Would you want Morelos and Kent to stay?

NorthernLights

1 hour ago, STEPPS BOY said:

You can’t pick and choose when you have faith in the recruitment team at club.

Keeping a player just because you don’t think Wilson/Beale can come up with a replacement is beyond fucking ludicrous.

I’d write down in order the positions that need changing/strengthened most. 

So for me it would be

GK

CB (athletic to play high press)

CM

Striker

Rw

Lw

Something like that. You have £15 million to spend. So logically you prioritise those funds at the top of the list. Because that’s where the highest additional value is going to come from. 

McGregor is basically like a 4/10 for us. So with £3 million. It’s a pretty safe bet that you’re going to upgrade that position.

Kent is call it a 7/10. Why would you waste any of the funds when you already have 6 other positions to fill. And getting an improvement on a decent player like Kent. Is much more difficult than getting a better gk than a 41 year old. 

limit case- Let’s say your best player is going to leave for free. In theory you could get somebody better. But a) the odds are low. And b) the marginal improvement is so much lower. If you sign an 8/10 to replace a 4/10. You gain 4. If you sign an 8/10 to replace a 7/10 you gain 1. Not to mention finding 8/10 wingers is more difficult!

Or said another way. Let’s say there’s a 50% chance any player is a 4/10 or 50% a 8/10. If you have a 4/10 already then replace him. Worst case you’re no worse off. Best case you have an 8/10.

But if the player is a 7/10. 50% chance you get a small improvement. 50% chance you get a Matondo and you’ve lost the league. You can still win the league with Kent if you upgrade a lot of the other necessary positions. You can’t if you’re starting Matondo each week

2 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

I’d write down in order the positions that need changing/strengthened most. 

So for me it would be

GK

CB (athletic to play high press)

CM

Striker

Rw

Lw

Something like that. You have £15 million to spend. So logically you prioritise those funds at the top of the list. Because that’s where the highest additional value is going to come from. 

McGregor is basically like a 4/10 for us. So with £3 million. It’s a pretty safe bet that you’re going to upgrade that position.

Kent is call it a 7/10. Why would you waste any of the funds when you already have 6 other positions to fill. And getting an improvement on a decent player like Kent. Is much more difficult than getting a better gk than a 41 year old. 

limit case- Let’s say your best player is going to leave for free. In theory you could get somebody better. But a) the odds are low. And b) the marginal improvement is so much lower. If you sign an 8/10 to replace a 4/10. You gain 4. If you sign an 8/10 to replace a 7/10 you gain 1. Not to mention finding 8/10 wingers is more difficult!

At this moment in time, 3/4s into the season,  the tarriers forwards have scored 71 goals this season.

Our Forwards have scored 34.

How do we bridge that gap with Ryan Kent still part of our front 3?

21 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

You're disregarding the eye test.

The difference Kent offers to us in terms of all round play is clear to anyone with at least one.

Eye tests

secondary assists

I can’t imagine what’s next on the list.

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

At this moment in time, 3/4s into the season,  the tarriers forwards have scored 71 goals this season.

Our Forwards have scored 34.

How do we bridge that gap with Ryan Kent still part of our front 3?

Are we playing the game again where we ignore the different styles. Are tav and Barasic world class because they have 3 times the goal contributions that their full backs have? 

For starters signing a mobile GK and CB. And playing a high press. Would yield a fuck load more goals. Most of celtics goals are a result of their system, press, fitness and coaching. Maeda isn’t scoring worldies each week. Sort the rest of the team out. And the goals will come. (But yes I’d improve Sakala and Morelos)

Big professional clubs will be using metrics like expected assists to help them make decisions on players and the role they could play in a team. The time has moved on relying solely on some guy in the stands with a sheepskin coat with a pen and notepad. The recruitment of players will be highly data and stat driven at the top end.

Just now, OrangeRab said:

Are we playing the game again where we ignore the different styles. Are tav and Barasic world class because they have 3 times the goal contributions that their full backs have? 

For starters signing a mobile GK and CB. And playing a high press. Would yield a fuck load more goals. Most of celtics goals are a result of their system, press, fitness and coaching. Maeda isn’t scoring worldies each week. Sort the rest of the team out. And the goals will come. (But yes I’d improve Sakala and Morelos)

No idea why you’re on about Tav and Barisic being world class tbh.

So all we need to do to get more goals from Ryan Kent is change the goalkeeper, change the Centre half, change the tactics, get better coaching and better fitness.

Sounds good. Cannot wait.

3 minutes ago, CoplandStandBear said:

Big professional clubs will be using metrics like expected assists to help them make decisions on players and the role they could play in a team. The time has moved on relying solely on some guy in the stands with a sheepskin coat with a pen and notepad. The recruitment of players will be highly data and stat driven at the top end.

Absolutely amazing that every time you go on about stats you miss out the one about Goals.

What’s Ryan Kents XG stats for past two seasons? 

12 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

A more mobile goalkeeper will help the under performing forwards score more :lol: 

That's this place jumped the shark

No doubt it’s gone over your head. Why do you think celtic play a higher defensive line than us? It’s because they have 2 fast CB and a gk that is comfortable with ball at feet and can move forward to be a sweeper (see Alison, Ederson) Although Hart is shaky as fuck at times. 

And the CB they have signed have all deliberately been in that mould.

It’s coaching 101 to play a high press. If you play a high defensive line then when your front 3 press, the gaps between your 3 lines are much smaller. Gives the opposition much less time on the ball. Idea is you win the ball back higher up the park and catch teams out of position.(Like when Kent got disposed by Mooy I think it was). And your wingers can play much higher and get into the box more 

The advantage of that is it also gives you much higher possession and tires teams out. With higher possession you can sprint more out of possession.

Blah blah blah. 

The counter to that is you can get done over the top. If we tried to play like celtic do. One ball over the top. And all the striker needs to do is out pace Davies and it’s a goal. McGregor ain’t coming for shit.

This is why Beale needs time. And it’s taken managers like Klopp and Arteta a few years to implement their style and recruit the players (eg VVD) to play the system. 

And yes it absolutely can result in more goals. And if you don’t understand tactics or words. Then pull up some heat maps if visuals are your thing

1 minute ago, OrangeRab said:

No doubt it’s gone over your head. Why do you think celtic play a higher defensive line than us? It’s because they have 2 fast CB and a gk that is comfortable with ball at feet and can move forward to be a sweeper (see Alison, Ederson) Although Hart is shaky as fuck at times. 

And the CB they have signed have all deliberately been in that mould.

It’s coaching 101 to play a high press. If you play a high defensive line then when your front 3 press, the gaps between your 3 lines are much smaller. Gives the opposition much less time on the ball. Idea is you win the ball back higher up the park and catch teams out of position.(Like when Kent got disposed by Mooy I think it was). And your wingers can play much higher and get into the box more 

The advantage of that is it also gives you much higher possession and tires teams out. With higher possession you can sprint more out of possession.

Blah blah blah. 

The counter to that is you can get done over the top. If we tried to play like celtic do. One ball over the top. And all the striker needs to do is out pace Davies and it’s a goal. McGregor ain’t coming for shit.

This is why Beale needs time. And it’s taken managers like Klopp and Arteta a few years to implement their style and recruit the players (eg VVD) to play the system. 

And yes it absolutely can result in more goals

I've only read the first sentence here, Pep, but aye it has gone over my head. The reason Kent has such a disgraceful goal return is because he is a terrible finisher.

3 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

I've only read the first sentence here, Pep, but aye it has gone over my head. The reason Kent has such a disgraceful goal return is because he is a terrible finisher.

It’s all good. When Beale signs us a new GK, CB and a new striker. We’ll be suffocating teams, Kent will be contributing and we will win the league 

1 minute ago, OrangeRab said:

It’s all good. When Beale signs us a new GK, CB and a new striker. We’ll be suffocating teams, Kent will be contributing and we will win the league 

How will the new keeper and centre back improve his finishing?

3 hours ago, Ibroxholm said:

I think it’s probably time for both of them to go their own way.  By not signing by now, they have indicated that they’re not fully committed to us going forward (and we’ve known that with Morelos for a few years now).  I think signing Goldson last year has made a rod for our back because players now perceive that they can sit it out, field all other offers, and have us sitting in the wings as a back up.  We can’t keep doing this, not knowing if they’re signing or not to half way through the close season.  We need to make decisions early on their replacements.

Get banners made up, so both players see it on Saturday, kent and morelos, sign the contract and show commitnebt or ship out.

This is the approach we need to start taking. Its tough but wr cant continue as we are.

I want rid of them both.

Ross wilson spectacular, 20 million for the pair of them 18 months ago.

Dont think anyone would take morelos unless its a free.

4 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

His finishing is woeful, however I also think getting more direct passing and energy in midfield would help Kent (and the all the forwards) numbers. At the moment our passing from midfield is slow, measured and to feet meaning the front 3 more often than not are receiving the ball from a standing start facing a defence that have had time to set themselves.  Get the ball moving to them quicker and played into space (coupled with runners from midfield that break the lines and drag defenders out of place) and I think we would be getting better returns from our forwards.

If keeping Kent on improved terms meant there was more money for recruiting elsewhere in the squad (where the need is greater) I would be fine with that, however I would also be looking for a long term replacement.  We already have a number of players who apparently played their best football elsewhere in left wing / left sided forward roles - if they haven’t been moved on I would really like to see some rotation and different players used out there (but that is a bigger discussion that applies to a number of players not just Kent).

Barry Ferguson in the Record saying McGregor needs kept so that we don't have to worry about having a top class goalkeeper.

Finger on the pulse that guy.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/barry-ferguson-predicts-rangers-transfer-29348762

"Allan McGregor for me is a no-brainer. That takes away the worry of trying to get a top class goalkeeper."

Tarrier twitter account but what was Kent even trying in that clip? We actually have supporters that want to see more of that from Kent? 

3  goals so far this season from Kent after 4 last year. Absolutely fucking no chance should we be keeping him and it'd be a red neck from him even accepting a new deal, never mind us even offering one. 

7 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Barry Ferguson in the Record saying McGregor needs kept so that we don't have to worry about having a top class goalkeeper.

Finger on the pulse that guy.

https://Copy & Paste This Shite..../sport/football/football-news/barry-ferguson-predicts-Rangers-transfer-29348762

"Allan McGregor for me is a no-brainer. That takes away the worry of trying to get a top class goalkeeper."

Genuinely hate Barry Ferguson