C*ltc

• Replies 41.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The PR machine is getting going...the fuckin dregs in this piece from todays Sun...

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/4467244/mo-johnston-bigotry-battles/

Comment by Daniel Harkins

TODAY marks 30 years since Mo Johnston stunned football by becoming Rangers’ first high-profile Catholic signing.
The sensational transfer, which enraged fans on both sides of the Old Firm divide, was broken by the Scottish Sun.

Here, Daniel Harkins, editor of the Scottish Catholic Observer, shares his thoughts on the impact the move had on Scottish football and beyond.
A generation of celtic fans have a special contempt for the man they call Judas.

My dad, raised in Coatbridge, once told me Mo Johnston was the worst Catholic in history - after Tony Blair.
My grandfather called Johnston a ‘rascal,’ which, for a man who didn’t swear, was utter condemnation.
The signing of Johnston by Rangers was hailed as a great step forward for Scottish football.
But for celtic fans, there was frustration at the way the signing was covered in the media.

The story became Rangers and its breaking of its anti-Catholic signing policy, and celtic fans were denied their understandable desire to see Johnston pilloried in the press.
And he deserved to be.
In football terms, what Johnston did was pathetic.
If a former Man United player was set to return to Old Trafford, only to sign for Liverpool, that player would rightly be seen as a turncoat interested only in money.
Johnston is no hero. He betrayed his club that made him great.
At Rangers, he gleefully joined in with singing ‘f**k’ the Pope, as shown in recent footage.

As recently as 2016, he spoke about attending a gathering of bigots in Larkhall.
He said: “Did I sing any of the songs? I did actually, it ended up on the front page – I had to sing!”
1989 also gave Scotland an easy way to forgive itself for its anti-Catholic past: by blaming it on football.
From that point forward, non-football fans in the corridors of power had an easy scapegoat. Scotland wasn’t bigoted: football fans were. Scottish companies didn’t have anti-Catholic hiring policies: Rangers did.
In reality, Rangers were just one of many companies to hold anti-Catholic hiring policies. In his autobiography, commentator Archie MacPherson writes that even the BBC, an organisation that now never tires of promoting its equality credentials, had an anti-Catholic culture
To his credit, Graeme Souness has spoken openly about the anti-Catholicism at Rangers – outside of football, there has been no Souness figure, publicly acknowledging Scotland’s bigoted past.
It’s far easier to blame the problem on the terraces. We still see this today.
The front pages are filled with stories about songs at matches.
Anti-sectarianism groups run Twitter campaigns criticising the SFA.
Government ministers issue statements attacking clubs.
Meanwhile, as The Scottish Sun but few other newspapers reported, ordinary Catholics are having miserable days at work because their boss is a bigot.

Thousands of people will cause chaos in the streets this month during Orange walks, and senior politicians will say nothing.
But if a football fan at a match steps out of line, scores of MSPs will light-up Twitter before the whistle goes.
Johnston’s signing isn’t really a story of religion.
The real battles against bigotry were fought not on the terraces, but in the shipyards, offices and neighbourhoods.
That is where Catholics suffered the ill effects of discrimination.

Johnston was just a clown at sideshow.
His story is one of modern day football: a money-hungry striker signs for a rival; a suddenly cash-rich football team ignores the anger from its most bigoted fans so it can win championships.
Mo Johnston deserves to be no more than a footnote in Scottish football history, a punchline to a bad joke.

The word high profile keeps getting used. 

So surely we were open to catholics signing. Why does nobody expose the bigotry and abuse a high profile Catholic would get for signing. 

Maybe same reason they don't want to publish the sectarianism in football report 

First thing it was a roman Catholic, then it was a 'high profile roman catholic' after that is was an Irish roman Catholic. What's next.. 

Catholic manager? Yup tick

Catholic captain? Yup tick, 

Everytime. Yet still no Protestant on their board. 

You only need to read the shite John Spencer put up with from the green and grey to know the real bigots. 

15 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

First thing it was a roman Catholic, then it was a 'high profile roman catholic' after that is was an Irish roman Catholic. What's next.. 

Catholic manager? Yup tick

Catholic captain? Yup tick, 

Everytime. Yet still no Protestant on their board. 

You only need to read the shite John Spencer put up with from the green and grey to know the real bigots. 

The security Johnson had at all times wasn't to protect him from angry bears either 

In the 30years since there has been no backlash from bears. For any catholic signing for any Catholic captain or even a Catholic manager 

Also in the same time we witness the other famous Glasgow club openly embrace and promote Irish republicanism, which has sectarianism at its root. But not since the late 90s have I saw any condemnation of such behaviour. The last condemnation I saw in mainstream was from Gerry Mcknee criticise the club for turning the knew camp into a poor man's Irish theme park and claiming they needed to ditch the 'potato dirge' 

Strange how we don't hear of Gerry anymore. 

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Check the fucking nick of this paedo apologist fud.

Imaginery conversation with himself to tell other abuse apologist fucks that everything is ok. 😂😂

They really are a different breed 

Oddballs to a man 

1 hour ago, magic8ball said:

In the 30years since there has been no backlash from bears. For any catholic signing for any Catholic captain or even a Catholic manager 

Also in the same time we witness the other famous Glasgow club openly embrace and promote Irish republicanism, which has sectarianism at its root. But not since the late 90s have I saw any condemnation of such behaviour. The last condemnation I saw in mainstream was from Gerry Mcknee criticise the club for turning the knew camp into a poor man's Irish theme park and claiming they needed to ditch the 'potato dirge' 

Strange how we don't hear of Gerry anymore. 

Gerry McKnee's comments hit the nail on the head back then and today with the exception of they now have disco lights...fucking aporant club and religion.

2 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Check the fucking nick of this paedo apologist fud.

Imaginery conversation with himself to tell other abuse apologist fucks that everything is ok. 😂😂

Comparing us to Hitler going after the Soviet Union😂😂😂

“He also brings a wealth of European experience, claiming he psyched out Neymar to the point of being subbed back in 2016 - despite the Catalans winning 2-0 at Parkhead.”

"He is a fantastic player, but you have to try to get into their heads. It worked for me against him, as he picked up a yellow card and was subbed soon afterwards.”

I want some of whatever Lustig has been smoking :lol:

41 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

“He also brings a wealth of European experience, claiming he psyched out Neymar to the point of being subbed back in 2016 - despite the Catalans winning 2-0 at Parkhead.”

"He is a fantastic player, but you have to try to get into their heads. It worked for me against him, as he picked up a yellow card and was subbed soon afterwards.”

That canny be for real :lol:

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

Neykent is pissing himself at this.

Archived