Who should be captain?

NorthernLights

11 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

- it sends a clear message and prevents complacency which has clearly been a problem all year.

_ Ryan Jack is the leader of that team.  Gerrard should have had the balls to change it as he always called him the player he could trust. He is fit and I expect him to stay fit.

- I will start looking at Tavernier's offensive contributions when he shores up his defensive duties. Right now he is not even the best right back at the club let alone a true leader of the club. 

- Something has to change. Not winning a domestic trophy in so long is inexcusable.

Giving the captaincy to a player who is focusing on finding his own form and fitness after barely kicking a ball for the best part of a year is a mental decision. Like I said there is no clear and obvious candidate for the captaincy so at this point it would just be a case of change for changes sake.

2 hours ago, SIRB_72 said:

People can moan about Tav and continue to act like he's the reason for anything bad that happens to us. And yes he was shite yesterday along with the other 15 players that played yesterday

The fact is in the last 4-6 weeks he's been our outstanding performer and if it wasnt for his contributions we wouldnt be 4 points ahead in the league.

In the last 7 games he's scored 2 goals and had 6 assists. If he's not leading by example I'm not seeing anyone else that is!

He had another assist for Martin Boyle yesterday,does that one go into his bank account also .

33 minutes ago, molesmole said:

Step Forward Filip Helander

28, here for the next few years  

Leader, Warrior, Rock

Capped for his Country.

Played in Serie A

We are missing the big yin badly at the moment, can't come back quickly enough, imo he's vital to the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, Zappa6995 said:

He had another assist for Martin Boyle yesterday,does that one go into his bank account also .

He was poor yesterday, so were the other 15 players that played!

He assumed, along with Kamara, that Balogun would win that ball which wasnt right, poor defending no doubt!

There are probably 2 or 3 who are more suited, in my eyes, to be our captain.

However Ryan Jack will more than likely be nursing another injury in 10 games time. Arfield isn't a starter 50% of the time and the same should apply to Davis.

Tav got the armband when his postion was under no threat so would start nearly 100% of our games. That's should not be the case now.

He can remain club captain, but let's not pick him for that alone. Goldson probably shows more traits of a captain but his heads elsewhere by the looks of it.

Come summer I expect someone new to be handed the armband

Never understood Tav being captain tbh, but I’m not sure stripping him of captaincy, when we currently don’t have an obvious alternative, would be positive to the mindset of the team. GVB needs to lift the players and instil confidence that’s clearly lacking atm. He needs to start with the captain. 

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Changes to this team are coming. I hope you are not too disappointed when it happens.

Nice way to swerve the point. Change is inevitable but it’s not going to happen mid season and it’s not going to be somebody already at the club who gets the armband.

10 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Not swerving the point. Ryan Jack is rarely a liability. James Tavernier often costs us goals. You can't have a captain who is a liability. This argument has went on too long for it not to have some merit.

Glenn Kamara is never a liability but he shouldn’t get the armband either. Jack has been a key player in a side which has failed several times too. Putting a piece of elastic around his arm isn’t going to suddenly make him become this all conquering leader who drives the team on to win games that they wouldn’t have before. The captaincy might change in the summer but there’s nobody at the club worthy of taking it from Tav right now.