• Madjid Bougherra
    • Steven Davis
    • Pedro Mendes
    • Kyle Lafferty
    • Andy Webster
    • Andrius Velicka
    • Maurice Edu
    • Aaron Niguez

Seen similar topics being discussed on podcasts and on forums and thought I would try it here to give us something to discuss.

Looking through the players that we signed in the Summer of 2008-09 - 7 of them (I included all 9 in the interest of fairness) contributed something during that season or in a future season and made some sort of impact (some long term, some short term) at the club and that might make it the strongest transfer window we have had in a long time (I genuinely wonder if we have had a better one since?)

My vote would be for Bougherra. Plucked from a middling English championship side and tasked with filling Cuellar’s sizeable shoes and did it absolutely seamlessly..dare I say it, but he might have actually been better.

Haven’t thought this through properly but my first reaction is that Miller gave us an edge whereas Bougherra was a replacement. With Miller in the side we didn’t need Cousin or Darcheville, or even Boyd to an extent.

Kenny Miller was genuinely one of the best players I’ve ever seen at leading a line by himself with next to no support. His performances against Italy and Norway in 2005 for Scotland were incredible.

1 minute ago, Essandoh said:

I’ve went Kenny Miller but there’s little between him, Davis, Mendes and Bougherra. All superb signings.

You could make a case for all four of them, that’s why I picked that specific window out. 

Even the likes of Lafferty, Velicka and Edu, while not great overall contributed too. Lafferty was always great in April and May, Edu was solid in Europe and his goal against celtic the following season is a memorable moment and Velicka coming in from nowhere and going on a bit of a run at the business end of the 08-09 season helped get us over the line too.

9 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

You could make a case for all four of them, that’s why I picked that specific window out. 

Even the likes of Lafferty, Velicka and Edu, while not great overall contributed too. Lafferty was always great in April and May, Edu was solid in Europe and his goal against celtic the following season is a memorable moment and Velicka coming in from nowhere and going on a bit of a run at the business end of the 08-09 season helped get us over the line too.

Velicka was tremendous against Hibs :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Gascoigne8 said:

I went for Edu. I felt he was an unsung kind of player who did all the digging but got very little credit for what he brought to the team 

Edu was pish. 😂

33 minutes ago, Gascoigne8 said:

I went for Edu. I felt he was an unsung kind of player who did all the digging but got very little credit for what he brought to the team 

I've always rated Edu.  He might not be great technically but he done a power of work in midfield and made the other players look even better by winning the ball back whenever they lost possession, which Davis in particular had a habit of doing.

It’s between Bougherra and Mendes.  Two wonderfully gifted players.  Bougherra gave us three outstanding years domestically and in Europe so he’s got to get it IMO.  To think, celtic thought they had signed a better defender in Glen Loovens :lol: 

Archived