Was last night bigger than 55?

BallochBear

I would say it was less about 55 and more about stopping their 10, protecting our history, that being said that's just the parochial nature of football, being a good European team in the Champions League is where its at, it's what makes you look like a serious football club.

15 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

I would say it was less about 55 and more about stopping their 10, protecting our history, that being said that's just the parochial nature of football, being a good European team in the Champions League is where its at, it's what makes you look like a serious football club.

🥴

We weren’t exactly spilling on to the streets and overtaking George square for Wednesday night which kind of gives you the answer. I know there was lockdown and restrictions back then but even if their wasn’t I think we would have still seen Glasgow being overtaken for 55 regardless. 

Wednesday night was massive and amazing. It can’t be compared to the emotional release 55 brought out in us all though. 

55 was bigger both for what it meant and financial and longer term implications. Because if we hadn’t got 55 I don’t think this qualification would have been possible for starters. Or the Seville run. And honestly the gap after might have meant it could have been several years before we could have won the league. 

This felt so sweet though. Seville was so gutting. Part of that was because of the prize of the Champions league. It’s really softened the blow for me. 

3 hours ago, OrangeRab said:

55 was bigger both for what it meant and financial and longer term implications. Because if we hadn’t got 55 I don’t think this qualification would have been possible for starters. Or the Seville run. And honestly the gap after might have meant it could have been several years before we could have won the league. 

This felt so sweet though. Seville was so gutting. Part of that was because of the prize of the Champions league. It’s really softened the blow for me. 

All of this is correct. Without 55 none of the rest happens.

The thing about 55 is for the rest of Europe it showed RFC could win a title in a two team backwater league. Seville and now the CL has restored RFC as a club to be reckoned with in Europe. Five years ago after Progress our UEFA coefficient was 0.250. Today it is 54.000, 28th in Europe and 24th in the CL. Our coefficient is higher than Milan’s, by a fair bit. We are seasoned European battlers and a pedigreed European team again. Nobody wanted to draw us yesterday. Nobody would have preferred drawing us rather than a team that went out of all three European competitions last year, the third to Bodo/Glimt.

I think as a club we have to constantly revise our goals but should always be moving forward so comparison is not always helpful.

At the time, 55 was imperative. It laid a marker down the we were back as a club and stopped the 10. But we move on and achieve new goals. It was clear from last year that we are a Champions League club. The run to the final was outstanding and when we didn’t qualify automatically by winning it raises the spectre of another year in the Europa league. We should be there every year but this qualification is so important for us, financially yes but also shows the progression, improvement and journey is continuing. 

I think each was an step to proving to ourselves that we were hitting the mark as winners. 55 proved we were good enough to win the league, the fall out from them was heaping joy apon joy. Us getting progressively better each year in Europe showed us we were getting better against the better European sides, and was objective verification to us of our improvement against better clubs than in Scotland. Each step was vital and propelled us forward to the next step. We are now in the Champions League and we need to keep moving forward as the job is not done yet.

2 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

Based on the fact that 55 was pretty much in the bag months in advance, I'd say that Helicopter Sunday surpasses it for sheer Yassness.

Didn't read the main point really but liking for use of the word Yassness.

On occasion I will scream yass, often accompanied by an aggressive punching of the air. The screaming of the yass and the punching of the air are an established combination, occurring almost exclusively whilst viewing football contests.