Ray Wilkins

mrmojorisin

13 minutes ago, Goofy The Scot said:

Just after Ray died i was listening to Talksport on my lunchbreak and a guy called in and pretty much summed up Ray Wilkins with one short story

RIP Butch, gem of a man.

Excellent .So good that the guy got the opportunity to tell the nation his own story .

Il never forget Wilkins last game for us .We were in the east enclosure ,Can vividly remember the fog pouring over the Govan stand just after half time and by the end of the game it was almost wiped out by thick fog .

The whole crowd was singing his name throughout the second half .He left the pitch in tears and I reckon a few bears left with moist eyes too .

During his days with us I used to love watching him in the warm up .His touch and finesse with a ball was on a different level to anybody else who played in those days.Even when he was playing alongside Davie Cooper he had that wee bit extra .

Cant really think of a modern day player to compare him to .But he would be worth a fortune .

59 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

Il never forget Wilkins last game for us .We were in the east enclosure ,Can vividly remember the fog pouring over the Govan stand just after half time and by the end of the game it was almost wiped out by thick fog .

The whole crowd was singing his name throughout the second half .He left the pitch in tears and I reckon a few bears left with moist eyes too .

During his days with us I used to love watching him in the warm up .His touch and finesse with a ball was on a different level to anybody else who played in those days.Even when he was playing alongside Davie Cooper he had that wee bit extra .

Cant really think of a modern day player to compare him to .But he would be worth a fortune .

Was nearly greeting at the sight of Ray leaving the pitch that day.

Was greeting like a baby when I heard the story of the homeless man with Ray when I heard it at Christmas 

2 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Was nearly greeting at the sight of Ray leaving the pitch that day.

Was greeting like a baby when I heard the story of the homeless man with Ray when I heard it at Christmas 

From the east enclosure you could see how emotional he was when he left .

You can tell by the way he spoke about us in the years after that he loved being at Ibrox .

2 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

From the east enclosure you could see how emotional he was when he left .

You can tell by the way he spoke about us in the years after that he loved being at Ibrox .

Exactly where I was mate, very emotional wummin on the bus was inconsolable 

3 hours ago, Goofy The Scot said:

Just after Ray died i was listening to Talksport on my lunchbreak and a guy called in and pretty much summed up Ray Wilkins with one short story

RIP Butch, gem of a man.

That's superb 

7 hours ago, Goofy The Scot said:

RIP Butch, gem of a man.

I remember hear this just after Ray passed 

No one had ever heard this story before

A fitting tribute to a great man and human being who put others before himself 

God bless you Ray Wilkins 

Got quite emotional there just watching that superb volley v them in the 5-1 game in 1988..a game I attended with my wee pal who passed a few years ago.

If you e never seen it...go watch it

One of if not THE best goal ever scored at at Ibrox in my lifetime. 

7 hours ago, Goofy The Scot said:

RIP Butch, gem of a man.

Brought and still does bring me to tears hearing that interview.  Top fella..  "dangerously well"

magic8ball vividly summed up Butch's final game. Truly unforgettable. Had the pleasure of being in Ray's company about 33 years ago when my son was the mascot. He was an absolute gentleman as well as one of our best-ever players. 

Archived