Morelos

Swagger

8 minutes ago, Swally said:

The other 2 of the front three should be contributing by scoring goals, but they're not strikers they're supporting forwards. But they can be called what you want, inverted wingers etc. Morelos is the only recognised striker in the team

That's the point I'm making though, Morelos isn't playing as an out-and-out striker - he's playing in the same "supporting forward" role as Kent/Barker/Aribo/Hagi etc.

I do think he's best through the middle tbh, and would actually prefer to see him stay in and around the box, bullying defenders, then getting his shot away and just let the other forwards swap around.

I think part of the problem we're seeing with him is a change in role.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Too stupid to have Internet access.

When I say Barker is poor, offering little, arguably the same as Morelos and you take that as arguing on behalf of Barker. Bonkers. 😂

You brought Barker into the conversation, nobody else. 

7 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

And he's doing that pulling around well. He's puting a shift in. But let's not kid in that the forward 3 don't have a remit to create and score, they do. In that sense they're all underperforming and could have no argument if 'rested'. 

Agree with this tbf.

But imo, Morelos is still doing what he's always done (mostly) and all that's missing is goals, which will come.

4 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

You brought Barker into the conversation, nobody else. 

As an example of how folk can stupidly suggest players contributions can be justified. 😂😂😂  I dont know how often or how else I can tell you I'm not promoting Barker man 😂

"What about Borna" 😁😂😂😂

5 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

That's the point I'm making though, Morelos isn't playing as an out-and-out striker - he's playing in the same "supporting forward" role as Kent/Barker/Aribo/Hagi etc.

I do think he's best through the middle tbh, and would actually prefer to see him stay in and around the box, bullying defenders, then getting his shot away and just let the other forwards swap around.

I think part of the problem we're seeing with him is a change in role.

I would argue that the role isn't different enough to explain why he's struggling so much in front of goal or in his new role.

He has always been asked to be a team player, at times he was greedy but he was still a team player - why we liked him so much.

Let's be honest it's not like he's been asked to play CB, he's still in a front 3, he's still getting chances. I'm arguing that he's showing less in those chances than he has before and his over-all play has dropped off. Personally I think it's a mental block because he's trying too hard and he's pissed off because he didn't get his move away.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

As an example of how folk can stupidly suggest players contributions can be justified. 😂😂😂  I dont know how often or how else I can tell you I'm not promoting Barker man 😂

"What about Borna" 😁😂😂😂

You compared Barker to Morelos, that's the crux of the matter. 

3 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Agree with this tbf.

But imo, Morelos is still doing what he's always done (mostly) and all that's missing is goals, which will come.

And they will. But we'll never know if others could contribute more goals and offer more unless they're given the chance. And if they take that chance then they deserve to keep the jersey. No player is bigger than the team or deserves special treatment. If out of form and most suggest he is, then why shouldn't the big squad we have be used and someone else given their opportunity like Arfield was and seized.

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

You compared Barker to Morelos, that's the crux of the matter. 

Their contributions. Or specifically how little contributions.

If I compared players I'd discuss centre forward or wing play, beating men, running channels, occupying defenders, holding the ball up, getting into goal scoring opportunities, sniffing danger, etc. I'm not. 

They're both part of a forward 3 in an ever rotating system.

Ps. Thats not Borna or Arfield's role 👍

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Ps. Thats not Borna or Arfield's role 

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

So in the last 2 games they've given us the same. Thanks 👍

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

What has he done of impact in his last 2 games mate?

Arfield, Kent and Barisic have had little impact in the last three games yet Morelos is getting it from all angles just because it's him. 

8 minutes ago, Swally said:

I would argue that the role isn't different enough to explain why he's struggling so much in front of goal or in his new role.

He has always been asked to be a team player, at times he was greedy but he was still a team player - why we liked him so much.

Let's be honest it's not like he's been asked to play CB, he's still in a front 3, he's still getting chances. I'm arguing that he's showing less in those chances than he has before and his over-all play has dropped off. Personally I think it's a mental block because he's trying too hard and he's pissed off because he didn't get his move away.

I'd say it makes a massive difference when you consider that a huge part of his game is playing on the shoulder of defenders and scoring goals by being in the right place at the right time, not playing on the right/left and running channels - He's adjusting to a completely different role, imo.

He'll also be annoyed he never got the move of course, and that will probably still be on his mind.

14 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

And they will. But we'll never know if others could contribute more goals and offer more unless they're given the chance. And if they take that chance then they deserve to keep the jersey. No player is bigger than the team or deserves special treatment. If out of form and most suggest he is, then why shouldn't the big squad we have be used and someone else given their opportunity like Arfield was and seized.

I think if someone get's a chance and shows more than Morelos, they absolutely deserve to keep their place - i disagree that he's "out of form" though, and would possibly drop him to give him a rest, rather than because of poor form tbh.

11 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Arfield, Kent and Barisic have had little impact in the last three games yet Morelos is getting it from all angles just because it's him. 

You can argue all week on the input from Morelos, but to say Arfield hasn't had an impact in the last few games is absolutely untrue, in fact it's crap. 

Watch the game including All our players, not just Morelos. 

PS Borna was injured for 1/2 the game so had limited input. 

9 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Vitriol?

Holy fuck.

On 23/10/2020 at 21:17, jjbscotty12 said:

We will regret rejecting that €16m big time. 

On 23/10/2020 at 21:41, berkshirebear said:

Morelos looks like he's never seen a football before. His touch, control etc is awful, we are winning despite him not because of anything he is doing... 

On 24/10/2020 at 08:02, BearInTheToon said:

Na, it’s not nonsense to suggest he’s carrying a bit of extra timber. You can physically see it. We all can.

The point is, he may just be within the parameters that the staff deem as being acceptable (though clearly they make allowances for Alfie in general), but it’s definitely affecting his dynamism and usual pace/power.

On 24/10/2020 at 08:35, Swally said:

He hasn't been doing the things you're talking about for a while now, even saw it in the last game. He wasn't doing a great job of bullying defenders or holding the ball up. All he had was a couple of flashes of good play, that's about it.

I think it's very unfair to judge every other player game to game, but Alfredo gets still judged on his 2019 form. 

It's clear he is not anywhere near the player he was just now.

On 24/10/2020 at 10:11, Broxi said:

People keep saying he just needs a goal, he already scored a couple a few weeks ago and it's lead to nothing

On 24/10/2020 at 11:56, BearInTheToon said:

Really?  Well, firstly, we were all really fast at the beginning of last season to comment on how fitter he looked compared to the previous season.  SG himself said he was much leaner and the sharpest he'd ever seen Alfie.  The same can't be said for this season. 

Secondly, you've tried to take a couple of pics to serve your argument, so I'll do the same.  Point is, pics can sometimes be misleading/the body can appear different depending on the angle. 

But I think it's pretty clear to most, from using their own eye, that while he's still got the stamina to get around a pitch (he's not turned into a fat fucker, after all), he's put enough on to rob him of explosiveness/sharpness.  And aye, he's shit out of form.  But we'll agree to disagree, it's nae bother

Last September1053151659_Screenshot2020-10-24at12_44_38.thumb.png.47c0b366a210b9cab881feaae4a4adbe.png

9 Days Ago 1494323363_Screenshot2020-10-24at12_44_53.thumb.png.2b6fc5bb0fcd32a3199b55a1edc68b34.png

23 hours ago, Gazzalivesforever said:

Imo he's playing like a striker who's disappointed he's still a Rangers player. 

22 hours ago, berkshirebear said:

Utter BS btw. Is it a tactic for him to keep losing posession, fail to hold the ball up, and not being able to strike a ball anymore.. 

Yeah. Morelos playing shite is actually a revolutionary new tactical decision... 

We're winning in spite of him. Watch when Roofe comes in fully fit and we will start spanking teams.. 

The mental gymnastics some on here are making, to try and make Morelos a big part of our current form is staggering... 

17 hours ago, berkshirebear said:

By that reasoning is Barker contributing much? Was Ejaria or Ojo contributing much when regulars for us?? If Roofe was fully fit I doubt Morelos would be getting much game time.. 

Id imagine Gerrard is as desperate as all of us to get either Morelos of old back of a big fee for him aswell which is probably contributing to him continuing to start...

7 hours ago, jjbscotty12 said:

Indeed, the amount of turd polishing of his hoaching performances is something else.

3 hours ago, JograBear said:

Doesnt look sharp to me. A bit overweight.

1 hour ago, fin8577 said:

Morelos has been very disappointing this season i think its a mixture of confidence and not getting the move to Lille.  But we can't keep carrying him its time t give Itten and Roofe a chance upfront and see what they can do. 

2 minutes ago, Jasper Blues said:

You can argue all week on the input from Morelos, but to say Arfield hasn't had an impact in the last few games is absolutely untrue, in fact it's crap. 

Watch the game including All our players, not just Morelos. 

PS Borna was injured for 1/2 the game so had limited input. 

Has Arfield been as good in the last 2 games as he has been previously? 

Archived