Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

Just now, esquire8 said:

If his remit doesn't include winning the title then he will be around much longer than fans would like.

If his remit doesn't include winning a league then we need to go to the gates and demand resignations from whoever gave him that remit.

Our standards cannot be allowed to fall to accepting second fiddle in this backwater league.

18 minutes ago, scottyc06 said:

You might be right, he’s said otherwise though! Regardless, last years team, at 6 points ahead should have been good enough to win the league! 

He said otherwise on the eve of this game, anything else would have been a media shit storm. 

Last year he should have won the league, agreed. The capitulation from that season was coming as well though. We were awful last season under Gerrard and only built up a lead because they had their worst ever start to a campaign. 

2 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

When the title is no longer a possibility he needs punted.

100 percent mate, get a manager in who can start working.  we need a manager who has a forward thinking style.  i really hope Gio can turn it around but i think he is to stubborn for that. 

its just not todays game, yes its tipped us over the edge but its been all season our style is hard to watch and this was in the post. and he keeps sticking with it. 

2 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

If his remit doesn't include winning the title then he will be around much longer than fans would like.

That’s the worry if he's getting them 20 million minimum per season they won't worry about the title. 

I'd sack him tonight btw because I don't believe he can win us the league. 

Just going to leave this here...

On 08/11/2021 at 16:10, SIRB_72 said:

Seen some decent names mentioned and some not so decent names mentioned.

One I haven't seen is Serhiy Rebrov. He has a fantastic track record with Dynamo Kiev and Ferencvaros domestically and in Europe. 

With Dynamo, before last season, he was the only manager to win them any titles (two in a row) since 2009. In the league his win rate was 82% with both seasons combined and lost 1 game in 52. In his first full season he also took Dynamo to the QF of the Europa League and were level on aggregate before a sending off away to Fiorentina. In his second season he took Dynamo to the L16 in the CL getting knocked out by Man City. 

All this in a league that is arguably stronger than our own, in effectively a two horse and smashed the competition by winning consitently along with doing extremely well in Europe. From what I can tell it was with what he was given as well.

We've all seen what he's done with Ferencvaros. In his three seasons there he won the league by 13 points, 13 points again and then 20 points. Similar to his time at Dynamo, Ferencvaros had won one league title in 15 years before his arrival.

in Europe he was extremely impressive, like Gerrard. In his first season they were out of Europe before he joined, in his second they missed on the CL after losing to Dinamo Zagreb but got Ferencvaros to their first European group stage in 15 years. In his third and final season we know what he did do to a certain team but more importantly got Ferencvaros to the CL group stages for the first time in their history.

In between Dynamo and Ferencvaros he took a spell in Saudi Arabia, presumably for the pay day, and has now taken a job in the UAE, no doubt for the same reasons. However, his pedigree domestically and in Europe is too good to ignore. I also suspect due to his 4/5 years in England he has a decent grasp of the language along with how British football works.

34 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Because he's got enough credit in the back after last season and even this season. I also don't believe he was backed anywhere near enough to catch the scum. 

His tactics were awful today and he's got a lot of ground to make up for after today but I don't think it would make any sense to sack him right now. 

He does have credit for European performances and the Scottish Cup win. 

But he also has 1 league collapse under his belt already and is now 5 points behind this season. 

The board won't sack him anytime soon. 

But if that gap starts to get any bigger the credit he has runs out quickly and fan support turns on him. 

13 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Sitting here watching villa wishing we had Mr Gerrard he'd sort this shit show. He's still a cunt tho mind 🤣

The downfall started with that fucking rat traitor. 

His refusal to sell to bring in players saw us lose out on the Champions league and we lucked a 6 point gap because they were having their worst ever start to a season. 

3 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

He does have credit for European performances and the Scottish Cup win. 

But he also has 1 league collapse under his belt already and is now 5 points behind this season. 

The board won't sack him anytime soon. 

But if that gap starts to get any bigger the credit he has runs out quickly and fan support turns on him. 

That league collapse was coming regardless of who the manager was. Gio's new manager bounce stalled it a couple of months back. 

Doing fuck all after 55 is the reason we are where we are. 

2 minutes ago, 2nd Flute said:

Gio won't be winning us any league, everyone has seen his boring, ultra defensive football and hoped that it would eventually bring us results, it won't, wouldn't be surprised if we got a draw against Ajax, the we'll go to Aberdeen and drop points, playing defensive football against absolute garbage. 

His brand is honking for our league. Teams have us sussed and we pay them far too much respect.

19 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

The thing that is really worrying me is that today's result and performance followed the same pattern that has been going on since the start of the season.

Literally every game bar Ross County has been an utter slog, with our away games being doubly horrific to watch even when we get a result. That is simply unsustainable over the course of a season, as we saw several times last season and now again today.

Gio has been here since last November, so really something should have changed by now. The fact it hasn't suggests it never will, sadly.

You know shits bad when Bronzy, who’s usually the most optimistic of optimists, is having doubts 😞 

7 minutes ago, King Jela said:

The downfall started with that fucking rat traitor. 

His refusal to sell to bring in players saw us lose out on the Champions league and we lucked a 6 point gap because they were having their worst ever start to a season. 

We don't go to parkhead twice in 7 months and be 3 down at HT tho it just doesn't happen 

3 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

We don't go to parkhead twice in 7 months and be 3 down at HT tho it just doesn't happen 

The result at Parkhead didn't cost us the league last year. Dropping points to Motherwell, Hearts, Aberdeen, Ross County and Dundee United are what cost us the league and they all came from a stale squad that needed work done after 55, which the board/Gerrard refused. 

We've spent £10 million this summer while the fat man's spending is over 40 million.