General Transfer Talk

Broxi

50 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

McCrorie is a no brainer for me if the wages are to be utilised on a top striker.....if we get a better defence then for the league McCrorie will be fine based on what I have saw.....we qualified for the champions league with McLaughlin so no reason to suggest we wouldn't manage it with McCrorie 

Isn't that an argument for the reason we shouldn't just make McCrorie our number one? McLaughlin looked fine in a handful of games but then it became clear he wasn't good enough and was dropped.

McCrorie may well go on to be great, but we have no idea if he will as he's only played a couple games and had very little to do.

If we go into next year with McCrorie as our number one and he goes the same way as McLaughlin did this year then the league's done before we've even started.

2 minutes ago, Broxi said:

The numbers I put were conservative/bare minimum we should hope for. In reality I think Hagi probably leaves for £3m this summer. Don't see a team paying £5m and I don't see us trying to hold out for it either tbh

With maybe the exception of Galatasaray. They might pay the highest.

9 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

The Turks will pay £5M for Hagi.

Why? Because his dad played there?  Don't see us buying Lewis Ferguson for £5m  - not  that I don't like Hagi but Tilman is a much better player and folk saying wouldn't pay £5m for him. (£4.5m for Tilman at this point in his career is about right, and about £2.5m for Hagi I'd say were fair)

Just now, onlythestrongsurvive said:

Why? Because his dad played there?  Don't see us buying Lewis Ferguson for £5m  - not  that I don't like Hagi but Tilman is a much better player and folk saying wouldn't pay £5m for him. (£4.5m for Tilman at this point in his career is about right, and about £2.5m for Hagi I'd say were fair)

If we can sell Hagi for £3m+ I'd be a lot more onboard with signing Tillman for £5-6m.

If we can't it's harder to justify.

2 minutes ago, onlythestrongsurvive said:

If we could get Ferguson for £5m it would probably be a fucking bargain.

53 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Don’t expect much in sales income tbh.

Barisic, Kamara, Colak, Davies might bring in 8-10m?

Thats the best we can hope for.

The world knows we’re having a house clearance and will want bargain prices.

Id be happy bringing in 10m and have 25m to spend tbh.

54 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Don’t expect much in sales income tbh.

Barisic, Kamara, Colak, Davies might bring in 8-10m?

Thats the best we can hope for.

The world knows we’re having a house clearance and will want bargain prices.

I would consider £10m in sales significant. That's more than we've made in sales in 99% of our windows.

7 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

McCrorie has done really well in his games so far, but I think it’s a massive jump to go from where he is now, to the stick on number one. 

We need a keeper in who can properly compete with him, not a back up or a reserve in the McLaughlin mould.

Mcgregor did it back when he became number 1

23 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

Isn't that an argument for the reason we shouldn't just make McCrorie our number one? McLaughlin looked fine in a handful of games but then it became clear he wasn't good enough and was dropped.

McCrorie may well go on to be great, but we have no idea if he will as he's only played a couple games and had very little to do.

If we go into next year with McCrorie as our number one and he goes the same way as McLaughlin did this year then the league's done before we've even started.

No....my point is what I've seen in McCrorie makes him good levels above McLaughlin, to win the league we need to score more goals than we have been doing.....McCrorie imho won't be a defining reason for not winning the league.....better strikers with better goal returns will win us the league.....McCrorie has played 3 league games and has looked sure and composed in the 3 games (2 v celtic) I think the lad deserves his shot....spend the reported 25k-30k for Butland on a striker.....free up the Morelos & Kent wages and we have roughly around 80k in wages for a new front 3.....that for me is far more important for me at this stage

25 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

No....my point is what I've seen in McCrorie makes him good levels above McLaughlin, to win the league we need to score more goals than we have been doing.....McCrorie imho won't be a defining reason for not winning the league.....better strikers with better goal returns will win us the league.....McCrorie has played 3 league games and has looked sure and composed in the 3 games (2 v celtic) I think the lad deserves his shot....spend the reported 25k-30k for Butland on a striker.....free up the Morelos & Kent wages and we have roughly around 80k in wages for a new front 3.....that for me is far more important for me at this stage

I think that massively downplays the risk. As an example, with McGregor in goals we’ve conceded close to an extra 10 goals from inside our 6 yard box than the average because he can’t move his feet. That’s potentially league deciding.

If McCrorie is as good as he’s shown for 5 games we don’t have a problem. But you can see the risk if he isn’t.

That’s before you factor in how a keeper can effect your attacking and defensive play style from how high you can press to how you play out from the back

34 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

The issue I see is that yes, he's looked decent in the 2 games he's played this season, but it's just 2 games and he wasn't really tested in either of them. He only had one save to make on Saturday.

McLaughlin looked decent in a handful of low-pressure games but failed when he stepped up to be number one. This is the same situation, but McCrorie has even less experience. Hell, Matondo looked great in his first 2 games for us. 

A few low-pressure games with the league already over isn't going to tell us whether he's good enough, but going into next season relying on him is asking for trouble. 

1 hour ago, Somemightsay7 said:

Issue is though say we bring in Butland and he is fine; going to your line of argument we don’t see whether McCrorie will be good enough to be our no. 1 / better than Butland as we will only see him in a couple of cup games a year or loan him out but then we are having to bring in 2 goalies (who could both potentially be our no. 1) to cover off injuries / 1 being pish.

Given what I have seen so far in his limited time I would be comfortable with him as no. 1 with an experienced back up but can totally understand the opposite point of view that it is a massive risk given he has played so little.

Really just another example of where we have totally fucked ourselves last summer by not grabbing the bull by the horns by either not renewing McGregor’s contract or as soon as he did renew getting McCrorie out on loan to as high a level as we could to see if he could cut it.

Just now, rossco87 said:

Really just another example of where we have totally fucked ourselves last summer by not grabbing the bull by the horns by either not renewing McGregor’s contract or as soon as he did renew getting McCrorie out on loan to as high a level as we could to see if he could cut it.

McCrorie should have become number one earlier in the season when McGregor was shown to be shite. That would have told us whether he could make it or not.

Just now, Somemightsay7 said:

McCrorie should have become number one earlier in the season when McGregor was shown to be shite. That would have told us whether he could make it or not.

That would have been ideal but think he has been fairly hampered with injuries this season?