Who should be captain?

NorthernLights

4 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

You got a link to said chart?

Mental statement, tav had 16 assists last season and is currently on 11 this season.....yes their are plenty of criticisms that can be thrown at tav but to suggest he is a failure in assists is just fucking ludicrous 

Just now, BlueHatBlueDay said:

Ok, an unqualified statement. I'm pretty sure if there was such a chart he'd be up there.  

So if he is top of the 'failed assists' chart does this mean he is doing his job but the players he is providing the assist to are failing us?

2 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Mental statement, tav had 16 assists last season and is currently on 11 this season.....yes their are plenty of criticisms that can be thrown at tav but to suggest he is a failure in assists is just fucking ludicrous 

For the life of me I can't figure out what a 'failed assist' can be?:lol:

32 minutes ago, qwerty said:

I think the following are qualities that make a good Captain

1 They always put the team first

2 They lead by example

3 They inspire those around them

4 They have a positive relationship with Coaches and Teammates

5 They embody the core values if the Club 

6 They work hard and persevere

7 They step up when the team needs them

11 of those please.

Not just one thanks. 

I think he should keep Tav as captain. I think he is a good example, he apparently trains well, doesn't miss games and speaks well. He's the best of a bad bunch for me and from what I've read and heard he is highly respected by his peers.

However, I think he should make it clear to Tav privately that he is not guaranteed his position. I think that our previous manager didn't drop Tav as he was scared to rock the boat. Patterson has more than earned his shot at right back imo and we can't afford not to play one of our most sellable high valued assets. In that case the vice captain is a big appointment. If they're playing I think it would be Davis, McGregor or even Arfield.

3 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

People can moan about Tav and continue to act like he's the reason for anything bad that happens to us. And yes he was shite yesterday along with the other 15 players that played yesterday

The fact is in the last 4-6 weeks he's been our outstanding performer and if it wasnt for his contributions we wouldnt be 4 points ahead in the league.

In the last 7 games he's scored 2 goals and had 6 assists. If he's not leading by example I'm not seeing anyone else that is!

Don’t use logic around here mate

See yesterday was a shocker of a result, nobody is going to deny that, but if we had made up a RM bingo card for all the cliched and obvious takes and topics that always come up after a really poor result or performance then we would have had a full house hours ago.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

Connor is the only one that had the balls to call the team out. That shows the character you need to be captain. He's the only choice imo, given Jack can't be relied upon for fitness.

You want a captain who says we are beaten already at half time? 

5 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

See yesterday was a shocker of a result, nobody is going to deny that, but if we had made up a RM bingo card for all the cliched and obvious takes and topics that always come up after a really poor result or performance then we would have had a full house hours ago.

When was the last time we won a domestic trophy? This goes a lot further back than yesterday.

Leaders find a way to win 90 minute cup-ties. We don't have any. The make-up of the team needs changed.

9 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

When was the last time we won a domestic trophy? This goes a lot further back than yesterday.

Leaders find a way to win 90 minute cup-ties. We don't have any. The make-up of the team needs changed.

Yeah it does but it’s not going to be ripped out root and branch and changed in the middle of the season.

All these posts about changing the captain, running up the Gullane Sands, needing to replace six or seven players, signing no nonsense centre halves and destroyers for the middle of the park, talk of the manager having favourites who need dropped, the kids couldn’t be any worse..these are nothing more than a load of cliched tripe that gets trotted out time and time again whenever there is any sort of bad result. They were even trotted out under Smith when we were winning trophies regularly.

If a new manager was coming in and having to pick a new captain Tav probably wouldn't be my choice but I don't see what stripping him of the captaincy achieves although I want Patterson to get a prolonged run in the team.

Just now, DBBTB said:

Yeah it does but it’s not going to be ripped out root and branch and changed in the middle of the season.

All these posts about changing the captain, running up the Gullane Sands, needing to repose six or seven players, signing no nonsense centre halves and destroyers for the middle of the park, talk of the manager having favourites who need dropped, the kids couldn’t be any worse..these are nothing more than a load of cliched tripe that gets trotted out time and time again whenever there is any sort of bad result. They were even trotted out under Smith when we were winning trophies regularly.

Well you have to start somewhere because it is clearly getting worse. Where do suggest if not the captaincy?

GVB has a clear opportunity to stamp his authority on this team by making a drastic change that no one could really argue against. Going with the status quo until the January window is not a good idea. 

So what's the point in taking the captaincy from Tav ATM, when there are no alternatives?, the two main names mentioned are Jack and  Goldson, why? Goldson wants away so what kind of message does that send out and after his comments yesterday fucking mind boggling, as for Jack until he can prove to have got over his injury problems then again what's the point? and TBH I'm not even sure I would have him as captain anyway, to me a captain has to be inspiring and be able to drag a performance out of others around him when things are not going well, as good a player as Jack is in his role I've never seen that in him.

We're fucked at the moment in the captain material department and have been for years.

12 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

If a new manager was coming in and having to pick a new captain Tav probably wouldn't be my choice but I don't see what stripping him of the captaincy achieves although I want Patterson to get a prolonged run in the team.

Maybe as has been mentioned in past threads we should try and find a way of getting Tav and Patterson in the same team, it's working for Clarke in the Scotland setup with Tierney and Robertson so why not give it a try?, if it doesn't work so what at least we gave it a go.

4 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Well you have to start somewhere because it is clearly getting worse. Where do suggest if not the captaincy?

GVB has a clear opportunity to stamp his authority on this team by making a drastic change that no one could really argue against. Going with the status quo until the January window is not a good idea. 

I would suggest he starts by using his man management to get to know the players, get a bit of confidence back into them and get them to buy into his methods and ideas before he makes any massive wholesale changes like changing the captaincy.

People always talk about when Advocaat replaced Amoruso as captain as an example of when it works but never mention that 1) Advocaat and Amoruso didn’t really get in and 2) we don’t have a Barry Ferguson who’s leadership skills are standing out like a sore thumb like they did when he replaced Amoruso to replace Tavernier in the role right now.

What does changing the captaincy right now when there is no obvious alternative candidate achieve?

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I would suggest he starts by using his man management to get to know the players, get a bit of confidence back into them and get them to buy into his methods and ideas before he makes any massive wholesale changes like changing the captaincy.

People always talk about when Advocaat replaced Amoruso as captain as an example of when it works but never mention that 1) Advocaat and Amoruso didn’t really get in and 2) we don’t have a Barry Ferguson who’s leadership skills are standing out like a sore thumb like they did when he replaced Amoruso to replace Tavernier in the role right now.

What does changing the captaincy right now when there is no obvious alternative candidate achieve?

- it sends a clear message and prevents complacency which has clearly been a problem all year.

_ Ryan Jack is the leader of that team.  Gerrard should have had the balls to change it as he always called him the player he could trust. He is fit and I expect him to stay fit.

- I will start looking at Tavernier's offensive contributions when he shores up his defensive duties. Right now he is not even the best right back at the club let alone a true leader of the club. 

- Something has to change. Not winning a domestic trophy in so long is inexcusable.