Who should be captain?

NorthernLights

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

What’s that got to do with it?

Well if we're talking about how important the captain is to the club and people are suggesting Ryan Jack. I don't see how that fits into how a leader would act after a big defeat!

23 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Barry Ferguson in 2000 says hello 

One example from 20 years ago after a personality clash between manager and captain during a season when we got scudded in the league and because we had a clear and obvious replacement for the role already at the club. None of those things are happening at the club right now.

18 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

Well if we're talking about how important the captain is to the club and people are suggesting Ryan Jack. I don't see how that fits into how a leader would act after a big defeat!

Because you would never see the likes of John Terry crying after a big defeat.

Boy showed a bit of emotion fuck sake:lol: 

3 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Because you would never see the likes of John Terry crying after a big defeat.

Boy showed a bit of emotion fuck sake:lol: 

I don't actually have a problem with him showing some emotion tbh:lol: However, you have people asking for leadership and these other vague qualities that we dont see unless someone is barking in front of them. Then one of the main suggestions is a player who is crying after a big defeat. Can you imagine if it was Tav? The same folks suggesting Jack would have a problem with it!

I also don't value one captain as much as others either. I think that every good team has 4 or 5 strong leaders in a team rather than one sole captain. In fact funny you mention Terry he said that himself. If he were out of training or injured them Lampard or Drogba or Cech would be holding up the standards not just him because he wears a band - Chelsea were also on a different planet when it came to a leadership group as well!

12 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

I don't actually have a problem with him showing some emotion tbh:lol: However, you have people asking for leadership and these other vague qualities that we dont see unless someone is barking in front of them. Then one of the main suggestions is a player who is crying after a big defeat. Can you imagine if it was Tav? The same folks suggesting Jack would have a problem with it!

I also don't value one captain as much as others either. I think that every good team has 4 or 5 strong leaders in a team rather than one sole captain. In fact funny you mention Terry he said that himself. If he were out of training or injured them Lampard or Drogba or Cech would be holding up the standards not just him because he wears a band - Chelsea were also on a different planet when it came to a leadership group as well!

He was still their captain, and he still ended up in tears.

Whether JT is a good leader or captain becomes irrelevant when he deserves to be dropped after yesterday's performance and therefore, someone new has to be made captain. The obvious choice is Goldson but his post match comments and his failure to renew a contract would make him an unpopular option.

50 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

One example from 20 years ago after a personality clash between manager and captain during a season when we got scudded in the league and because we had a clear and obvious replacement for the role already at the club. None of those things are happening at the club right now.

How was ferguson the clear and obvious replacement, he was 20 year old at the time and had only played first team football for 2 years, 

And how do you know there isnt a clear replacement in the squad? 

52 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

How was ferguson the clear and obvious replacement, he was 20 year old at the time and had only played first team football for 2 years, 

And how do you know there isnt a clear replacement in the squad? 

Because Ferguson came into the team and immediately started acting and playing like a leader despite being surrounded by players who were far more high profile and experienced than he was. Don’t forget that he had already captained the side in the champions league before he even got the armband permanently.

If you want to slate Tavernier for being involved in multiple cup defeats then you have to judge the rest of them in that basis too. Where’s their leadership, will to win and ability to rally the players to a result been during these games?

Putting an armband on somebody - be it Jack, Goldson or anybody else currently at the club - isn’t going to suddenly make them develop and show leadership skills. Most leaders do it regardless. They don’t suppress it because they aren’t wearing an armband that says captain on it.

We dont need a change of captain we need more leadership in general throughout the team. We have too many players that visibly shrink when things get tough and then the others around them let them away with it.

We need every player to start fucking getting them telt. Im sick of watching it pan out and its the same players constantly.

Tav gets a lot of stick and rightly so on occassions but one thing you cant accuse him of is hiding during a game even when things arent going right for him. Now ask yourself the same question of some of the others who were shocking vs hibs. 

6 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

We dont need a change of captain we need more leadership in general throughout the team. We have too many players that visibly shrink when things get tough and then the others around them let them away with it.

We need every player to start fucking getting them telt. Im sick of watching it pan out and its the same players constantly.

Tav gets a lot of stick and rightly so on occassions but one thing you cant accuse him of is hiding during a game even when things arent going right for him. Now ask yourself the same question of some of the others who were shocking vs hibs. 

Yip. The likes of McGregor, Barisic and Davis being the main offenders. Experienced players who have shown leadership qualities in the past who should be more than capable of booting arses when things aren’t going well. 

I honestly think if Gio wants a new captain it’s going to have to be somebody he signs.