Next Manager Discussion Thread

superallysbears

The more I think about Dyche, the more it makes sense.

People are fair to judge him purely on his premier league style, but to be successful in Scotland, you have to be a proven winner, and show consistency.

There are not many more challenging leagues to do that than the championship, and he was more than capable of that time after time.

If you offered me him against Beale, I’d take Dyche. Happy enough to give Beale the shot too, but Dyche is the man for me.

Just now, The Dude said:

The budget is one of the first thing ANY manager is going to ask about. Thomson literally says that he 'disagrees' any manager would want to know the budget before accepting the job and if he was in charge, he wouldn't appoint them.

Then he went off on some tangent about what Walter did when he returned, ignoring the part that Walter had a wee bit more of an attachment to the club than the names currently being linked.

Doesn't really work when he said it in a recorded interview for a podcast :lol:

I think it's pretty obvious that any manager would be interested in budgets. Particularly to someone who has managed clubs before like KT. Maybe he didn't articulate his point immaculately but I'm surprised any Rangers supporter would wilfully misunderstand what he meant, like English did, when it's pretty clear that the point he was trying to make is anyone primarily concerned with budgets isn't of the right temperament for the job. I imagine it was also partly a dig at GVB's comments re: relative CL budgets. The next manager will have to close the gap between us and them with a smaller budget - just like Walter did (and Gerrard for that matter) - and that's why he mentioned Smith. 

1 minute ago, rangersross said:

I think it's pretty obvious that any manager would be interested in budgets. Particularly to someone who has managed clubs before like KT. Maybe he didn't articulate his point immaculately but I'm surprised any Rangers supporter would wilfully misunderstand what he meant, like English did, when it's pretty clear that the point he was trying to make is anyone primarily concerned with budgets isn't of the right temperament for the job. I imagine it was also partly a dig at GVB's comments re: relative CL budgets. The next manager will have to close the gap between us and them with a smaller budget - just like Walter did (and Gerrard for that matter) - and that's why he mentioned Smith. 

So when Thomson literally says 'If I'm at the top of Rangers and somebody had those doubts and wanted to know about the budget and wanted to know about this and wanted to know about that, they're not the man for the job' he actually meant something totally different?

Just now, OrangeRab said:

“I know we had Pedro but have we ever been linked with any other African managers?“

“He's from Qatar he just sounds Portuguese cos he worked there for a while”

Ha what’s going on here

What's confusing you about what I said?

Just now, The Dude said:

So when Thomson literally says 'If I'm at the top of Rangers and somebody had those doubts and wanted to know about the budget and wanted to know about this and wanted to know about that, they're not the man for the job' he actually meant something totally different?

Do you genuinely think Kevin Thomson, who has spent his life around football and had managerial experience himself, believes a manager should - or even could - avoid knowledge of available budgets before taking a job? Or, more broadly, do you think a purely literal interpretation of a transcribed interview with multiple people having a heated debate is sufficient to accurately reflect what they meant to express?