Goldson

GOAT

13 hours ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Love that the thing Tav said over 20 months ago is now being piped up. Since then they have won one of our biggest league titles overcoming huge pressure. But fuck it we lost a game of football so let's batter fuck out the guys who were heroes just 6 months ago.

The pressure was lessened with each passing month due to the Torbett's collapse. Lets not pretend otherwise. If it was week-to-week pressure over the course of a season like it was the season previous when we bottled it I'm in no way convinced they would have coped. 

This team cannot handle the pressure. 

2 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Exactly. The guys done 1 good season out of how many? Has been captain as we have failed time and time again. 

He was back to being a coward at the weekend. 

I posted earlier mate. He is a traffic cop with his arms flailing and blaming every other player for stuff. First class shitebag. Get rid. 

What he said is unforgivable in my opinion but maybe they are spent..

55/10IAR was so all encompassing, emotionally and physically draining for all involved, maybe it was always the case that when the dust settled all involved would need to move on and a new era begins.

Almost like a suicide mission in a war movie "the orders are to get there, your forces will be spent you won't have enough fuel or bullets to fight your way back but just get it over the line"

But for a "senior player" to say that in public is beyond criminal and will not be forgiven by me ever!!

1 minute ago, King Jela said:

The problem, imo, was not moving these players on when their value was high to let hungrier players in through the door. 

Players values are high when they make their value high - by scoring loads of goals, progressing in Europe, defence record, invincible season. 
why on earth would you move them on when all that is happening is beyond me, but now we know this season is different we can start transitioning players on  

hungrier players? Where are they? Because the players we brought in to  possibly replace others haven’t worked out and don’t look like they will. Bassey, Itten, Wright et al 

dismantling last years first team would have been madness knowing what they achieved. 

you have hindsight that’s what you have  

14 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Is that a joke? Because money obviously does play a massive part. Any footballer with no connection to Rangers is always picking 4x their wage down south over trophy's up here. 

The problem, imo, was not moving these players on when their value was high to let hungrier players in through the door. 

No point having 'hungrier' players if they aren't as good as the ones you've moved on.

3 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

There’s hungry and there’s character. Tons of hungry players out there. I want a player to have strong ethos on what it means to play for Rangers. 

I'm sure there's plenty of players would run through brick walls to play for us but if they aren't any better than the likes of Goldson etc, all we have is a bunch of hard-working duds.

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'm sure there's plenty of players would run through brick walls to play for us but if they aren't any better than the likes of Goldson etc, all we have is a bunch of hard-working duds.

Goldson is not a run through brick wall player that’s for sure. 

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If there the same quality of player but put in effort there twice the player surely

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

No point having 'hungrier' players if they aren't as good as the ones you've moved on.

There’s also little point in holding onto your most valuable assets when you’re rooked for cash and your supposed business model is buy low sell high.

Added to which, a good player with little or no desire or hunger is of far less value to a team than a lesser player with hunger and desire in abundance.

You only have to look at players who have taken the hump at clubs to see they become a liability as they work their ticket or swan around effort free thinking they’ve made it.

Our very own Morelos is a prime example.

Offers nothing these days.

A ‘lesser’ player in Sakala improves the dynamic of the team.

In fact, Saksla has that much hunger and desire it is probably hindering his performance. Once he can channel all his energy, enthusiasm and desire to please I suspect his stock will soar.

28 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Can't the hungrier players be better? If we had sold Goldson in the summer would it have been impossible to find a better defender than what we're seeing for less than what we paid? 

Helander cost less and he's far better. 

35 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

dismantling last years first team would have been madness knowing what they achieved. 

It was well known after we'd won the league we had a CL qualifier and at least 4 first teamers out of that qualifier due to international duty and or suspension. We also had Goldson's contract situation and the board telling us we had to sell if we wanted to bring in new players. 

Not selling and bringing in fresh faces may have cost us £40 million and I think it did. 

35 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Goldson is not a run through brick wall player that’s for sure. 

He[s probably not but tbh, there aren't many of them. Certainly not the quality we need as well. Ultimately, unless we're only going to sign guys who are dyed-in-the-wool Rangers fans, there's always a massive risk that they reach their goals and down tools a bit.

30 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Can't the hungrier players be better? If we had sold Goldson in the summer would it have been impossible to find a better defender than what we're seeing for less than what we paid? 

Helander cost less and he's far better. 

They absolutely can be hungrier but where/who are these players?

Didn't both Goldson and Helander cost c3m?

There's not much use in Helander being better if he spends three out of every 6 months injured.

the thing that really grates with me is the fact that he says he knew this at half time.  hes vice captain.  his (and the captains) responsibility involves geeing team mates up.  kicking them up the arse.  call it whatever you like.  but it sounds very like he was either unable or unwilling to do this but was happy to throw his team mates under a bus in an interview after the game.  all the while with your new gaffer watching in the stands (that surely cant be as blind with Goldson as Gerrard)

37 minutes ago, beararse said:

There’s also little point in holding onto your most valuable assets when you’re rooked for cash and your supposed business model is buy low sell high.

Added to which, a good player with little or no desire or hunger is of far less value to a team than a lesser player with hunger and desire in abundance.

You only have to look at players who have taken the hump at clubs to see they become a liability as they work their ticket or swan around effort free thinking they’ve made it.

Our very own Morelos is a prime example.

Offers nothing these days.

A ‘lesser’ player in Sakala improves the dynamic of the team.

In fact, Saksla has that much hunger and desire it is probably hindering his performance. Once he can channel all his energy, enthusiasm and desire to please I suspect his stock will soar.

So should we have ripped the team apart over the summer and sold who we could before building yet another new team from scratch and hoping we can get them all to gel over the summer before the CL games?

Had we sold Patterson when Everton bid for him folk would have been losing their shit. Other than that, the only real bids we've had where we could 'sell high' else has been Morelos. And at the time, everybody insisted we should keep him as we'd get more after we won the title etc.

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He[s probably not but tbh, there aren't many of them. Certainly not the quality we need as well. Ultimately, unless we're only going to sign guys who are dyed-in-the-wool Rangers fans, there's always a massive risk that they reach their goals and down tools a bit.

It's your last paragraph I can't work out, (in player's attitude, not what you've written).

Rangers fans or not, you would think that players would have a sense of self worth, a sense of pride in their own and the team's performance? It wouldn't matter what team I was playing for, whether it be Rangers or an amateur side I would want to do my best and put the effort in, if not so much for the team certainly for my myself, my own pride, I certainly wouldn't be basically throwing the towel in just because we were getting beat at half time and not playing particularly well.

If Goldson is trying to engineer a move he's going the wrong way about it by delivering performances that are well below par and showing an attitude that indicates he is likely to give up far too easily when things are not going right for him, rather than knuckle down and grind out the result.

18 minutes ago, The Dude said:

They absolutely can be hungrier but where/who are these players?

Didn't both Goldson and Helander cost c3m?

There's not much use in Helander being better if he spends three out of every 6 months injured.

I've absolutely no idea because its not my job to idetify players for Rangers to sign. 

Balogun was on a free and he's been the better of the 2 at the back since Helander's injury and better than Goldson overall this season. 

And Goldson's no use to us with a year left on his deal other than to fill a gap before he fucks off. Doesn't mean we couldn't get better for cheaper than what we're seeing of Goldson this season though, does it? 

Just now, rbt1548 said:

It's your last paragraph I can't work out, (in player's attitude, not what you've written).

Rangers fans or not, you would think that players would have a sense of self worth, a sense of pride in their own and the team's performance? It wouldn't matter what team I was playing for, whether it be Rangers or an amateur side I would want to do my best and put the effort in, if not so much for the team certainly for my myself, my own pride, I certainly wouldn't be basically throwing the towel in just because we were getting beat at half time and not playing particularly well.

If Goldson is trying to engineer a move he's going the wrong way about it by delivering performances that are well below par and showing an attitude that indicates he is likely to give up far too easily when things are not going right for him, rather than knuckle down and grind out the result.

I've little to back it up but I feel the financial shift in football over the last 20 or so years has completely changed the outlook of players generally. If you're one of these guys who aren't a properly 'elite' player, the biggest driver for players is setting themselves and their family up financially rather than having a career where winning trophies is the main motivator. Before the money went bonkers, footballers were still well-paid but they weren't paid the sort sums they are now (relatively speaking). Bog averae guys getting north of 20k a week does a lot more for them long-term than being able to say they won a couple of trophies.

5 minutes ago, King Jela said:

I've absolutely no idea because its not my job to idetify players for Rangers to sign. 

Balogun was on a free and he's been the better of the 2 at the back since Helander's injury and better than Goldson overall this season. 

And Goldson's no use to us with a year left on his deal other than to fill a gap before he fucks off. Doesn't mean we couldn't get better for cheaper than what we're seeing of Goldson this season though, does it? 

We're only a few months removed from folk arguing Goldson deserves to be allowed to run his contract down after he was so impressive for us last season. We were never replacing Goldson before he leaves the club and the sum total of zero bids received for him means he wasn't getting replaced in the summer. We've already got two defenders we're paying to sit with their fingers up their arse and a third who keeps picking up injuries.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

We're only a few months removed from folk arguing Goldson deserves to be allowed to run his contract down after he was so impressive for us last season. We were never replacing Goldson before he leaves the club and the sum total of zero bids received for him means he wasn't getting replaced in the summer. We've already got two defenders we're paying to sit with their fingers up their arse and a third who keeps picking up injuries.

Does fan debate matter to the board when making business decisions? 

I have no idea if there were bids or if there had been bids had it been known we were willing to sell. Neither do you. 

What's your point there about the defenders in the context of what we're talking about?