7 hours ago, dummiesoot said:

Tbh, @thedude is a blue nose, problem is imo, his desire to be seen as balanced outweighs perspective. His defence of Lennon tonight is beyond comprehension, it is clear this follows the slit eyes pattern of having all celtic parties sing very much from the same hymn sheet, it is indefensible.

And one of the reasons I never even bother reading his posts 

He is born as someone that just wants to be different all the time.Antagonise people . One of many on here  that never accepts he could be wrong .

Only recently watched him on his podcast .He even looks as I would imagine .A man that would have his head tilting from the side to side position every time in disagreement .Never in the up and down position of agreement .He is just too uncomfortable doing this 

31 minutes ago, sRcFoCt said:

I see the taig cheerleader sutton is saying that the taigs should get the league and hearts must be relegated must have got his email yesterday from them to push the narrative.

Incredible how the bheasts work .They are truly gutted yet I feel they will be staying that way .No matter what garbage they spout 

We've destroyed them last two games. We would've done likewise in next two games.

What's more likely is, we would've lost our game in hand, but if we had won that...

That leaves 6 games to overturn a 4-point deficit.  And THAT is the reason whey they won't get the title.  It's absolutely still winnable by us.

It will never happen, but I'd love to see a 'behind-closed-doors' one-off, winner-takes-all, play-off match to decide the winners.

Just read TLB argument in favour of them being awarded the title if the season doesn't get resumed. His view is they deserve it based on average points per game.

If anyone could direct me to the rulebook section detailing where winners / relegated losers are determined by average points per game I'd appreciate it. 😁

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Just read TLB argument in favour of them being awarded the title if the season doesn't get resumed. His view is they deserve it based on average points per game.

If anyone could direct me to the rulebook section detailing where winners / relegated losers are determined by average points per game I'd appreciate it. 😁

They are desperately making it up as they go along 

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

They are desperately making it up as they go along 

Absolutely.

If there were rules in place to justify them being crowned champions without 38 games needing to be played then the spfl would likely have highlighted them, as most certainty would the media, and undoubtedly scum fans. 

Because there's no such rule, that club and its cheer leaders are having a scattergun approach to justifying it and hoping something will stick.

At first I wasn’t too bothered if they were to be handed the title, the way I seen it was we had fucked it and although mathematically we could still catch them the chances of us winning every game between now and the end of the season with the form we are in is almost zero, I was already resigned to the fact they would be champions regardless but see after the way the twisted sick morally defunct perverts have acted the last two days my mind has changed give them fuck all and fight it all the way.

The club like no other deserve fuck all. 

3 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Absolutely.

If there were rules in place to justify them being crowned champions without 38 games needing to be played then the spfl would likely have highlighted them, as most certainty would the media, and undoubtedly scum fans. 

Because there's no such rule, that club and its cheer leaders are having a scattergun approach to justifying it and hoping something will stick.

But yet some cunts on here are trying to prove it so they ARE handed the title.

10 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

Amazingly alot of their fans don't want it like this.  I'm sure they will  be brainwashed by lawell soon but there you are.

They won't be winning fuck all either way though.

Yeh, was refreshing to hear a couple of sensible callers on SSB re this last night as opposed to the usual standard of idiot that dominate proceedings...

Archived