GCC Thieving B**tards

jintybear

Rangers fans sent £11k George Square damages bill after Glasgow title celebrations

The cost of the damage includes more than £4,000 to repair and replace memorial benches.

dailyrecord

See news near you

Rangers fans gather in George Square (Image: Getty Images)

Rangers fans who raised funds to pay for damage to Glasgow city centre after lockdown-busting title celebrations will be asked to pay an £11,000 bill, Glasgow City Council has revealed.

The cost of the damage includes more than £4,000 to repair and replace memorial benches wrecked in George Square after hundreds of fans gathered to celebrate the club's league win.

ADVERTISING

A further £4,000 is needed to replant flower beds.

The bill was revealed amid fears of more disruption at next Sunday's Old Firm game. Yesterday, Rangers manager Steven Gerrard told supporters to stay home.

The city council says damage to lawns at the eastern end of the square amounted to almost £3,000, while bedding plants to the value of nearly £500 are also required.

The costs do not include tidy-up work required to be carried out at the Cenotaph memorial in the square which has still to be finalised.

Glasgow City Council will this week send the bill, which stands at £11,407 so far, to a publican who organised an online fundraiser to cover the cost of damage to the memorial benches.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/rangers-fans-sent-11k-george-23713257

WTAF!! As a goodwill gesture Rangers fans were going to donate money towards damages! GGC are ripping the absolute pish. FFS did BLM or celtic fans get billed for defacing street names or pulling down statues? I can’t believe the actual cheek of them! I would tell them they are getting nothing and give all the money to charity! 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was widely discussed on line about gathering in George square so the usual step of removing the seats and barriers around flower beds and statues should have been applied. If they won 10 last week there would have been tri colours on the flagpoles, a beer tent and big screens.

4 minutes ago, trueblue 64 said:

It was widely discussed on line about gathering in George square so the usual step of removing the seats and barriers around flower beds and statues should have been applied. If they won 10 last week there would have been tri colours on the flagpoles, a beer tent and big screens.

100% they would have an open top bus and all the trimmings. When I read that I was (am) absolutely raging. I’ve never heard of any other fans/groups making a gesture to help pay for repairs never mind the fundraiser being sent a bill. Absolutely disgraceful but on hindsight not unsurprising from this hate filled cesspit.

There was 2 widely publicised campaigns (mainly through social than mainstream media) to raise the money to pay the repairs for the damage that was caused, so I don't see an issue in contact being made to square them up and follow through with the intention. What I don't get is that the intended contribution and target of £5.5k was met (with the rest presumably going to charity) yet they are asking for £11k. They have got to take some responsibility - there were discussions on removing the benches which they chose not to follow through with. I don't expect anything other than £5.5k to be given with the rest going to charity as was originally intended and was potentially the reason for the surplus contributions.

32 minutes ago, trueblue 64 said:

Aye and Maureen McBride wouldn’t have been scared to walk the streets!

Archived