Goldson

GOAT

Just now, King Jela said:

Does fan debate matter to the board when making business decisions? 

I have no idea if there were bids or if there had been bids had it been known we were willing to sell. Neither do you. 

What's your point there about the defenders in the context of what we're talking about? 

Yeah, trying to keep your biggest customer on board is often something that drives business decision made by the club.

The point about defenders is, we weren't signing a replacement for Goldson unless he was sold.

There were zero bids for Goldson over the summer.

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Balogun has had some stinkers but he's he's not been 'horrendous' this season. In fact many people were two weeks ago saying he has been our best player this season.

Last week it was Davis. No doubt by next week it'll be someone different. Maybe Sakala or Bassey this time.

Just now, The Dude said:

Yeah, trying to keep your biggest customer on board is often something that drives business decision made by the club.

The point about defenders is, we weren't signing a replacement for Goldson unless he was sold.

I'd imagine the board will be aware from over the years they're guarenteed 40,000+ a season in season tickets. I don't think selling Goldson would have broke that cycle. 

Literally no one said anything different. So a pointless point to make. 

I never said there was or wasn't. I, like you, have absolutely no idea if there was or wasn't. Doesn't mean there wouldn't have been if we were actively looking to sell though. 

Cant remember the last time I saw a Rangers defender put his body on the line to get in the way of a shot, everyone else does it against us, I just don't see that desire and pride to defend properly, Helander does it, no one else steps up.

2 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Feel free to direct me to where many were saying Davis has been our best player, not seen this nonsense!

I'd like to see these threads myself. 

I say threads because 1 or 2 randomly picked out posters don't count. If it's caught his eye it must be a lot. 

Either than or he's, more than likely, full a shite. 

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

And his form since won't see suitors queuing the length of Edmiston Drive.

5 minutes ago, King Jela said:

I'd imagine the board will be aware from over the years they're guarenteed 40,000+ a season in season tickets. I don't think selling Goldson would have broke that cycle. 

Literally no one said anything different. So a pointless point to make. 

I never said there was or wasn't. I, like you, have absolutely no idea if there was or wasn't. Doesn't mean there wouldn't have been if we were actively looking to sell though. 

it wouldn't have broke the cycle but do you think we'd have all been sitting applauding the club for selling Goldson over the summer to be replaced with someone signed as a freebie (or Jack Simpson)?

You said we could have got 'better in for cheaper' over the summer. We simply weren't bringing someone in if Goldson stayed at the club - and if you listened to anything Gerrard said over the summer, there was no intention of selling him.

1 minute ago, King Jela said:

I'd like to see these threads myself. 

I say threads because 1 or 2 randomly picked out posters don't count. If it's caught his eye it must be a lot. 

Either than or he's, more than likely, full a shite. 

So people who have said Davis has been our best player only count if they've started a thread? Where's the Balogun has been our best player thread?

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

it wouldn't have broke the cycle but do you think we'd have all been sitting applauding the club for selling Goldson over the summer to be replaced with someone signed as a freebie (or Jack Simpson)?

You said we could have got 'better in for cheaper' over the summer. We simply weren't bringing someone in if Goldson stayed at the club - and if you listened to anything Gerrard said over the summer, there was no intention of selling him.

No. And whether it would have been a popular choice or not is irrelevant. I'd imagine also, in the interest of keeping customers happy n' aw that, they would have used whatever little money we would have got from selling Goldson back in to finding a replacement. 

I never said at any point to bring in someone over the summer alongside Goldson. 

1 minute ago, King Jela said:

No. And whether it would have been a popular choice or not is irrelevant. I'd imagine also, in the interest of keeping customers happy n' aw that, they would have used whatever little money we would have got from selling Goldson back in to finding a replacement. 

I never said at any point to bring in someone over the summer alongside Goldson. 

Theyd have used it to covering the fairly substantial losses we've just posted.

Rather than find a replacement, we'd have used one of the other four senior central defenders we have at the club - Helander, Balogun, Katic or Simpson - and maybe even kept Edmundson too. We were never spending money on replacing Goldson over the summer.

37 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Each to their own. I think he's been the better of the 2 overall since Helander's injury.

And I think you missed the point I was making

Yeah didn’t read the whole exchange tbh, just picked out that part. 

4 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Balogun has had some stinkers but he's he's not been 'horrendous' this season. In fact many people were two weeks ago saying he has been our best player this season.

Well I think he’s been worse than Goldson and there have been much stronger terms used than “horrendous” to describe him this season. 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

So should we have ripped the team apart over the summer and sold who we could before building yet another new team from scratch and hoping we can get them all to gel over the summer before the CL games?

Had we sold Patterson when Everton bid for him folk would have been losing their shit. Other than that, the only real bids we've had where we could 'sell high' else has been Morelos. And at the time, everybody insisted we should keep him as we'd get more after we won the title etc.

Your not ripping apart a team selling, say, two players. I never said sell them all but we need to recognise we have to sell. It’s a gamble holding onto players hoping their stock will rise when it’s already far higher than when they arrived.

Kent, Goldson, Kamara, Barisic, Aribo, Patterson, Hagi…..had we intimated a real willingness to sell any two of those listed we would have had suitors but we didn’t.

As for ‘everybody’ wanting to keeping  Morelos at the time, all my mates are Rangers fans and not one of us were averse to selling him, recognising he was at the peak of his powers…. there are many on this forum who would be happy to have sold him at his peak too.

4 minutes ago, beararse said:

Your not ripping apart a team selling, say, two players. I never said sell them all but we need to recognise we have to sell. It’s a gamble holding onto players hoping their stock will rise when it’s already far higher than when they arrived.

Kent, Goldson, Kamara, Barisic, Aribo, Patterson, Hagi…..had we intimated a real willingness to sell any two of those listed we would have had suitors but we didn’t.

As for ‘everybody’ wanting to keeping  Morelos at the time, all my mates are Rangers fans and not one of us were averse to selling him, recognising he was at the peak of his powers…. there are many on this forum who would be happy to have sold him at his peak too.

So how do you go about building a consistently title-winning team that can compete in Europe if we're selling our best players at the first sniff of decent money? Would you have accepted selling Morelos for big bucks if it mean fucking the title and giving them ten?

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Theyd have used it to covering the fairly substantial losses we've just posted.

Rather than find a replacement, we'd have used one of the other four senior central defenders we have at the club - Helander, Balogun, Katic or Simpson - and maybe even kept Edmundson too. We were never spending money on replacing Goldson over the summer.

You literally just made the point fan debate matters in the boardroom because fans are the customers, yet you're claiming they wouldn't have done anything with the money other than covered losses further angering their customers. Its fairly clear you have no idea what the thinking is in the boardroom so to suggest you'd know for sure what they would have done with the hypothetical money from Goldson is fairytale stuff. 

There's literally nothing to suggest that at all. 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I've little to back it up but I feel the financial shift in football over the last 20 or so years has completely changed the outlook of players generally. If you're one of these guys who aren't a properly 'elite' player, the biggest driver for players is setting themselves and their family up financially rather than having a career where winning trophies is the main motivator. Before the money went bonkers, footballers were still well-paid but they weren't paid the sort sums they are now (relatively speaking). Bog averae guys getting north of 20k a week does a lot more for them long-term than being able to say they won a couple of trophies.

The financial shift has definitely changed the outlook of football, not just players but the whole football world, Barcelona have just put 1bn. Euro release clause on Pedri , an 18 year old!

I  agree people need to look after their families, but if they are wanting a big move or request a rise in wages they have to be seen to put in the effort constantly during their time at a club, not just in spells. Players will have form dips, it happens, work through it. Professional players will have had the hunger and desire as youngsters to enable them to get to where they are,  so you would think there would be the desire, in most of them, to show they still have that drive to possibly make a big move allowing them and their families financially security.