Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

10 minutes ago, EMRFC said:

Our manager doesn’t have a philosophy… I have no idea what our team sets out to do when we get on the pitch.

Yeah don't see what gio is trying to do. Players don't seem to know either what they are meant to be doing. 

That lot much as I hate saying it are much more well drilled than us the now. They have a system of play and roles are known. 

It's a total swap from last season.

I hate to say who else will we go for, as we shouldn't base our decision to keep or replace a manager, on the alternatives available.

However it does need to be considered. One of the main things for me is we don't just need a competent manager. We need a manager who "gets it"

As an ex player, surely Gio knows what it means, and what it takes to be a manager or player for Rangers.

For that reason I would give him more time

Just now, BlueKnight87 said:

Yeah don't see what gio is trying to do. Players don't seem to know either what they are meant to be doing. 

That lot much as I hate saying it are much more well drilled than us the now. They have a system of player and roles are known. 

It's a total swap from last season.

11 players desperate to win the title (backed with a half decent manager)

Vs

11 players, with a pish manager trying to retain a title

The difference is clear 

30 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

I never said gio was to blame today.

I said both him and the players need to take the blame. It doesn't need to be one or the other here. 

Yes these players have history, yes they have bottled it before and they deserve criticism for it.

Gio however can't just be giving a free pass. He needs to take blame as well for the position we are now in.

But the point is that if the players failed under gerrard, and are failing under gio, how can he be blamed enough to the point where he is sacked before being able to disassemble this squad and build his own

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

No but maybe it proves that the players are to blame and not either manager

Problem is it’s harder to replace a squad of shitebag players than a manager.

The thing that I thought was a negative from this season may turn out to work in our favour i.e. lots of players contracts expiring this summer.

5 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Right but the board never and he turned it around didnt he, yet here we are wanting gio sacked for a similar record 

So are u suggesting we give every manager 2/3/4 years to build a squad to win a si gle title. I mean 1 trophy in the last 10 years or so, and a title at that is grim. Fuck letting them win maybe 6 or 7 out the next 8 titles just because the manager needs time when they have proven that's not the case 

5 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Right but the board never and he turned it around didnt he, yet here we are wanting gio sacked for a similar record 

If the season didn't get canned he would've walked. Don't think this board have sacked anyone in their puff.

32 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

You don’t directly blame Gerrard but you always find a way to negatively work him into the conversation after any sort of bad result while seemingly absolving Gio of any blame or responsibility for them.

It’ll be interesting to see what approach you take next season when we have new players in and you don’t have Gerrard as a boogeyman and you can’t revert to your constant “aye but Gerrard” and “whataboutery” whenever Gio’s managerial ability and results are called in to question. 

The reason for that is that people are sitting here slaughtering gio for a record that gerrard had with the same players, 

And like it or not gio has managed this team to a result that not even gerrard managed to accomplish in his time here (EL last 16)

If gio is indeed clueless because of the results with these players what does that make the previous manager who, bar one unorthodox and never been seen before seaaon behind closed doors, had the same type of results and performances with the same group

What gerrard clueless? Was he hopeless? Should he have been sacked when covid hit? 

1 minute ago, rabc10000 said:

So are u suggesting we give every manager 2/3/4 years to build a squad to win a si gle title. I mean 1 trophy in the last 10 years or so, and a title at that is grim. Fuck letting them win maybe 6 or 7 out the next 8 titles just because the manager needs time when they have proven that's not the case 

Nope, the board will need to front load gio or whoever it is in the summer, patterson money, any other player sales, they need to go baws out like the tarriers did

But we cannot say that gio should be binned after 5 months when his predecessor overseen similar collapses in 2 out of 3 seasons here

7 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

No but maybe it proves that the players are to blame and not either manager

The reality of football is you can’t just sack a whole squad, and we certainly don’t have the money to do so. It’s not letting the players of the hook and I think the squad needs to change in the summer but the buck stops with the manager and we can’t go into a new season with someone in charge who isn’t good enough 

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Nope, the board will need to front load gio or whoever it is in the summer, patterson money, any other player sales, they need to go baws out like the tarriers did

But we cannot say that gio should be binned after 5 months when his predecessor overseen similar collapses in 2 out of 3 seasons here

Can we really afford to us the big question. 

19 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

If the same shitebags are here next season and GVB isn’t, we still don’t win the league.

There’s been a common denominator for the past few seasons, and it isn’t GVB.

2 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

The reality of football is you can’t just sack a whole squad, and we certainly don’t have the money to do so. It’s not letting the players of the hook and I think the squad needs to change in the summer but the buck stops with the manager and we can’t go into a new season with someone in charge who isn’t good enough 

And how do you know gio isnt good enough when he is working with a squad of players that have proved they arent good enough

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

And how do you know gio isnt good enough when he is working with a squad of players that have proved they arent good enough

He's overseen a decent albeit not unassailable lead at the top turn into the league being over the first few days in April. That’s how I know 

So I've kept quiet on this thread cause I didn't want to give my knee jerk opinion ten seconds after the final whistle.

Having thought about it, I would rather we kept Gio but wouldn't be too gutted if he left. I think it's harsh to put it all down to him when he came in halfway through a season with someone else's team. I also think a lot of the dropped points have been fuck all to do with the manager but big players making big cunts of it, Ross County for instance. I think he deserves next season to recruit his own players and have his own season set up.

One man who should be questioned should be Ross Wilson. We've played the same formation with the same style for four years which has relied heavily on a sole no.9 who runs the channels and mixes it up with defenders. He's given us nothing close to a striker who replicates that and what Morelos does along with multiple atrocious signings with zero sell on value.

Ps. I wish cunts would stop talking about Gerrard. He is a rat bastard who fucked us over. Let his name die now.

Just now, Bronzy said:

Don’t particularly want GVB to leave, but if he did decide to go at the end of the season, I’d go for Kjetil Knutsen.

Seems to be very good at finding talented players and winning leagues with a small budget.

If he decides 🤣

Cunt doesn't even deserve the chance to decide, he's been pumped twice off an unknown Aussie & will potentially lose the title by miles, on current form I wouldn't be surprised if its double figures

As it stands, Gio will be lucky to ever have another managerial role after us, he deserves fuck all