Us v The scum next season

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Celtic look as though they will need to rebuild this summer and when they do bring in new players they won't gel overnight. Hopefully we can add some more quality in the midfield and upfront, even if we do lose one or two big hitters. Cant afford to stand still and not improve our group, always have to keep moving forward. We already have a settled side so you'd think that would stand us in good stead to hit the ground running come the first league game.

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

I think wright on the right funnily enough could be the difference, someone with pace who can run with the ball, hagi, aribo both like to hold it up and pass it about, easy to defend when theres 6 of you goalside

I liked the look of him when we played against Aberdeen, just not proven if he can do it week in week out, he looks very raw but hopefully over time aye he can be the player we play on the right

I've got a feeling he's been brought in as a replacement for Kent and the fact he's getting more game time is because we expect Kent to go in the summer, we'll see though

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Of course stopping their run is amazing, however we have sat and watched them win 12 domestic honours in a row, even dropping the ten, when that hurt finally gets less and less for them, they'll crow on about the 4 trebles

We had an amazing chance of one and we fucked it against absolute shite, had we not lost like we did in both games then fair enough, but to lose the goals we did in the two cup games is very very hard to take, 

Losing the 10 is already haunting them mate, and will do so for many years to come.

They will forever be known as the club that fucked 10 in a row.

The 12 hardly Gets a mention, because it is not a thing.

9 or 10 in a row has been a benchmark for Rangers and celtic since the mid 1970s.

1 minute ago, Valance1690 said:

I liked the look of him when we played against Aberdeen, just not proven if he can do it week in week out, he looks very raw but hopefully over time aye he can be the player we play on the right

I've got a feeling he's been brought in as a replacement for Kent and the fact he's getting more game time is because we expect Kent to go in the summer, we'll see though

Wright has looked anything but 'raw' whenever he has played.

Basically been our best player most times he steps on the park.

10 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

I’d be very surprised if Kent goes in the summer. Champions League coming up and I believe he’s very happy at Rangers mate. 

17 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

Wright has looked anything but 'raw' whenever he has played.

Basically been our best player most times he steps on the park.

He's looked good because he's raw imo, he's got no fear, runs right at people & if it doesn't come off it doesn't affect him. 

Hopefully once he's settled we see a good player who can give us different options, good piece of business though.

9 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

I’d be very surprised if Kent goes in the summer. Champions League coming up and I believe he’s very happy at Rangers mate. 

Hope you're right mate as he would be hard to replace. We need at least 1 big sale this summer & if 15/20 million comes in for Kent I really can't see us knocking it back, whether he wants to stay or not. 

8 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Hope you're right mate as he would be hard to replace. We need at least 1 big sale this summer & if 15/20 million comes in for Kent I really can't see us knocking it back, whether he wants to stay or not. 

Number needs to be higher than that mate before we think of selling Kent. IMO. 

35 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Losing the 10 is already haunting them mate, and will do so for many years to come.

9 or 10 in a row has been a benchmark for Rangers and celtic since the mid 1970s.

Actually wondering what 'the 12' was, which proves your point I suppose. 

We got the monkey off our back this season finally winning 55 while stopping their tainted 10. Now that Terry Munro is dead and buried its back to normal next season and this season will count for fuck all come kick off time for the first game of the 21/22 season. Absolutely need to go for the KO punch while they're punch drunk. Get the ins/outs done early, get the midfield revamped and start fast. 

Seen it plenty times before that a team finishes miles behind in the league then comes back and strolls it the season after so there’s no room for complacency 

The good thing is it’s on us now, it’s about what we do. If we strengthen the areas that need strengthened, keep our very best players and can show the same hunger as this season (that’s the biggest if) then it’s going to be very difficult for the scum to get near us. 

They have a lot of things that need doing this summer, getting them all right is going to be tough given their recent record with signings/managers but I wouldn’t rule out them running us much closer. 

Another interesting factor will be the fact that the pressure is now significantly less on both sides. Just as we don’t have the potential for them getting 10IAR hanging over us, they don’t have the expectancy from their support to deal with next season where they thought the title was a done deal this year.

We’ll have to get a few things wrong over the summer and them a lot of things right to turn the tables but I’ve been in this game too long to be as confident as some of our support seem to be 

The only people who can beat us next season are ourselves. Unfortunately Sunday showed that's still a possibility. If we strengthen in the right areas and the mentality is right it doesn't matter who they bring in. No one in their price range can make that big a difference in one window.

40 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Number needs to be higher than that mate before we think of selling Kent. IMO. 

Honestly think with the market crashing the way it has since covid that we'd get (or even ask) for more than 15/20 million for Kent? 

Potentially with add-ons it might rise a bit but nobody is paying that for a player up here unless they're sure he's going to be a first team player straight away.  

1 hour ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Why will they be forever known as the club that fucked the 10, when we did the same 23 years ago, 

Losing our ten didnt haunt us for years, but our dominance in the 90's still haunts them

Watching them lift 12 trophies on the bounce was an absolute sickener, i personally wanted a treble to ram it right up them

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Why will they be forever known as the club that fucked the 10, when we did the same 23 years ago, 

Losing our ten didnt haunt us for years, but our dominance in the 90's still haunts them

Watching them lift 12 trophies on the bounce was an absolute sickener, i personally wanted a treble to ram it right up them

It didnt stop us moving on from 1998 and being successful, but personally, and I'm sure it's the same for many bears, it took a long number of years to accept it, because I knew it was a once in a lifetime chance, that we would probably never get again.

It niggled in the back of my mind for years mate, despite the success under Advocaat and McLeish, it was always there, what if etc etc etc.

At least with the domestic cups,you get a chance every year to win it.

Things like 10 in a row only come round once, or maybe twice in a lifetime.

3 hours ago, Valance1690 said:

Kent, for all the good he's done, is just getting marked out of games these days, 3 men on him every game

If that's the case, we've got pish all around him. Any man taking three markers with him (three is an exagerration by the way) leaves shit loads of space for the others and we didn't see pockets of space opening up all over Ibrox last night. The problem when we struggle against defensively minded teams is the pedestrian nature of our approach play. There's no variety and (Kent and Wright excepted)....nobody prepared to try something different to see what shakes. That's coaching and instruction from the boss and his team. Don't know how many times the camera panned on to Michael Beale last night who seemed to be running the game for Gerrard. The gaffer seems to stand up and take things on the chin for the team and staff (admirable) when it goes tits up but who the fuck actually dictates the style of play and what the options are when it clearly isn't working? I watched 11 men in yellow play like their lives depended on that game.....against 11 in blue who looked like they expected that the weight of possession and repeatedly trying the same shit would wear the opposition down. Brain dead coaching is responsible for last night.

15 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

It didnt stop us moving on from 1998 and being successful, but personally, and I'm sure it's the same for many bears, it took a long number of years to accept it, because I knew it was a once in a lifetime chance, that we would probably never get again.

It niggled in the back of my mind for years mate, despite the success under Advocaat and McLeish, it was always there, what if etc etc etc.

At least with the domestic cups,you get a chance every year to win it.

Things like 10 in a row only come round once, or maybe twice in a lifetime.

Aside from laudrups header at tannadice in 97, the rest of the latter 9iar years were normal, great, but expected title wins for us, 

Put it this way, whos 6,7,8 and 9iar will be remembered most in the history books, ours or there's, and wether we like it or not id say theres given one of them was an invincible season, and they won all domestic honours in they 4 years

We should have smashed that treble this season, to not do so because of St mirren and st johnstone is an utter sickener

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

Aside from laudrups header at tannadice in 97, the rest of the latter 9iar years were normal, great, but expected title wins for us, 

Put it this way, whos 6,7,8 and 9iar will be remembered most in the history books, ours or there's, and wether we like it or not id say theres given one of them was an invincible season, and they won all domestic honours in they 4 years

We should have smashed that treble this season, to not do so because of St mirren and st johnstone is an utter sickener

Easiest treble on offer that I can ever remember. 

The manner in which they were chucked is the real sickner.

31 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

55 is better than all those, still the most successful team in Scotland whether we include diddy cups, 9 in a rows or not. 

Your middle paragraph is strange, 9 in a rows happen, theirs is just more recent, it won't be remembered for good reasons, it will be forever tainted as given and not achieved.

Top dog is all that matters, and we are currently most successful club in Scotland.

7 hours ago, tannerall said:

55 is better than all those, still the most successful team in Scotland whether we include diddy cups, 9 in a rows or not. 

Your middle paragraph is strange, 9 in a rows happen, theirs is just more recent, it won't be remembered for good reasons, it will be forever tainted as given and not achieved.

Top dog is all that matters, and we are currently most successful club in Scotland.

And why are we the most successful club in scotland, if it was down to you we'd only have 55 titles, money from europe and fuck all domestic honours given you want to play our reserves in the cup, 

We are the most successful club in scotland because we value winning every trophy possible, 

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

And why are we the most successful club in scotland, if it was down to you we'd only have 55 titles, money from europe and fuck all domestic honours given you want to play our reserves in the cup, 

We are the most successful club in scotland because we value winning every trophy possible, 

Success in modern football is all about league titles and Europe simples., times have moved on, I am sure you noticed we no longer play full teams in the Glasgow Cup which was seen as a prestigious competition with attendances to match even up in to the seventies..  Especially in the days when the likes of Clyde and Third Lanark were cup winning teams. 

Top teams all over Europe and especially  England regularly play weaker teams in cup competitions and most of their fans respect this and understand this. Its the modern way, however you are entitled to your own view. I'm looking forward more to those "pressureless" group games in Europe you suggest than the intensity of League Cup games against minor Scottish league teams and would be more than happy to put a reserve team out in League Cup games at beginning of season in order to concentrate on league and Europe qualifiers. It's the modern way for successful teams. Ask an Arsenal fan if he believes all the recent cup wins are as important as league or European success. You'll only get one answer.

6 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Success in modern football is all about league titles and Europe simples., times have moved on, I am sure you noticed we no longer play full teams in the Glasgow Cup which was seen as a prestigious competition with attendances to match even up in to the seventies..  Especially in the days when the likes of Clyde and Third Lanark were cup winning teams. 

Top teams all over Europe and especially  England regularly play weaker teams in cup competitions and most of their fans respect this and understand this. Its the modern way, however you are entitled to your own view. I'm looking forward more to those "pressureless" group games in Europe you suggest than the intensity of League Cup games against minor Scottish league teams and would be more than happy to put a reserve team out in League Cup games at beginning of season in order to concentrate on league and Europe qualifiers. It's the modern way for successful teams. Ask an Arsenal fan if he believes all the recent cup wins are as important as league or European success. You'll only get one answer.

Wow, are you actually comparing us to teams down south where they put reserve teams out in cups for one of two reasons 

They do it because they have a chance of winning a euro trophy and want to focus on that 

They do it because staving off relegation or getting the CL spot is worth more financially than winning a domestic honour

We are in neither of these situations, we will never win a euro trophy again and never be relegated in scottish football again, 

And if you wish to use the analogy of crappy tournaments, until the europa league gave a CL spot to its winner, a lot of big teams in europe played their backup players in the comp, some still do in the group stages

So basically you'd rather see us get to march in europe and win the league, rather than say xmas in europe but win the treble? 

22 minutes ago, tannerall said:

This has nothing to do with us being pumped out of both cups. That is like admitting we are not as good as the scum in their treble winning seasons. 

We fielded our strongest team against StJ and we failed. Simple as that. 

Some players simply not good enough in either tech ability or in their mentality. That performance was not new. Seen the movie before. 

We cannot stand still, we must continue to improve or 55 will become a distant memory. 

We go to win every competition we enter. In the SC we had no distraction of the EL, so no need to prioritise competitions if you want to go down that road and we simply failed, despite the warning of the previous league game on the Wednesday. 

It was an embarrassing defeat and even more so with our penalty taking. Watching StM despatch theirs last night, our players should be handing back their wages. 

Yes it was a major achievement in 55, but its won. A piece of history. We have to go forward as champions and show that in every game we play and that game against StJ was far from it. 

Not good enough and embarassing performances like that will never be good enough. 

Archived