Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

37 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

I think he's a rat bastard but he literally took us to the Last 16 of the Europa League.

Honestly, considering how often people post used to post "remember where we were" during Gerrard's first two years, many are quick to forget. We had someone in the dugout doing fuckin headstands and his predecessor arguing with fans in a bush! Gerrard's record isn't perfect, the way he left was pish, but he's clearly a talented manager. Our sides in Europe over the last 30 years with supposedly better players and managers have a vastly inferior european record. 

Super had his say:

“Stopping celtic doing 10 is as high on the list as you can get.

"But, being brutally honest, there is a bad taste in some of the supporters' mouths about the way it has happened.

"Particularly after that interview where Emma asked the question, as she should. That's her job.

"The answer implied 'I'm going nowhere'. I think we can all agree on that."

1 hour ago, AGM_72 said:

Honestly, considering how often people post used to post "remember where we were" during Gerrard's first two years, many are quick to forget. We had someone in the dugout doing fuckin headstands and his predecessor arguing with fans in a bush! Gerrard's record isn't perfect, the way he left was pish, but he's clearly a talented manager. Our sides in Europe over the last 30 years with supposedly better players and managers have a vastly inferior european record. 

Like who? What manager had better players and a vastly inferior euro record? 

49 minutes ago, miracle said:

Smith and Advocaat.

Smith, champions league group stage numerous occasions, uefa cup final, uefa cup last 32, thats just his second era

Advocaat, uefa cup last 64 lost to the winners, beating bayer leverkusen on the way, 2 CL group stage appearances one which we dominated bayern munich home and away, final season he took us by Xmas in europe for the first time in a decade

Kinda doing them a disservice are we not? 

46 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Like who? What manager had better players and a vastly inferior euro record? 

Vastly inferior was probably over the top tbf. But every Rangers team for basically 30 years has on several occasions been papped out by absolute dross in the qualifiers. Smith's sides bounced from two great runs to two pathetic results. McLeish had Zizkov, McCoist had Maribor. 

Gerrard had us consistently performing in Europe, through 2-4 rounds of qualifiers doing it with style. By the time last season came around I never felt overly concerned that we'd struggle in European games. 

This season you could argue has been poor, but as a bare minimum we've still reached the europa league and are in a decent position to push into the next round. 

Gerrard failed in his one attempt at the Champions League, I wouldn't place that at the same level of the likes of Kaunas though.

2 minutes ago, AGM_72 said:

Vastly inferior was probably over the top tbf. But every Rangers team for basically 30 years has on several occasions been papped out by absolute dross in the qualifiers. Smith's sides bounced from two great runs to two pathetic results. McLeish had Zizkov, McCoist had Maribor. 

Gerrard had us consistently performing in Europe, through 2-4 rounds of qualifiers doing it with style. By the time last season came around I never felt overly concerned that we'd struggle in European games. 

This season you could argue has been poor, but as a bare minimum we've still reached the europa league and are in a decent position to push into the next round. 

Gerrard failed in his one attempt at the Champions League, I wouldn't place that at the same level of the likes of Kaunas though.

Do you hold mccoists one attempt at the CL against him? 

And for every kaunas walter had, he had a CL group stage, think he had 6 group stage campaigns overall (might be more) 

Plus all these other gaffers won many domestic honours while doing it in europe

9 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Do you hold mccoists one attempt at the CL against him? 

And for every kaunas walter had, he had a CL group stage, think he had 6 group stage campaigns overall (might be more) 

Plus all these other gaffers won many domestic honours while doing it in europe

Aye, I do. I hold Gerrard's against him too for the manner in which we lost to Malmo, but for me it's not on the level of Kaunas, Zizkov, Maribor. 

Absolutely, but Gerrard hasn't had the luxury of any automatic entries. All the other gaffers had a solid foundation to build upon for their domestic success after taking over. Perhaps only Smith's second tenure, his Manchester season, is different as he had inherited a shambles. But even then - he didn't have the same baggage. You could argue Advocaat, but commercially, financially etc we were nowhere near the shaky ground we had when Gerrard came in. 

As I said, he's not a perfect manager by any stretch but he's obviously a good one. Particularly for his age. To argue against that, as some have been, is pure reactionary nonsense. I say that as someone who is appalled by how he has left. Gerrard's success required him to actually rebuild the sort of foundations that existed pre-2012 for every Rangers manager.