Jim McAlister Wins Tribunal

Not like us to lose a legal case. From the Record

Rangers ordered to pay former kitman Jim McAlister £13,000 after unfair sacking

The ex Dundee and Greenock Morton midfielder - a lifelong Gers fan - won a legal battle against the club he dramatically hung up his boots for three years ago.

Rangers chiefs have been ordered to pay former kitman Jim McAlister almost £13,000 after he was unfairly sacked.

The ex Dundee and Greenock Morton midfielder - a lifelong Gers fan - won a legal battle against the club he dramatically hung up his boots for three years ago.

The 38-year-old is now working with Steven Gerrard’s Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia in another behind the scenes position.

But an employment tribunal in Glasgow has found Ibrox chiefs liable for McAlister’s “unfair dismissal”, saying they were in “breach of contract” over his departure last year.

Meanwhile, sources said the ex footballer was “devastated” to be sacked by the club he’s supported his whole life “for no apparent reason”.

McAlister, who grew up on the Isle of Bute, made over 350 appearances for Morton over two spells at Cappielow and also played for Hamilton, Dundee and Blackpool.

He played two seasons in the top flight over a three-year stay with Dundee and won each of the three lower-league titles in Scotland.

But in 2021 McAlister announced his shock retirement from playing, with the club saying he was quitting “to pursue a career elsewhere”.

It was later revealed that the former Morton skipper was moving to Rangers to work off the field for his boyhood heroes.

That opportunity was initially reported to be a logistics role behind the scenes at the Rangers’ training centre, involving working with long-serving Ibrox kitman Jimmy Bell.

But the legendary Gers’ kitman’s passed away in 2022 and McAlister assumed full responsibilities.

He was understood to have left Ibrox in July last year and the circumstances around his departure were never confirmed, but we reported in September how ex-Rangers boss Gerrard was looking to add McAlister to his back room team in the Middle East.

The former Liverpool FC legend is understood to have approached the former kitman to take over as kit coordinator with his Saudi Pro League side, where he is currently based.

No further details have been published by the employment tribunal on the circumstances of McAlister’s unfair dismissal, with the judgement stating that Rangers made no appearance at a hearing on December 14 and filed no defence to the action.

McAlister represented himself during proceedings.

A leading employment lawyer who advised in the case said: “Mr McAlister was left devastated by his shock dismissal from Rangers, whom he’d supported all his life, as well as the treatment he received from the club. 

“Their conduct regarding protocols and procedures prior to the employment tribunal left a lot to be desired. 

“The fact they offered no defence and had no representation at the hearing is indicative of that.”

A judgement on the financial award handed down following the hearing said: “The claimant’s claim of unfair dismissal is well founded and succeeds.

“The claimant’s claim of breach of contract by failing to give him notice of dismissal is well founded and succeeds.”

The club was ordered to pay £8,728 compensation for unfair dismissal and a further £1,572 for breach of contract within 28 days.

The tribunal also found Rangers had “unreasonably failed to comply” with disciplinary and grievance procedures and ordered an increase in compensation of £2,575.

22 minutes ago, left winger said:

Bisgrove’s doing if you believe FF.

Empire pretty much confirmed McAllister wasn't a fan of Bisgrove and Bisgrove decided to be a prick to him as soon as he became CEO. The decision supposedly made Jimmy Bells family remove all of the memorabilia he left from the training ground. 

3 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Empire pretty much confirmed McAllister wasn't a fan of Bisgrove and Bisgrove decided to be a prick to him as soon as he became CEO. The decision supposedly made Jimmy Bells family remove all of the memorabilia he left from the training ground. 

But allowed their grandson on to the park at the final? 

1 minute ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

Think the rumour was Bisgrove accused him of stealing and sacked him over it. 

That’s true was complete nonsense , spoke to Jim before Xmas , bisgrove is a bar steward none of the players/ staff have a good word to say about him

6 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

That’s true was complete nonsense , spoke to Jim before Xmas , bisgrove is a bar steward none of the players/ staff have a good word to say about him

Bisgrove furious about the league cup final against them when Jim refused to print their name on the shirts and done it the proper way we have always done it with the embroidery around the badge? Then Jim complained back about the shit quality Castore had sent up?

I don't get the whole point of it? McAllister was sacked by Bisgrove for allegedly stealing which seems to be set up as they fell out or had a disagreement? Total playground stuff and absolutely amateurish from Bisgrove as the guy in charge. It seemed like JM was going to carry on JB's legacy as well

1 minute ago, RossS1873 said:

I don't get the whole point of it? McAllister was sacked by Bisgrove for allegedly stealing which seems to be set up as they fell out or had a disagreement? Total playground stuff and absolutely amateurish from Bisgrove as the guy in charge. It seemed like JM was going to carry on JB's legacy as well

It's been said before that the decision makers at the club don't want Rangers men involved with the club(I know Souness is supposed to have a minor role now)

Might have been @STEPPS BOY who said that? Apologies if it wasn't you mate and I've imagined that :lol: 

4 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

It's been said before that the decision makers at the club don't want Rangers men involved with the club(I know Souness is supposed to have a minor role now)

Might have been @STEPPS BOY who said that? Apologies if it wasn't you mate and I've imagined that :lol: 

You know I would understand wanting the best guys for the job running the place but to stitch up the kitman cause he's a Rangers man seems a bit off if you ask me. Rather just have yes men not answering back it's no wonder we've had such little success

13 minutes ago, RossS1873 said:

Erald who was there before Macalister was also sacked for stealing but I think he went after the club for racism 

10 minutes ago, RossS1873 said:

You know I would understand wanting the best guys for the job running the place but to stitch up the kitman cause he's a Rangers man seems a bit off if you ask me. Rather just have yes men not answering back it's no wonder we've had such little success

I don't think he was improperly sacked for being a Rangers man, the two didn't get on after a fall out and Bisgrove thought he could get rid of him quietly a couple days after being a CEO.

1 minute ago, esquire8 said:

I don't think he was improperly sacked for being a Rangers man, the two didn't get on after a fall out and Bisgrove thought he could get rid of him quietly a couple days after being a CEO.

Apologies, I did say in the first message and got mixed up about them falling out and Bisgrove trying to sack him. Still stinks to high heavens

Just now, Sea Bear said:

Thought somebody said at the time it was down to Beale?

Players allegedly went to Beale to sort it out and stop Jim from being sacked. Beale allegedly wouldn't say anything to Bisgrove which then supposedly turned alot of the squad off Beale. Comparing it to the time some board members wanted a member of staff fired for the 55 celebrations videos getting out but Gerrard said if he got fired then he would go too.